Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Brother issues, again

  1. #1

    Default Brother issues, again

    OK, my little brother now wants to get Xbox Live. He has the code, but we have a system set up so that the two computers in the house get internet. The downstairs computer (the one that I can't use for obvious reasons) Has a router on it. The router sets a LAN line up between that computer, and a wireless adapter (originally meant for the 360) hooked to my computer on the second floor.

    The main problem is that he wants the router for the 360, and leave my only available computer without internet, defeating the whole purpose for me getting him distracted so that I can post here and whatnot. What should I do? I proposed that we pitch in to get a new adapter, but he told me that I want the adapter, so I should pay for the whole thing. Between diapers and other expenses, I can't afford it on my own. What do I do?

  2. #2

    Default

    I would explain to him that it's not fair for him to want to take away your internet access, and you're both going to be using it, so you should both pay for it...

    I had to look back at your other post, but how little is he? He should be using the computer in the high traffic area simply because he's younger and shouldn't be left alone to surf the internet wildly by himself. You're 17. You are almost an adult legally and should be able to expect some sense of privacy. (Unless your parents have reason to say otherwise including mental or psychological issues, being of a different religion than you, or old fashioned/weird in some way.) Though, internet is a privilege.

    I'd just take showers and do whatever you need to before getting on the computer as to have uninterrupted time, then hog it and tell your brother he can use the computer downstairs. Then if he complains about not being able to use the xbox 360, point out that he can play it alone just fine- and he can surf the internet downstairs, and to ask his parents for an adaptor if he wants to use xbox live... or shell out the money for half. Then if he's on the computer that has privacy, bring it to the attention of your parents, and logically present that you should be able to have the privacy to do homework, talk to friends without having it be everyone's business, and that you and your friends would be more comfortable having that privacy. Your friends may have private things to tell you- silly stuff like who likes who, but that you want this to be private because you're almost an adult...

    ... Though, you may end up needing to go without diapers and shelling out for the adaptor, and I sincerely doubt anything else I mentioned would work. Get it as an early B-day present for the kid. Bet he'll REALLY hate that. No kid wants a power adaptor-and he obviously doesn't want to spend his money on it. I go without diapers the vast majority of time to enjoy the perks of the internet and other things. In my opinion, roleplaying and having connections with others is likely more fulfilling than diapers anyway. But then, it might be more healthy to go outside. You might not be able to get everything you want, but it shouldn't be that awful. Diapers are more special used rarely anyway.

    Either way, good luck with your little brother. I have always had issues and fights with mine. Except I still argue with mine about not drumming while I'm studying over school breaks. =/ If I ever have a kid (which is doubtful) I'd have one single kid. It provides so many more benefits for that one kid, letting them have full resources and cutting down on the overpopulation problem. (Yes, I resent my little brother also, but I have very very very good reason- worse than arguing over a computer. Not awful, but still...)

  3. #3

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Starbright View Post
    I would explain to him that it's not fair for him to want to take away your internet access, and you're both going to be using it, so you should both pay for it...

    I had to look back at your other post, but how little is he? He should be using the computer in the high traffic area simply because he's younger and shouldn't be left alone to surf the internet wildly by himself. You're 17. You are almost an adult legally and should be able to expect some sense of privacy. (Unless your parents have reason to say otherwise including mental or psychological issues, being of a different religion than you, or old fashioned/weird in some way.) Though, internet is a privilege.

    I'd just take showers and do whatever you need to before getting on the computer as to have uninterrupted time, then hog it and tell your brother he can use the computer downstairs. Then if he complains about not being able to use the xbox 360, point out that he can play it alone just fine- and he can surf the internet downstairs, and to ask his parents for an adaptor if he wants to use xbox live... or shell out the money for half. Then if he's on the computer that has privacy, bring it to the attention of your parents, and logically present that you should be able to have the privacy to do homework, talk to friends without having it be everyone's business, and that you and your friends would be more comfortable having that privacy. Your friends may have private things to tell you- silly stuff like who likes who, but that you want this to be private because you're almost an adult...

