Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Applying for jobs: Tips and Tricks

Default Applying for jobs: Tips and Tricks

Share your tips and tricks for the younger folk.

1. Dress nice
    2. refer to them as ser/mam
    3.Fill out your application completely. (personal references/work history )

I'd say less "dress nice", than "dress appropriately". If you're applying to work maintenance, showing up in a three piece suit will create the wrong impression. In this case, I would go with pressed dickies and a button down shirt. Alternately, when I was applying as wait staff at Cheeseburger in Paradise, I wore jeans, sneakers, and bright T-shirt. Since the emphasis is on outgoing and lively personalities in a semi-casual environment, I strove to create that impression.

Dress nice as in professionally is very important even when applying to for something such as burger king it may not always be a suit but not casual. (or at least thats what i was taught)

be well groomed and clean, if you have facial hair make sure it's trimmed and neat, and for the love of god, try to smell nice :P

so be sure to shower and maintain your look, deodorant too is a good thing, and brushed teeth

I wouldn't call anyone 'Ser' or 'Mam'. If I was going down that route it would be Sir or Ma'am. In the UK though that's a really stilted way to refer to someone, so I would avoid it unless the situation required it.

I was always taught to dress for an interview at '1 level higher than everyone already working there'. Just a little bit nicer than everyone who already works there sets a good impression without being too over the top.And that fits in with the next point:

Do your homework.

When you're applying make sure you know what you're applying for and what the company do and are looking for, and tailor your application/cover letter/CV to suit.

Quote Originally Posted by Talula View Post
    Do your homework.

When you're applying make sure you know what you're applying for and what the company do and are looking for, and tailor your application/cover letter/CV to suit.
    This a biggie! Nothing will show up better than a cover letter/CV that reflects what they are asking for in their job list description. But at the same time, leave some room for other qulities you beleive they may want. They may assign you to a slightly different role than advertised. But generally sounding that you are in the know really wins you points with regards to other first timers lookign to start their career in a certain section.

this is more for interviewing tips. But if you get asked a question you don't know the answer to, mostly for technical ones. Say you don't know, but know where to look for the answer (I did say once you could just google it). Shows aptitude to learn more and become better with your job.

The obvious, be polite, turn off your cell phone, dress appropriately, etc.
    Less obvious maybe, be yourself, be original. I got my best job ever by just writing I love to work with people (the job was to work with people).

Default A few more tips

Quote Originally Posted by Valerye View Post
    Share your tips and tricks for the younger folk.

1. Dress nice
    2. refer to them as ser/mam
    3.Fill out your application completely. (personal references/work history )

My advice would be to dress smartly, but conservatively. Wear something that is simple, smart, neat and tidy. Make sure your tie (if you're a male) is understated, your clothes are ironed, and your shoes are clean an polished.

Try and wear a sit if you can. Don't wear a dark shirt or a red tie.

Groom yourself properly before the interview. Make sure you shave properly in the morning, and your hands are clean and your fingernails trimmed and scrubbed. It's amazing the little things interviewers pick up on.

Turn your mobile off before the interview starts.

Before the interview, try and do as much research about the company, and the position you are going for. They are likely to ask why you want to work in that position. Try and have a good answer prepared. Think before hand of your strengths and weaknesses. Downplay your weaknesses without being arrogant, and try and highlight your strengths without appearing to boast.

Don't interrupt the interview while he is talking, even by agreeing with him, or signalling your assent. While addressing him or her, look them in the eye and maintain eye contact. While being addressed, maintain eye contact to a point, breaking it occasionally. Don't fidget and don't cross your arms over your chest.

Upon commencing and concluding the interview, offer the interview a firm and polite handshake.

Have questions prepared to ask the interviewer. Good examples are questions such as 'is there room for growth within the company' as it signals your intent to make a career there. (whether that is your intent or not..)

Turn your weakness into a strong suit, and then give an example in your work history about how you have overcome that weakness. Don't be afraid to make that weakness something that could potentially make you very unsuitable for your job - these aren't idiot drones, than can see you trying to tailor things to make you look even better. Be honest.

Tunnel vision. I tend to get very focused in on one aspect and when I'm asked to handle something new thrown into the mix, sometimes I can't handle that well. That is extremely bad for the job I was applying for. Maybe even one of the worst traits an employee could have for this particular job. In retrospect, not the best to use, but it's the trait I always use in ANY job application and I didn't come well prepared.

Anyway, I recovered. I said this allows me to complete a given task very quickly and with high efficiency. But, in the job I came from, I was required to handle many things at once and multitask, and even had a manager's position abruptly thrust upon me without notice - and I did handle it quite well. I learned to overcome that.

If you have previous work experience that you can draw on - that's a real boon. It's like saying "yeah, I have this weakness, but I've been asked to overcome it in the past before and I've handled it well."

Out of the four applicants that survived the pruning process (there were eight to begin with), I was the first to be hired.

Loosen up. Try to get the picture in your head that you are having a conversation with a group of friends. Remain professional, but the more "at ease" you are, the more personable you appear, the more likable you are.

Don't ask questions or give answers that presume you are going to be hired or presume too much on the company.

"So, what's the benefit package I'm going to get?"

"Can you explain a little more about the benefit package I'd be getting if I were hired?"

On the leadership question: Don't give the standard "I make a great leader" answer. Show flexibility. You're almost certainly going to be working under someone.

I told my interview panel (there were five people) that I worked well within a group, and while I preferred to follow, if I sensed a need to rise to a leadership position, I had no problem finding the incentive to do so.

If that's not true about you, however, don't lie. Just word it so it doesn't make you sound bad.

Talk with your hands. Women do this easier than guys, but it makes you seem more personable.

I think that's about all I can remember.

You can train an interview with a friend. It helps.