Thread: Which diaper is good for sensitive skin?

Default Which diaper is good for sensitive skin?

Despite that I use baby powder, I still get rashes sometimes... =( Also, whenever my diaper got wet, I usually change within 5 minutes. So the title pretty much said it all for the question. Just wondering if you know. Help is much appreciated, so I can try something new in the future. =)

If you have very sensitive skin I would recommend you try some sort of barrier cream, rather than powder.
    At every change I am careful to clean thoroughly, with wipes or with soap and water, dry well, then I apply Amolin baby cream (from Bayer) and tape up.
    If I start to develop a rash I treat it with a fungicidal ointment, the newer ones will fix up an infected rash in a jiffy. Also I try to get some air and sunlight on my skin, that is always good for skin health, after being trapped in a damp diaper.
    Diapers that wick the wees away from your skin are going to be best for sensitive skin. Good disposables with a dry feel barrier are best. Definitely keep away from cloth.

angelabauer

Quote Originally Posted by EmilyPotter View Post
    Despite that I use baby powder, I still get rashes sometimes... =( Also, whenever my diaper got wet, I usually change within 5 minutes. So the title pretty much said it all for the question. Just wondering if you know. Help is much appreciated, so I can try something new in the future. =)
    Hi Emily, I see from your profile you have been using diapers since you were 7 so about 20 years. You also only wear occasionally and then usually GoodNites.

I am a woman who is profoundly urinary incontinent, meaning I dribble urine almost constantly, like an infant. I reverted to bedwetting at puberty in 1976. Back then the last time I had worn a diaper was on a long car trip 3 months before. In 1976 there were no adult disposables and I was way too large for baby Pampers. I had to wear pinned gauze diapers. It took me weeks to get used to being diapered from 9pm to 6am. I had been taught to change my own diapers. So if I woke up during the night I would change to a dry diaper.

My urologist's nurse taught me that baby powder does not prevent rash. In fact, baby powder is a leading cause of yeast infection.

The best way to avoid rash is to not only wash with soap and water, before putting on a new diaper, wipe your entire area with top-quality baby wipes. They really help prepare your skin for the combination of urine and diaper material.

GoodNites are convenient, but are designed for exceptionally light wetting by older kids and young teens. Adults concentrate urine differently. Try good quality adult pull-on underwear-style diapers. Although not very babyish, Depends are gentle on the skin of incontinent adults. People who are incontinent and order on-line also find Attends and Secure disposable undies gentle and with more capacity.

Thank you both for wonderful advice! That does help me much and will do that.

Yep, I wore diapers on and off for about 20 years now. Goodnites for about 12 years and counting though. I was once a bedwetter (stopped at age 14) but unfortunately, I have to wear light pads 24/7 due to constant urine dribbling that I have no control over - it's very minor though.

I like the Molicares more than anything else I have tried. They breathe really well on the sides and feel much softer than the Abenas I have.
    I'm not sure if they are more likely to leak, but I certainly prefer them so far and will be ordering them over the Abenas unless something bad happens.

But if you're going to consistently change that quickly you probably don't need something built for that much absorbency, so IDK.

Diaper padding comes in two varieties, pulp and sap. Sap actually locks away liquid, whereas pulp is better at wicking it away to the back of the diaper near the shell, or to other dryer parts of the diaper. (sap doesn't move the liquid) So if you are a light wetter, a high sap diaper is one thing you can do to keep your skin dry and cut down on irritation.

I hear Molicares are good and I always wanted to try that so I might give that a try someday soon!
    I never knew about pulp and sap varieties... that's something new for me to learn. Yep, definitely the sap ones are the best for me.
    Thanks to you both for the advices. =)