Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Retrogamers take note: thinking of selling my Atari 2600

Default Retrogamers take note: thinking of selling my Atari 2600

So, I just recently acquired an Atari 7800. For the past 7 years I have owned an Atari 2600 (Darth Vader Model), and I am getting pretty desperate for cash as I don't have a job right now. Should I sell the Atari 2600? Provided it's sold to an individual that I trust will take care of it.

P.S. For those who don't know, an Atari 7800 can also play 99% of 2600 games

Hmm... Provided you have no particular attachment to the machine and are really, REALLY strapped for the cash, I suppose you could sell it. But if you think you would regret selling it later and can find other ways to make ends meet right now, then don't.

Another consideration: are there any 2600 games that you really want to be able to play but aren't compatible with the 7800? I would personally have a look at online compatibility lists.

My dad had an Atari 2600 (wood grain, 6 switch, an early model) with joysticks, paddles, and several games. It wound up in one of our garage sales, and before I could put it back inside, a guy found it (with a huge grin on his face; it was in perfect shape) and it was sold for way less than what it should have gone for. I miss that thing

Quote Originally Posted by captainpollution View Post
    So, I just recently acquired an Atari 7800. For the past 7 years I have owned an Atari 2600 (Darth Vader Model), and I am getting pretty desperate for cash as I don't have a job right now. Should I sell the Atari 2600? Provided it's sold to an individual that I trust will take care of it.

P.S. For those who don't know, an Atari 7800 can also play 99% of 2600 games
    This is kind of a tough one. On one hand, you have a system that will still play the games, and if you sell the 2600 someone else can enjoy it, besides you making some cash.

On the other hand, if the 7800 takes a nose-dive, can it be repaired? If not, it might be worth hanging onto the 2600 as a backup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GoodJams1

I'm kinda in the same pickle, but a good bit more modern.
    I have a fat ps3 that's ps2 compatible, and a Xbox 360.
    I want to sell the Xbox 360, but fear that as soon as I do, the ps3 will screw up.

As soon as it leaves your hands, you can't guarantee what will happen to it so if you want to make sure it stays in original shape, I'd hang onto it. Some people are cutting them down into handhelds and such (see The Official Blog of Benjamin J Heckendorn)

Vintage Atari 2600 VCS units keep going up in price, so if you sell it and later want to get one again, it may end up costing you. Be absolutely sure you want to do it. I have a 7800 myself, but use the 2600 for all the original tapes. Atari 2600 stuff is one thing I NEVER get rid of. My mother gave me her original 2600 6-switch "woody" when I was in Kindergarten, and we hooked it up to the old '79 Zenith my grandparents had. I played it every day until it stopped working. This was in the 90's, so the next Sunday, we went out to the flea market and bought another system and some more tapes for it. The systems then were never more than a couple bucks, so replacement systems were always cheap! Had to replace the units a few more times for various reasons. Even after we got our first modern console (N64 in 98), we never got rid of the Atari. I continued to play it daily alongside the N64. I still have all of the Atari stuff, Joysticks, Paddles, Drivers, tapes, and all kinds of third-party controllers because I often liked playing with the third-party stuff more than the original. I am currently looking for a nice vintage television. Sure I could hook it up to a modern TV, but then it kinda loses a bit of that vintage feel!

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I will keep it now.

My dad says we got about 3-4 atari's floating around somewhere.

However I KNOW we have two comadore 64's, and a working vectrex... minus the screen overlays. We got the vectrex used for like 25 bucks or less.. in about 20 years im sure I could sell it off for maybe 300 with the two controllers and the 3 or so games we got for it.

Let's see, I have:

ColecoVision

Every single Game Boy model released in the US

Atari 2600, 7800

Commodore 64

N64

PS2

Wii

and a broken SNES.

Believe me, I'm not giving away any of these, except the SNES.
    I would rather get a Super Famicom than keep the SNES, so if anyone wants my broken SNES, feel free to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by captainpollution View Post
    Let's see, I have:

ColecoVision

Every single Game Boy model released in the US

Atari 2600, 7800

Commodore 64

N64

PS2

Wii

and a broken SNES.

Believe me, I'm not giving away any of these, except the SNES.
    I would rather get a Super Famicom than keep the SNES, so if anyone wants my broken SNES, feel free to ask.
    Here's a trick for you.

Looking from the top of an American SNES (where you push in the games), push open the door with your finger and look inside down by where the game connects to the system. You will see two plastic protrusions.

Next, look at the back of an American market SNES game cartridge. You will see two odd depressions at the bottom of the cartridge (on the connector end).

Yes, those two protrusions inside the door and those two depressions on the cartridge are in fact related. Not only are they related, they are the only region lockout method employed on the Super Nintendo versus the Super Famicon.

Take a pair of long needle-nose pliers and a razor cutter and whatever other tool you think might work and remove those tabs from inside the door. Once you've done that, you suddenly have an American market Super Nintendo that will play Japanese market Super Famicon games.

Take note of the tabs that have already been removed. You can see the stubs of where they were. My SNES is a second-generation that I bought in 1999 brand new.

This is my system with Japanese-market-only Dragon Quest V. (I can't read Japanese, but a friend of mine knows I'm a huge fan of the series and picked it up for me at a con).

And this is a screenshot of my American TV and my American SNES playing Japanese Dragon Quest V.