Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Some footies I made...

Cool Some footies I made...

After I bought some footie pajamas last year, I found that I liked footies so much that I wanted to make some myself... so finally I did, and this is the result. I think they turned out pretty well, considering that I had only done small repairs or alterations up to that point, and I only had a cheap $89 Singer from walmart to work with. I have three more patterns I've cut out, but not assembled yet... Anyway, the zipper goes down to right above the knee, and it has a butt-flap and pockets as well. The cost for the materials (3 yards of fabric, zipper, snaps, thread, etc) was about $28-$30 (Retail). Kinda expensive, but it's not too bad I guess... I get to pick the fabric I want, so that's cool. They took 5-8 hours to make each, depending on how many mistakes I made (and there were a few mistakes).

So here's a view of the front---

And a view of the back showing the butt-flap. (made with elastic and five snaps)---

Yep, monsters and dinosaurs. I like 'em. :P

Excellent work ! I really like them...I wish I could sew half as well...

Wow thats pretty amazing! I could only wish to be able to sew anywhere near as good as that xD. They look great!

Wow, these look amazing! You definitely did an amazing job; I couldn't ever hope to sew anything nearly this well. Congrats!

Thanks for the compliments everyone!

I also wanted to mention that I got the fabric from Jo-Ann's fabrics and crafts. I used the non-slip gripper fabric from Jo-Ann's as well; it was in the utility fabrics. That was a lucky find because I didn't even realize you could buy gripper fabric retail, I was just looking around the store and happened to spot it. Until then I didn't know how I could make the sole of the foot nonslip. When I found the gripper fabric I thought "AWESOME! Now I'm making my own footies for sure!"

I think that you all believe making footies is harder than it really is. I mean, don't get me wrong, it wasn't the easiest thing in the world, but it wasn't the most difficult thing by any means either. Sewing the feet and the collar was the hardest part, and the zipper and sleeve cuffs were a little tricky as well. Those are smaller parts, so there's a smaller margin for error. There was a learning curve though... I had to rip out stitches and resew more than a few things. Usually those mistakes were caused by my carelessness and/or failure to properly plan and/or being tired. I ripped so many stitches that now there's little bits of red and blue thread tracked all over the house, lol. Btw, I copied the pattern from some footies I bought online.

Anyway, here's the three other unfinished footies I'm working on. (Or not working on, actually. Maybe I'll finish them someday if I can stop being so lazy.)

I thought about making a guide on sewing footies, but I don't know how I would post a pattern. I transferred the pattern from my purchased footies onto poster board, so unless you have a printer that can take poster board, I don't know how that would work.

It's funny, when I bought my first pair of footies I thought to myself, "These are the only footies I'll buy. Period. I can't let this get out of hand." I now have five pairs. It'll be eight when I finish the three I've started. Footies certainly are a slippery slope, lol.

Here's some other patterns that I like or that some people here might like:

I particurarly like numbers 3, 6, 7, 12-16, 18, 19, 22, 25, 29-31, 34, 35, 37-39. So many patterns, so little time and money. :P
    Last edited by Trevor; 31-Mar-2011 at 03:55. Reason: adding spoiler tags at poster's request.

Great job with the pajamas. I really need to learn how to sew and get my own machine so I can make some for myself. Oh, and pattern #6 is really cute.