Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: does having worn a certain type of cloth diaper make you tend to like that style now?

Default does having worn a certain type of cloth diaper make you tend to like that style now?

I make my own cloth diapers, totally flat, single ply.
    I know my mother used flat, folding diapers and I even watched how she folded them when diapering my younger sisters.
    Now, scaled for an obviously bigger body, flat is all I want. Nothing multi-ply, no contours, not even these all-in-ones. Fold that big square into that classic kite shape and pin me in with plastic pants over it...just like in *those* days.

Saying that, is what you were born into, cloth or disposable, what you crave when you get diapered?

I like the feelings that wearing gives me...in the type and style of diaper from my youth.

Lane

Apparently I was in cloth until my sister was born. I am curious about cloth and have one but it is too much work to fit in with my schedule and living situation.

Quote Originally Posted by LAne2k View Post

... Saying that, is what you were born into, cloth or disposable, what you crave when you get diapered?

I like the feelings that wearing gives me...in the type and style of diaper from my youth.
    In my case, it most certainly does influence my choice of diapers, Lane. When I was a baby/ toddler, cloth diapers and plastic pants were the only options available. They are still my first, and favorite choice of padding.

I have no memory of my infant years. According to my mother I was in cloth diapers then. After growing up I tried both cloth and disposable. Despite what I was raised in I now absolutely love disposables more.

I was raised on cloth and plastic pants and was a bedwetter. I still like cloth diapers the best, but I like the pull-on style diapers from Babykins or other places or multi-layer training pants type much better than pin-on diapers. They're easier to get on and off and I just like the feel of them better.

angelabauer

In 1964, when I was born, although several kinds of disposable diapers had been patented and a few manufactured, because they still required pins, disposables were considered an emergency diaper, for trips and so on. What everyone in my family says is that Mom only used classic Curity 21x40" flat gauze diapers. Granny had used those on Mom and her sisters. Great grandmother had used those on Granny. My sister Penny was born in 1959, so she remembers me before I was toilet trained. I remember all of my younger siblings before they were toilet trained. The only time Mom bought disposables was on a trip in the summer of 1972 when our youngest sister Missy (then almost 3) got sick with runny poop. Those were Pampers before the sticky tapes came as part of the diaper. Mom did not know she could have bought tape, or perhaps that small store did not have any. Mom simply fastened those Pampers with the same diaper pins she used on our gauze diapers.

My first clear memory is Memorial Day 1968, not quite 2 months before I turned 4. According to Mom, I had been day dry at 30 months and completely dry at 33 months. However, like Granny, Mom, Aunt Betsy and my sisters, my bladder was tiny and over-active. Granny started the tradition of "just-in-case" diapers for trips and special events. Mom always asked us nicely to be diapered. I certainly never objected and considered being pinned into a diaper which was covered by Gerber vinyl panties like wearing less convenient undies. Even in motels I was never diapered for bed so long as there was a toilet available. That clear memory was at Renaissance Faire and having Mom change me on a lawn surrounded by people. Later Penny, then 9, had her diaper changed outside our tent away from the customers.

Our family was diaper-friendly largely because Granny and Mom wore diapers 24/7. Stacks of folded clean diapers were in most bedrooms. We all knew if we wanted to play in a diaper we only needed to ask Granny, since Mom worked during the day. I never asked to play in a diaper, but I remember when I was in second grade, so Penny was in seventh grade, one afternoon several of her gal pals were at the house, when 3 of them did ask Granny to diaper them.

I only started wearing Attends in 1981 because my university dorm had no washing machines. By 1990 I had been fully urinary incontinent 5 years and constantly dealing with disposables really was depressing me. That was when I turned to AB as a way to cope. While using a pacifier and a baby bottle did make me happy, I never fully got pleasure until May of 1991 when I was able to wear pinned gauze diapers again at home to bed.

Since then it has been the same feelings: when I am wearing pinned gauze diapers I can drift into my AB fantasy and enjoy that; when I am wearing a disposable I only feel like an incontinent adult. Since the introduction of DryMax I usually use a Size 3 Cruiser as the inner soaker of my night diapers so when in bed next to my skin the sensation is the same as during the day when my slip-in pad is a Cruiser Size 4.

