Thread: Should I use waist or hips for measurement?

moon728

Default Should I use waist or hips for measurement?

I have 26" waist and 31" hips. Should I use hips even when the measurements say nothing about hips because of the 5" difference? I do like a snugger diaper though, and experimenting really isn't my thing. I definitely don't want it to rip within 4 hours; I have had a problem with larger diapers nearly leaking; and I like diapers with tapes far better.

---------- Post added at 21:05 ---------- Previous post was at 21:03 ----------
    Will the S/M Goodnites fit me...or would I need a larger size? In the initial post, I was talking about adult diapers with the measurements on the package/website.

Go with the l/xl goodnites. I'm just a bit smaller than you and they fit me snugly, so they should fit you extra snug. If you buy the s/m ones, they probably won't fit. Good luck!

When in doubt, go with whichever measurement is larger. I know someone who had larger hips than waist and ordered according to waist, and the diapers were tight to the point of being slightly painful, apparently.

angelabauer

Quote Originally Posted by Maytricks View Post
    When in doubt, go with whichever measurement is larger. I know someone who had larger hips than waist and ordered according to waist, and the diapers were tight to the point of being slightly painful, apparently.
    I totally agree, always use the larger of hips and waist when selecting the size of adult diapers and waterproof pants.

Another factor is the size of the upper thigh. This is why weight is often part of size charts.

Still another factor is rise, the length from crotch to the top of the diaper. This is where baby diapers are not practical on older kids, teens or adults. Even when they do stretch enough to not tear around the top, they lack enough length to rise high enough that they are above the wide point of the hips. Thus as soon as they get wet the top elastic fails and they slide down, leaking badly.

The better size charts for adult diapers and pull-on consider height to figure rise, weight to figure thigh size and hips/waist to figure stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by angelabauer View Post
    I totally agree, always use the larger of hips and waist when selecting the size of adult diapers and waterproof pants.

Another factor is the size of the upper thigh. This is why weight is often part of size charts.

Still another factor is rise, the length from crotch to the top of the diaper. This is where baby diapers are not practical on older kids, teens or adults. Even when they do stretch enough to not tear around the top, they lack enough length to rise high enough that they are above the wide point of the hips. Thus as soon as they get wet the top elastic fails and they slide down, leaking badly.

The better size charts for adult diapers and pull-on consider height to figure rise, weight to figure thigh size and hips/waist to figure stretch.
    Yeah, as a thinner person, I have trouble with diapers that are too big around the thighs. I wish more companies would give estimates as to what thigh size the diapers are intended for.

angelabauer

Quote Originally Posted by chipbutty View Post
    Yeah, as a thinner person, I have trouble with diapers that are too big around the thighs. I wish more companies would give estimates as to what thigh size the diapers are intended for.
    Chip Butty and ADISC members,

Say what you will about Attends products, but they have been making adult disposables longer than any company still in business. Their "Brief Sizing Grid" is accurate and very useful. for selecting their products.

People like me who have always worn diapers because of incontinence figured out as we grew which size and brand worked best on us. Then when we stopped growing we can simply keep ordering the same size. In my case my first correctly fitting Attends in August 1981 was then called "Adult Small Brief" for hips 20"-28" weight 85-100 pounds and height 4'10" to 5'2" at the time I was (and still am) 5'3" and weigh 105 pounds. My hips have grown from 26" at 17 to 29" at 46. These days that same diaper is called "Youth" but the product code is the same as when it was called "Small" BRCL1000

If you are new to wearing adult underwear or diapers then it really helps to talk to customer service experts with diaper vendors. I buy my Attends from Care Givers Partners, but there are several similar firms. They can talk you through taking necessary measurements. I have not needed to ask for a sample in ages, but I am told Attends is generous sending a sample of more than one size if there is any doubt. Their customer service folks are nice and helpful.

When I first needed Attends Mom and I went to a supermarket. They stocked Attends Medium and Large. Knowing no better I assumed Medium was the smallest made. When we got home they were clearly too large, mostly in the leg holes. I used 6 or 7 trying to find a compromise position for the top and bottom sticky tapes. That was on a Saturday, so I had to wait until 6 AM in California on Monday for it to be 9 AM in North Carolina. The nice lady at Attends customer service listened to me and said she was not sure if I was small enough for a size then called "Youth" which was for hips smaller than 18" up to 22" or "Small" So she said for me to go to a certain medical supply store about 20 minutes from my family's home. They would open at 9 AM my time.

Mom called her boss and said she needed to take me to a medical appointment so would be in after 10:15 AM. When she drove up to the store only the owner was on duty. He had a box each of Youth and Small already on his counter. When I reached into my purse for my wallet to pay, he said Attends had asked him to give me those boxes as a factory sample. I thanked him and as soon as I got home I tried on the Small first. They fit me well, with a little room to spare in the hips and leg holes. I never opened the box of Youth. As soon as I was wearing my first Small, which I put on snug the first try, I called that lady at Attends to thank her and report my success. When I offered to take the bus back to the store to give the owner the box of Youth, she asked me instead to give them to someone who needed them. I called the store owner to thank him. He suggested I give the rest of the Medium and the box of Youth to my urologist's office. That was where I went on the bus after lunch, wearing a fresh Attends Small.

I know I had to buy 2 more boxes of Small before I left for university back east. To get used to switching from pinned gauze diapers to Attends I was wearing one Attends all late afternoon and changing to a new one for bed. The university housing director said the campus store stocked all sizes of Attends and that was true even when I graduated from pre-law in 1985. In those days Attends even made a "Junior" which was about the size of a current Size 6 or 7.

I believe at that time the largest Pampers was similar to a current Size 4.

So, as I say, talk to customer service experts about size. Who knows you might receive free samples. I have subsequently bought hundreds of cases of Attends over the almost 30 years since August 1981!

moon728

That chart puts me right at the edge of Small and Medium, but only because of height. The hips say small though. My measurements don't work well together...

I'm guessing you're female since your two measurements are different. Always go with your hip measurment - it's the widest part and so that's what you need to get to fit you.

As for Goodnites, go for the L/XL size. I've got 32 inch hips and they fit me perfectly, so at 31, they should fit you well too.

moon728

Lol. I am a guy.