Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AT&T is buying out T-Mobile

That should help AT&T expand their 3G/4G network capabilities much quicker. Both are GSM companies and use the same basic handsets. I am a little surprised the SEC allowed the merger, though.

Me and my Dad are on t-moblie but this won't affect us until our 2 year contract is over in 22 more months. If I do get a job I likely won't be able to upgrade my phone and get in on the unlimited data plan with the Galaxy S or the Sidekick 4G.

That said once the contract is up i'm doing everything in my power to make damn sure AT&T doesn't get any more money for being the worst rated cell phone company in the nation. Also hopefully government does the right thing in not letting two companies control OVER 75% of the cell phone market. (AT&T, Verizon)

but I assume either republicans or democrats (likely both) have enough money in their pockets to not care at all.

Butterfly Mage

If the merger goes through, prices will go way up and customer service will go way down.

Well, this is news. I would think that phone companies like AT&T would learn from their first merger with Insertnamehere.

Quote Originally Posted by JATO457 View Post
    Well, this is news. I would think that phone companies like AT&T would learn from their first merger with Insertnamehere.

Your telling me right? I was thinking the same thing

PaddedPuppy

T-Mobile in the UK has just joined with Orange.

Are they slowly trying to kill TM?

im not surprised that the merger was allowed to go through. this country via the government is a wholly owned subsidary of corporations and the wealthy. the straw the broke the camel's back was the citizens united v.s the united states supreme court case being decided in favor of corporations.

i agree prices will go up and customer service will go down. this is what happens when corporations eat up competitors and gain monopoly status.

I don;t think that AT&T and T-mobile will be allowed to merge as a whole. No merger with cell phone companies are ever allowed to be entire. When Verizon Wireless bought Alltel, they could not take over every market. If a market had Verizon and Alltel as the two major license holders in the area, then they were not allowed to merge. Alltel survives, maybe not forever, but for now.

Now, with T-mobile not being a major player in the USA, it may be different. Maybe T-mobile could teach AT&T about customer service. It is said that T-Mobile has very good customer service.

Quote Originally Posted by waslost1234abc View Post
    im not surprised that the merger was allowed to go through. this country via the government is a wholly owned subsidary of corporations and the wealthy. the straw the broke the camel's back was the citizens united v.s the united states supreme court case being decided in favor of corporations.

i agree prices will go up and customer service will go down. this is what happens when corporations eat up competitors and gain monopoly status.
    It hasn't been approved yet. However I don't think it's likely the government will forbid it.