Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Want to try to get back into reading.

Default Want to try to get back into reading.

So I don't read as much I would like, So I need a few good suggestions of books that are amazing!

I just got done re-reading Harry Potter 7 (Only the last half, where they left off in the movie)

I am in the process of finding Shutter Island and Everything's Eventual by, Steven King for the short story 1408.

But those won't take me very long to finish, so just need a few suggestions on where to head next?

Mhm, if you like thrillers I would recomend the millenium trilogy (The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl With that Played With Fire and The Girl With that Kicked the Hornest's Nest). The movies are also quite well as companion pieces.

Sent from my iPhone

I want to get into reading more as well, I never have really been into reading to begin with though, I think the only book I can honestly say I read front to back without skipping through it(besides children's books when I was younger) would be "Where The Heart Is" when I was a junior in high school. I have tried reading "The Lord Of The Rings" on multiple occasions ever since 5th grade when the movies came out and I got book for x-mas that year ( its the one with all three in one). I want to read the Harry Potter books because of how epic the movies are. I always hear about how when people read they can picture whats happening and basically create whats happening in their head but I don't ever feel like that happens, I always get bored now matter how much I try to trudge through it, I just end up giving up.

The thing about people saying "Well, I need to read more" is that, generally speaking... if you have to force yourself to read a book, it's not a good book or you're not interested in it. You don't have to read Classic Literature to get something from reading. It's okay to read that novel you saw in the Romance section of Walmart. There's not much of a difference (and people that say otherwise are just acting pretentious). Remember what we like might not be your taste.

The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings - fun reads if you like Tolkien's writing style. It feels odd sometimes because he tended to use lots of weird landscape terms we don't use anymore.
    The World Inside
    Six-Moon Dance
    Any of the Discworld books by Terry Pratchett. Very fun reads!
    The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy trilogy
    Anne Rice's Sleeping Beauty series <-- NOT for kids or those squeamish about graphic stuff.
    I personally loved the Warcraft novel series like Of Blood and Honor and Lord of the Clans. They are better if you're familiar with the Warcraft universe (Warcraft 1,2, 3 and Frozen Throne do count here)

That said, if you look in the right places you can find some awesome fanfiction and original stories by regular ol' people to read. An author doesn't have to be paid to be a great writer. Not all of it is bubbly bad "and they lived happy forever after!!! <3 ^_^" fangirl slobber, though I'll indulge in the occasional Larry Sue MPREG Blather. They're bad, but life is so much more fun when you don't live your life according to what your bitter high school english teacher told you.

Yeah! We had a good book suggestions thread a year ago or so.

Well the Left Behind series is good so is Hatchet. The Art of War is good to, but thats just my opinion.

Visit your friendly local public library. Either a. explain to a librarian your 'predicament' and allow her/him to suggest titles or b. explore yourself! The possibilities are endless! Try non-fiction if you find it difficult to decide what may be a good read for you. Good luck and enjoy!

Just a question to everyone posting here, I'm the kind of guy that like provocative reading. I have an imagination but I can't picture every little detail the most books go through excruciating and meticulous ammounts of time just to describe split second scenes like a car wreck or some crap like that. Any idea on how to get accustomed to those "Details details" kinda books? Would appreciate advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Thecomedyoflife View Post
    Just a question to everyone posting here, I'm the kind of guy that like provocative reading. I have an imagination but I can't picture every little detail the most books go through excruciating and meticulous ammounts of time just to describe split second scenes like a car wreck or some crap like that. Any idea on how to get accustomed to those "Details details" kinda books? Would appreciate advice.
    Learn to skim. If something starts to go into meticulous detail, I just skim past until the subject changes. If it says car crash, I just need the basics. T-bone hit, car and motorcycle, car was red, motorcycle was black, back tire of motorcycle sticking out of the passenger side of the car. That's all I need. I can put the rest of the pieces together on my own. That's how I read all of Tolkien's books in ten minutes. I'd read the first couple words and then skip to the end of the book. (He really used TOO MUCH detail)

Even some of my favourite books do this on occasion. If you like the book, but you start doing that thing where you read a line without actually understanding what you're reading so you keep reading it over and over again, then just skip a little bit ahead. VERY rarely will you skip an important part, because those usually have decent build up so you're voraciously devouring the text word-by-word.