For me to get into my AB mood I must be wearing a gauze diaper without a disposable soaker. Missy is the only one of my sisters who relaxes as an AB and she only can get in the mood in gauze diapers.

Missy and I have a really good friend Peggy who was born in 1973. Her mother was the 2nd trophy wife of a powerful movie producer, so that woman would never wash a cloth diaper. She did not care about the cost of Pampers and later Huggies. In 1994 Penny read about AB and got into that big time. She does like to be pinned into gauze diapers, but Penny has no trouble playing big baby in disposables, especially ABU although medium are slightly large for her. I noticed that when Peggy wears ABU to play, she covers those with a thin gauze diaper and vinyl panties for bed.

I am willing to believe that a large percentage of AB prefer the style diaper they grew up wearing. Many DL tell me to them it makes much less difference.

I agree with Angela. I grew up with cloth diapers and plastic pants and I wear them now exclusively because they re-create those early days. I can remember all those cloth diapers hanging out to dry on clotheslines throughout my little community. I was always attracted to diapers and just seeing them made me want them.

I'm the opposite, I like the kind of diapers i'm pretty sure I never was in as a baby. I was in cloth prefolds then, as far as I know. While I think cloth is about on par with disposables as far as comfort goes, it's a heck of a lot more work to take care of (especially in secrecy...).

angelabauer

Quote Originally Posted by Maytricks View Post
    I'm the opposite, I like the kind of diapers i'm pretty sure I never was in as a baby. I was in cloth prefolds then, as far as I know. While I think cloth is about on par with disposables as far as comfort goes, it's a heck of a lot more work to take care of (especially in secrecy...).
    You have a valid point. I prefer the comfort of gauze diapers when I sleep, but I an not so obsessive and compulsive that I lug around a trunk full of gauze diapers and plastic panties when I travel. I have never paid a hotel laundry to wash cloth diapers.

Since my experience with cloth diapering is hardy a secret within ADISC I get a lot of PM questions from members wanting to know if they should try cloth. My first question back at them is, "How will you discreetly wash, dry and store your cloth diapers?" While the cost per change of the top quality decorated disposables is high, buying and maintaining cloth diapers is far from free. Besides the cost of the cloth diapers, there are the waterproof pants, which just of purchase cost divided by wearings, almost always is more than the diaper. For example, I now pay Kins USA$10 plus shipping per vinyl pant which under ideal conditions lasts 50 wearings before becoming so stiff it is uncomfortable or has started to crack. That is USA$0.20 per wearing. I pay ACD USA$19.50 for a gauze diaper that lasts 150 washings so long as I do not leave them wet more than 48 hours. That is USA$0.13 each. A typical coin washer costs USA$1.50 per load plus drying which costs USA$1.25 per load. A load could consist of 10 adult diaper sets for the same price. My Neptune washer takes 32 minutes to run a load and my Neptune dryer takes 45 minutes. Plus of course hot water, gas, electricity and DREFT. It takes as long and costs as much to wash 2 diapers as 10, but if you only wash every ten days your cloth diapers will be ruined quickly.

Even at USA$2.00 each a quality disposable is hardly extravagant compared to cloth, especially if your time has a money figure.

From an economic standpoint I know my gauze diapers are a luxury, so to compensate I do not drink or smoke. That savings covers the cost of my diapers.

Many thanks to all that have responded, and especially Angela, to the question.
    The thoughts, impressions and feelings I have in and out of the diaper I prefer, or others I have dabble with, have always fascinated me.
    It is a comfort to know I am not alone in feeling a connection to the past, at least with most. Maytricks notwithstanding.
    I was wearing on the sneak, kids were a lot younger and I could wear when spouse was not home, have them washed and dried before she got home, and cloth was perfect. Nothing in the trash, etc. My wearing has now halted...though I will be back in them...it is just a matter of time. What it is about being wrapped snugly in cotton and having it encased in plastic pants I do not know...but I like it and am willing to wait until all my kids move out to start up again.
    White cloth squares are never far from my mind.
    Thanks again for all your thoughts.