Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rosetta Stone Program

Default Rosetta Stone Program

My daughter has been fascinated with languages for years and trys to learn some of them. She has customers of other nationalities come in Food Lion who always look for her when she's on duty as a cashier, so they can converse a little with her in their language while checking out. She gets a kick out of doing it as well - says it's the only fun part of the day. Most of them say she speaks very well for as little time as she's been learning. They teach her a few more words everytime they come in. Currently, she's speaking some Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, Russian, French, and Spanish.

Anyway, she recently purchased Part I of the Japanese Rosetta Stone software to increase her knowledge even more and absolutely loves it so far. From what she tells me about it, the program teaches you much the same way a child learns a language from the beginning - associating visual objects and actions with words. She really gets into it because I hear her jibber-jabbering in Japanese with her headset on while watching the monitor. The program lets you know if you didn't speak back correctly. Since she wants to work in a medical office I told her these language skills could come in handy. Especially with the population ever diversifying in nationalities around here it could be a plus for her landing a job. If I ever decided to pick up on German again I might give it a try myself. Has anyone else tried using this language program? If so, how do you rate it?

~Pramrider

I tried the web demo and it seemed pretty cool. Unfortunately they don't produce a Linux version, though. But apparently it works under Wine.

I am learning German with the Talk Now! program and it's good so far. I would have liked to use Rosetta Stone but my parents got me this instead, it's not bad the first disk starts by teaching you the basics such as numbers, colors, food, body, time, and first words. It is a in a set that is 5 discs and it's worth it in my opionion.

I haven't used Rosetta Stone, but it did seem like a good program to use for learning another language. The demo was also pretty interesting, using pictures and words instead of just memorizing the words. Thanks for telling us about it, Pramrider; I might just have to actually buy it now.... It is quite expensive, though, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by whitefox View Post
    I might just have to actually buy it now.... It is quite expensive, though, isn't it?
    Altogether, it was around $225 to $250 for the first part, with taxes and shipping. There appears to be three parts for each language as you progress. Each one is purchased separately, or you can buy two or three parts together at a discount. Guess like most anything else, you get what you pay for. You might want to get the free demo first as Chevre did. That's what my daughter did first before laying out nearly $250. Though they have a 6 month return policy if you're not happy with the program.

Kenshin, thanks for the info! I'll have to check that program out as well.

~Pramrider

Kip

I've always wanted to learn Spanish and I have looked at Rosetta Stone. My mom tried to learn Spanish using another progrm, but she didn't get very far/ Maybe I'll have her take a look at this program and see what she says.

Quote Originally Posted by Kip View Post
    I've always wanted to learn Spanish and I have looked at Rosetta Stone. My mom tried to learn Spanish using another progrm, but she didn't get very far/ Maybe I'll have her take a look at this program and see what she says.
    As I just added in an edit to my previous post, she could get the free demo to try before commiting herself to buying it. I only know what my daughter has told me about it so far, but she seems very pleased with what she's learned in the short while she's had the program.

~Pramrider

Quote Originally Posted by Pramrider View Post
    Kenshin, thanks for the info! I'll have to check that program out as well.

~Pramrider
    Here's a link to there site.

Talk Now! Language CD-ROM Series

daria7483

I took French in middle school, Spanish in high school, but don't remember much of either. So awhile back I bought some inexpensive software to try to brush up on my French. It wasn't bad, but I only used it once or twice. I don't know why, really. There just wasn't anything about the software that made me want to do it in my spare time. There was a lot of matching pictures to words and stuff that seemed kind of boring and kiddie-ish. I would like to try Rosetta Stone, as I've heard lots of good things about it.

I think it's great that your daughter is dedicating her spare time to learning a new language, Pramrider. I really believe that we need to start teaching languages earlier in the U.S. More people would become fluent or at least be able to converse in another language if they started it in kindergarten instead of middle or high school. Unfortunately there still seem to be quite a few people in this country who think that learning another language (particularly Spanish) means that the foreigners are taking over, so it seems doubtful that these programs could get the funding they'd need anytime soon.

Peachy

Quote Originally Posted by Kenshin Himura View Post
    I am learning German with the Talk Now! program and it's good so far. I would have liked to use Rosetta Stone but my parents got me this instead, it's not bad the first disk starts by teaching you the basics such as numbers, colors, food, body, time, and first words. It is a in a set that is 5 discs and it's worth it in my opionion.
    I wonder if I still have my English textbook from 5th grade (my first year of learning English). All I remember is that it featured a family (whose name I forgot) with two parents, a boy, a girl and a dog named Toby and a cat named Tibby. Good times. We certainly didn't learn about body parts until way later.

Let me know when your program finally reaches the point where a "Windel" comes into play!

Peachy