Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Article: Infant Potty Training?

Default Article: Infant Potty Training?

And we all complained that we were potty trained before 2... What is wrong with these parents?

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/09/ny...=1&oref=slogin

the modern day parent wants a ready made kid that can take care of its self.

I just don't understand how the child and parent have a stronger bond? Your basically teaching the kid to be Independant from an early age. Now I don't agree with babying your kids until they're teenagers, but c'mon!

to true, but it seems as if it would be harder to run to a potty when your kid makes a pee pee face, especially if you dont make it and your kid just leaks all over anyway (frustrating?)

i may be a little biased but i think diapers are essential to happiness in children

Quote Originally Posted by babyemo View Post
    i may be a little biased but i think diapers are essential to happiness in children
    What kind of bias could you possibly have

But seriously, that would save a lot of money if the parent had time to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandi View Post
    I just don't understand how the child and parent have a stronger bond? Your basically teaching the kid to be Independant from an early age. Now I don't agree with babying your kids until they're teenagers, but c'mon!
    That sums it up for me. Nice one Mandi.

I don't particularly think there's anything wrong with it, it's very common in large parts of the world and is just a slightly different way of doing things that what we're used to.

I don't think kids should be pushed or forced to potty train when they're resisting it and aren't ready but when they're less than six months old they adapt so quickly and there's a great difference from taking a kid who understands what nappies are out of them when they're nor ready and doing this when they haven't really developed attachments or conceptions, so I don't think it would be a huge problem if the parents can make this work. Really would require an awful lot of attention though.

Darkfinn

The reasoning behind it is this... the vast majority of child care centers will not take kids who are in diapers anymore. If they do take them there is a substancial extra fee for "diaper duty". So you have working mothers trying their best to get the kids into daycare b/c they doesn't have time to raise them properly. They rush the kids out of diapers and pack them off so the "system" can start caring for them.

The one thing that really puzzles me is how parents take care of these kids when they are out in public. An infant's bladder is what... the size of a teacup? They can hold it for maybe 5 minutes. So every 20-30 minutes you are going to be rushing the kid off to the bathroom. How do you go shopping... or to church... or on a road trip somewhere when you have to deal with that sort of thing? If they want the kid to last longer... they simply don't let them drink anything... which leads to chronic dehydration and other lovely health problems.

What the hurry is these days for kids to grow up I'll never understand. Get out of diapers so you can go to school... hurry up and get out of school so you can get a job. A lot of kids are missing their childhood completely... and turning out a lot worse for it.

Then we wonder why AB/DLism is becoming so wide spread. Once these kids "grow up" they want to be able to return to a simpler more joyus time and make up for all that they missed. All the AB/DLs I've talked to over the years seem to share one thing... a short and rough childhood. They were either traumatized by abuse, pushed too hard to grow up, or forced to figure things out on their own b/c mommy & daddy weren't ever there.

Also... I don't really thing this is as popular as the magazine articles & books would have you believe it is. If the trend was towards younger toilet training why would pampers bother with a size 7? I have to believe that their R&D department did a lot of thinking and test-marketing before they gave the go-ahead.

Sure, upper class yuppie white famalies may be toilet training their kids at age 1 or 2 so they can get them into the Harvard of daycare centers. But the majority of this country is made up of lower-middle class people who can't really afford child care in the first place. Grandparents or the lady down the street are typically caring for these kids and would rather keep them in diapers longer b/c it is one less thing to have to worry about.

Overall it is an interesting fad... but I think in the end it is going to be just that... a fad.

Darkfinn: The daycare diaper rule must be American. The daycare I worked at, children were expected to be potty trained when they moved up to the Preschool 1 room, which was 3yr olds +... before that diapers were involved in staff duties.

Darkfinn

Quote Originally Posted by Mandi View Post
    The daycare diaper rule must be American.
    Probably is... what other culture would think up something so senseless?