Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Space travel going too far?

Default Space travel going too far?

The numerous ideas of space travel that the likes of Virgin Galactic and Bigelow are enforcing through the media I find quite scary when I think about it. Especially when we get to the extent that they have already planned, designed and prototyped the currency in space: Quasi Universal Intergalactic Denomination - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Consider this in the context that Bigelow have done the same thing in designing an "inflatable" space hotel, and Virgin Galactic's "The Spaceship Company" - well... the name sort of says it all, but Branson has a team that have come up with a 2 designs for a spaceplane, suitable for taking tourists to the moon and back.

To me, it all seems like one of those silly ideas you come up with as a kid - "it's gonna do this, and have one of those, and you can do that".

But really, what the heck is wrong with Earth? I bloody like it here, why would I wanna go up there? Other than for sheer banter, a bloody good sun tan, and re-living the best bits of Futurama! Other than that, let's face it. The only good thing about being up there compared to being down here is you're never gonna have a crap phone reception.

I'm not saying I don't like the idea, but it seems to be happening really fast. I guess that's just technology though. But am I the only one who thinks that in 50 years time, my grand children (making the assumption that I will have grand children) will come out with something along the lines of "I'm bored... might grab the next shuttle to the moon" O_0

The quid? They can't call space currency that! That's our currency!

Well I'll just quote Karl Pilkington on the space thing, this is after he was asked if he'd ever consider going on that Virgin Galactic thing:
    "Go to space? I haven't even been to Scotland yet! Check out your own back yard before you go peeking in someone elses."

I say it's good that we are expanding...I doubt we will find anywhere to live that wouldn't take years to travel to anytime soon...I don't even know if we will live on Mars someday...But if they can manage to make spacehotels and such, then I'm all for it...Whether I would go to one...That's another story

Welcome to the transition of a class 0 to a class 1 society.

This is what happens, we start to be less and less dependant on the Earth and move upwards, then we move to a class 2 society which we become depended on the solar system(sun, asteroids, etc) for our resources, then we move to class 3 which we then begin to rely on the galaxy(star wars, anyone?) and teraforming other planets with robots to kick-off class 0 societies into class 1(see; 2001: A space odyssey).

In essence, what you're experiencing is all part of the cycle, only thing is that we have a HIGH chance of not surviving the transition to class 1, due to the opposition of NAFTA and such, and the threat of nuclear war.

they do this only for one thing: money.

you know, going in the space is a dream for many people, is something suggestive.
    I would like to travel in the space too.

But before space tourism, scientist must study a lot of things to reduce risks on human body; for example going in the space, often reduce your height.

I approve it if is something linked to a scientific experiment, like living in the space for 1 years.

And do you know what will happens when (and if) people will colonize, for example, the moon? Wars and wars for territory.

Do we really need other wars?

Quote Originally Posted by Target_0 View Post
    they do this only for one thing: money.

you know, going in the space is a dream for many people, is something suggestive.
    I would like to travel in the space too.

But before space tourism, scientist must study a lot of things to reduce risks on human body; for example going in the space, often reduce your height.

I approve it if is something linked to a scientific experiment, like living in the space for 1 years.

And do you know what will happens when (and if) people will colonize, for example, the moon? Wars and wars for territory.

Do we really need other wars?
    Referring to my other post, if we make it to the moon and colonize local planets, land war in theory will virtually be gone, thus why it's hard to go from a stage 0 to stage 1.

It's one of my dreams to travel the stars. Key word being dream. Never gonna happen. Even if it were possible, then the journey would probably be too scary for me.

I think the people who present these ideas as near fact or simply posturing and grandstanding. We are a long ways from having the technology to take us there, plus we are living in a political atmosphere that makes it impossible, because of the global cooperation that would be needed.

That being said, it's hard to believe that a mere 6000 years ago man was battling giant cave bears, woolly mammoths, and giant sloths. Give us another 6000 years and who knows where we will be. The reason given for colonizing space is because in 6000 years or less, we will have completely depleted our resources, and poisoned the planet. We have a long way to go, both in future technology, but also in what we are doing on a day to day basis, being good stewards of the planet.

EmeraldsAndLime

I don't think there'll even be a point where we go too far in space travel. Our technology may level out, but I'll be all for extending it as far as possible.

The thing is guys, it might be all well and good to say that space travel would be really good (and i'm not saying that it isn't, i like the idea too) and it might be possible to travel in space to other planets but the reality of it is that it isn't possible AT ALL (not even in the future).

The only way that u could travel to other planets is if u travelled at the speed of light (the fastest that anything can travel). This in itself presents the first problem as when u travel at the speed of light, it might take 1 hour for u to reach ure destination, but for the rest of the universe, that will be equivilent to a couple of thousands of years. And this is the element that the star wars movies leave out (and yes, i know, it is just a movie).

Whenever a person travels into space, (including the astronauts) they are actually travelling through time. whenever they go into space, they come back pretty much similar to how they originally were when they left, but everyone else ages. One of these factors is due to gravity. It causes us to age. The other eason is that because they are in space, their bodies don't oxidise as easily (this is why ure body gets worse as u get older, ure body oxidises a lot quicker).

As the distances between planets is soo great, the only way that u would be able to get there is if u somehow managed to travel faster than the speed of light and that would cause ure body's molecules to just rip themselves apart.

So really, as much as the idea would be really cool (and i really love the thought of space travel) it isn't possible. not now, not in the future, not ever.

If u guys are wonder how i know so much about this, it is cause i have done a lot of research into this. I am absolutely fanasinated with space. Also, some of this is contained in Einstiens theory of relativity (at a very basic level as it is extremely difficult to understand it, and i don't really full understand the simplistic version of it)

But i must admit, the sound of travelling to another planet, sounds really good to me. But like it has been said in here before:

it's hard to believe that a mere 6000 years ago man was battling giant cave bears, woolly mammoths, and giant sloths. Give us another 6000 years and who knows where we will be.
    Just my full $0.02 worth

DB1234