Thread: Cool Christmas present

Default Cool Christmas present

I didn't realize there was a thriving techno geek community here so i think you guys can appreciate this.

For Christmas I got my little brother a new laptop, why is that interesting you ask, because I got him the Asus G73JH. He tells me he is now the envy of every gamer at school because his laptop outperforms their desktops and the non geek crowd like his laptop because it looks like a stealth fighter. So score one for the older brother making his little bro look good!

I'm considering buying myself a decked out computer, laptop or desktop, although I can't really find anything decent. Most of the stuff is overpriced due to an extreme amount of ram, half-way decent processors, also including a TERRIBLE video card. That is the part that annoys me. There is a computer on amazon with an i7 960,12 gigs of RAM and costs only $1100.. although I would need to go and buy another video card for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffwill1 View Post
    I got him the Asus G73JH. He tells me he is now the envy of every gamer at school because his laptop outperforms their desktops and the non geek crowd like his laptop because it looks like a stealth fighter. So score one for the older brother making his little bro look good!
    That is impressive for a laptop and quite an awesome gift for a little brother.

But if I had that money to spend on a new computer, I would much rather spend it on a desktop computer. For the price you paid for that laptop, you can get a hexacore CPU, 2TB hard drive space, 12 GB of RAM, a better video card [AMD HD 6950], a Blue Ray Drive, and Windows 7 Ultimate for better security.

I need to upgrade my comp, my windows hard drive is probably failing, but that hard drive is like 8 years old and 20 gigs, and should be upgraded anyways, and when that happens I might as well grab a nice sized HDD, probably a terabyte, and windows 7, since I'm going from xp to 7 I should probably grab 2 more gigs of ram to max out my board. and at that point I should also upgrade my PSU from 500watts. and at this point I'm debating whether I should just do a full upgrade, get a new processor, MoBo and graphics card in the process.

Wingnut

Buy all the parts your self and build a computer, it will most likely be cheaper that way.

I have to admit that I am a little torn about what hardware to buy because I have always been an adamant AMD and ATI supporter but right now the AMD CPU's are getting kicked around by Intel but the AMD video cards are ruling so if I want blistering speed I have to violate one of my convictions. On the other hand AMD processors are still great performance for the money so I can just say screw it and suffer under the Intel Extreme chipsets.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffwill1 View Post
    I have to admit that I am a little torn about what hardware to buy because I have always been an adamant AMD and ATI supporter but right now the AMD CPU's are getting kicked around by Intel but the AMD video cards are ruling so if I want blistering speed I have to violate one of my convictions. On the other hand AMD processors are still great performance for the money so I can just say screw it and suffer under the Intel Extreme chipsets.
    Nvidia are are comparable to ATI, so you won't lose any graphics by doin' the Intel.