    ... Though, you may end up needing to go without diapers and shelling out for the adaptor, and I sincerely doubt anything else I mentioned would work. Get it as an early B-day present for the kid. Bet he'll REALLY hate that. No kid wants a power adaptor-and he obviously doesn't want to spend his money on it. I go without diapers the vast majority of time to enjoy the perks of the internet and other things. In my opinion, roleplaying and having connections with others is likely more fulfilling than diapers anyway. But then, it might be more healthy to go outside. You might not be able to get everything you want, but it shouldn't be that awful. Diapers are more special used rarely anyway.

    Either way, good luck with your little brother. I have always had issues and fights with mine. Except I still argue with mine about not drumming while I'm studying over school breaks. =/ If I ever have a kid (which is doubtful) I'd have one single kid. It provides so many more benefits for that one kid, letting them have full resources and cutting down on the overpopulation problem. (Yes, I resent my little brother also, but I have very very very good reason- worse than arguing over a computer. Not awful, but still...)
    Thanks for the input. To answer your question, he's 11, going to be 12 in June. Anyhow, the other post has been resolved. He has agreed to use the downstairs computer.

    The privacy, on the other hand, is a whole other matter entirely... My parents insist on knowing everything about me; what I order online, where I go on the weekends, even what I may be looking at could be considered "their business" in their eyes. If I bring up privacy, they'll ask what I may be doing that I would like to keep from my 3 other siblings plus them. I can't bring the issue up about the "who's dating who," because they know I wouldn't give a Rat's arse about anything remotely close to what normal teenagers talk about. I guess I kinda ruined it for myself there... In retrospect, I wish that I was interested in normal stuff, but, I also wish I wasn't a DL, and that's not going to change any time soon.

    EDIT: As for the diaper situation, I haven't had diapers since the beginning of August; and I've kinda got the money allotted for that purpose. I might be able to shave enough for half the cost... might.
    Last edited by Dann; 05-Mar-2011 at 02:22.

  4. #4

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Dann View Post
    Thanks for the input. To answer your question, he's 11, going to be 12 in June. Anyhow, the other post has been resolved. He has agreed to use the downstairs computer.

    The privacy, on the other hand, is a whole other matter entirely... My parents insist on knowing everything about me; what I order online, where I go on the weekends, even what I may be looking at could be considered "their business" in their eyes. If I bring up privacy, they'll ask what I may be doing that I would like to keep from my 3 other siblings plus them. I can't bring the issue up about the "who's dating who," because they know I wouldn't give a Rat's arse about anything remotely close to what normal teenagers talk about. I guess I kinda ruined it for myself there...

    EDIT: As for the diaper situation, I haven't had diapers since the beginning of August; and I've kinda got the money allotted for that purpose. I might be able to shave enough for half the cost... might.
    I'm sorry. Well, it's good that he's using the downstairs computer. He's 11 so you can't really expect him to pay for an adaptor, so you're a bit out of luck there. You'll have to buy it, or ask your parents for one.

    I'm really sorry that your parents don't give you privacy. My parents are on my bank account so I don't really have privacy either. Ordering and where you go on weekends is standard- but it feels awful, because we *do* have something to hide. They're suspicious for a reason, and sadly wouldn't be able to understand. I wouldn't advocate lying to your parents about where you go on weekends for safety issues, (though I do that still...) but maybe tell them you're talking to a girlfriend online. At your age, it's innocent enough. One from your school obviously. Or just find some other innocent explanation. There aren't a lot for privacy on the internet though, sadly enough.

    Hopefully someone else can help more. I'm still sort of dealing with those types of issues.

  5. #5

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Starbright View Post
    I'm sorry. Well, it's good that he's using the downstairs computer. He's 11 so you can't really expect him to pay for an adaptor, so you're a bit out of luck there. You'll have to buy it, or ask your parents for one.

    I'm really sorry that your parents don't give you privacy. My parents are on my bank account so I don't really have privacy either. Ordering and where you go on weekends is standard- but it feels awful, because we *do* have something to hide. They're suspicious for a reason, and sadly wouldn't be able to understand. I wouldn't advocate lying to your parents about where you go on weekends for safety issues, (though I do that still...) but maybe tell them you're talking to a girlfriend online. At your age, it's innocent enough. One from your school obviously. Or just find some other innocent explanation. There aren't a lot for privacy on the internet though, sadly enough.

