Thread: Any Virgin Media UK ADISCers???

PaddedPuppy

Default Any Virgin Media UK ADISCers???

Hi, Just wondering, Is there anyone else who has Virgin broadband who has problems accessing the adisc website? It has always loaded slowly for me using my VM connection, but now it won't load the site at all and i get redirected to a Virgin search page. The site is still working, Because i can access it like i am using a different connection, and i know that it must have something to do with Virgin because i get sent to one of their webpages after sitting for about 10 seconds on a blank screen... UPDATE - Just restarted the modem and now when i try to load the site it will just keep going and i get no Virgin page, Just a white screen and the browser says its trying to connect. All other sites working as usual...

---------- Post added at 10:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 PM ----------

I'll look back in the morning. If i have no answer and still can't get on, I'll take the silence as a yes, VM have blocked the access to adisc. I'm starting to get sick of them messing up my services all the time. The Virgin tools site brings an error back when i type in this web address too...
    Last edited by PaddedPuppy; 05-Mar-2011 at 22:32. Reason: Added an update

crazykittensmile

I'm in the UK but with BT, and for the last 2-3 hours I haven't been able to get onto adisc either - 10-15 seconds of loading time, then the BT page telling me the website cannot be found.

I just managed to get back on about 5 minutes ago. I don't know anything about the internets and it could of course just be a coincidence, but perhaps it is a problem outside of virgin.

I had a few problems a while back (although I'm not with Virgin or BT). Using a third-party DNS resolution service fixed the issue for me. You could try using OpenDNS's servers - just change your 1ry and 2ry DNS addresses on your router to 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220.

Hope that helps... (not sure if it will!)

hey, im a virgin media customer and actually work for them too. I have never had any problems and tbh i havent heard anything at work about blocking sites or anything like that. Its not down to the network to do that sorta thing.

DrynitesTARDIS

Quote Originally Posted by babyjess View Post
    I'm in the UK but with BT, and for the last 2-3 hours I haven't been able to get onto adisc either - 10-15 seconds of loading time, then the BT page telling me the website cannot be found.

I just managed to get back on about 5 minutes ago. I don't know anything about the internets and it could of course just be a coincidence, but perhaps it is a problem outside of virgin.
    mine was Karoo broadband, and mine wasnt working earlier either.

PaddedPuppy

Yeah its alive now.

Just used a VPN to get on while it was dead.

So now it looks like not just Virgin, but the whole of the UK were cut off for a bit...

It may not be 100% related to your ISP, I have found That certain Metropolitan Networks (Massive private backbone interenet providers) that connect countries up can be known to be unreliable. Sadly this is out of Virgin's BT's or whatever you have reach of fixing it. It's not their problem, It's the other end of the computer line as it were.

A week or so ago, ADISC was knocked out to half the UK for the whole day. Not censoring of the internet, probably one of the many thousand/millions of routers that make the internet work was broken. Sadly it's not 100% obvious if only 2-3% of the world can't access one website.

That said, I'd turn of Virgin's search of invalid domains. It goes against how the internet should work and can confuse people and your computer. That said, change to openDNS or google's DNS. Just google into how to does this (if you can access google that is ).

TL;DR Some one broke the internet, not your ISPs fault, they can't fix it.