Thread: Hello from Michigan

Default Hello from Michigan

I'm Jim from West branch, Mi. I've been a DL 15 yrs now and I'm in my mid upper 20's. I've talked to some people online but have no DL/AB friends IRL. [removed]
    Last edited by Trevor; 12-Mar-2011 at 20:17. Reason: no e-mails or IM addresses in posts, please.

Another person from Michigan! Welcome to the community. Hope you have a nice day! Why not tell us more about yourself? Like uhh...what do you enjoy doing in your free time or what do you do for a living? That kind of stuff.

I'm like any other dude, like to shoot pool, drink a beer or two, bon fires, mud boggin / trail riding. I'm a pretty easy going dude.

michigan? I want to go to school there, whats the weather like?

Ello Jim! Welcome to ADISC! Hope you enjoy your stay and meet some good friends.

hey there. So are you a winter or summer person? Guessing summer based on the activities you listed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jachan View Post
    Beautiful warm summers, stunning colours in the fall, cold snowy winters. I love this state!

And for our OP, welcome from a fellow Michigander that started in the Thumb!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dlinmi View Post
    I'm Jim from West branch, Mi. I've been a DL 15 yrs now and I'm in my mid upper 20's. I've talked to some people online but have no DL/AB friends IRL. [removed]
    Hi there Jim, welcome to ADISC from another fellow Michigander.

West Branch? Really? I would be careful about making a big deal out of that, since you may be identifiable as the only Jim from that town.

Seriously though, that's really cool. I'm downstate myself, like most people in the state, but my family owns a cottage in the Oscoda/Greenbush area, so just on the other side of the county from you. We used to go up there every summer (for 3 generations/about 60 years), but we sold our half of it to our uncle, whose controlling, attitude issues, and alcoholism made things pretty unbearable to go up there.

Winter starts around November (give or take), and lasts until March or April (though it often tends to linger and make late comebacks). Then, (road) construction season starts, and lasts until the next winter.

Temp-wise though, expect -25 to 5 degrees Celsius (converted all these temps to C for you ) in the winter. 5 to 22 in the fall and spring, and 22 to as high as 40 during the summer (though it usually maxes out between 35 and 38). Michigan is also the second highest ranked state in terms of number of annual lightning strikes (second only to Florida), so beware of that if you are planing on wearing sheet metal around town.

Seriously though, depending on where you are in Canada, Michigan shouldn't be too bizarre for you. If the school is in the northern parts of the state (especially the UP), most things will be pretty much like Canada, from the pond hockey love right down to the accent (well, it's pretty close, lol). If you are going to the southern parts of the state, where most people and schools are, it should be a bit different culturally, in that I find it notably less generous and dirtier. However, you'll likely be no more than an hour or two's drive from the Canadian border. If you're a pure-breed Canadian who loves hockey, it's Hockeytown, so it should have it's head in the right place for you. (Sorry, it's a bit obvious I'm a hockey fan)

Quote Originally Posted by xbabyx View Post
    Beautiful warm summers, stunning colours in the fall, cold snowy winters. I love this state!
    Or, to put it into much shorter terms, that.

Again, welcome to the site there Jim.

Lol, didn't see you're from Canada! If you're in southern Ontario, then you know Michigan's weather, just a bit more unpredictable because of the lakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The winter doesn't bother me, but I don't own a snowmobile. So other than snow blowing the driveway, there is nothing else I do in the winter, lol.