    Hopefully someone else can help more. I'm still sort of dealing with those types of issues.
    I appreciate that you're able to relate with me. I could easily order something, but, when it arrives, they will open the box. That's why, when I get my license back, I intend on telling them to hold the package at a UPS Distribution Center, and pick it up to avoid parental interference. I guess I could try to at least find someone to get with for a little while for the sake of privacy; you can bet that they'd ask who my girlfriend is, and it would be likely that they know whoever's parents. I live in a very small, rural area.

  6. #6

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Dann View Post
    I appreciate that you're able to relate with me. I could easily order something, but, when it arrives, they will open the box. That's why, when I get my license back, I intend on telling them to hold the package at a UPS Distribution Center, and pick it up to avoid parental interference. I guess I could try to at least find someone to get with for a little while for the sake of privacy; you can bet that they'd ask who my girlfriend is, and it would be likely that they know whoever's parents. I live in a very small, rural area.
    Yeah, I don't think there's anything you can really do about that at this moment, and I'm sorry. I can understand, and it feels terrible to not have that sort of control over your life when you desperately need it. It's unfortunate. Although, I dunno if you'd have to answer all their questions, but they might snoop more. I never talk about my private life and they're nosy. I've walked to Krogers for supplies before. It's strange what my parents are accepting of and what they're not. And I have no sense of individuality with my parents. Likely yours have no idea who you are as a person, which is tough. Same with mine. You may just need to do without a lot that you want/need. I really do hope someone has a better solution.

  7. #7
    crazykittensmile

    Default

    I agree with Starchild - you cannot expect your 11-year-old brother to pitch in for the adapter, particularly not if the router you are using on your computer was originally meant for the Xbox. You would possibly have more luck asking your parents to buy another adapter. Explain the situation, and say that you don't think that one computer with internet access will be enough for a family of six. Perhaps exaggerate how much you rely on the internet for school work or other things they will see as worthwhile. Then propose that they buy an adapter, or say that you would like to buy an adapter, which you think will benefit the whole family, but cannot afford to pay for the whole thing. Ask if they would be able to pay for the half you can't afford, as it will be a purchase that will benefit everybody, particularly as your younger siblings become older and want more usage of the internet.

    Either way, your parents are likely to be more rational and more fair than your younger brother, so I would try and come to an agreement with them rather than your brother, who being quite young is less likely to be able to see past what he wants in order to reach a compromise.

  8. #8

    Default

    My response is the same as from your other thread: KILL THE F***ER! He's obviously 11 years old, a total asshat, and an asshat who won't leave you be. 11 year olds really should NOT be on XBL; when they get owned several times because they spawn in a crappy spot, the F bombs really start dropping! Seriously...Explain to your parents that if he gets xlb, he will learn how to scream the word fuck more than 20 times in less than 5 seconds.

  9. #9

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by babyjess View Post
    I agree with Starchild - you cannot expect your 11-year-old brother to pitch in for the adapter, particularly not if the router you are using on your computer was originally meant for the Xbox. You would possibly have more luck asking your parents to buy another adapter. Explain the situation, and say that you don't think that one computer with internet access will be enough for a family of six. Perhaps exaggerate how much you rely on the internet for school work or other things they will see as worthwhile. Then propose that they buy an adapter, or say that you would like to buy an adapter, which you think will benefit the whole family, but cannot afford to pay for the whole thing. Ask if they would be able to pay for the half you can't afford, as it will be a purchase that will benefit everybody, particularly as your younger siblings become older and want more usage of the internet.

    Either way, your parents are likely to be more rational and more fair than your younger brother, so I would try and come to an agreement with them rather than your brother, who being quite young is less likely to be able to see past what he wants in order to reach a compromise.
    Many people are saying that I can't expect him to pitch in, but I can. You know why? He scrounges up 20$ a week to spend on whatever anime he decides to obsess over. He typically spends it all on Naruto Cards. How he does it, I'll never know.



    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzy View Post
    My response is the same as from your other thread: KILL THE F***ER! He's obviously 11 years old, a total asshat, and an asshat who won't leave you be. 11 year olds really should NOT be on XBL; when they get owned several times because they spawn in a crappy spot, the F bombs really start dropping! Seriously...Explain to your parents that if he gets xlb, he will learn how to scream the word fuck more than 20 times in less than 5 seconds.
    I hadn't looked at it that way... Even though he doesn't play FPS, he still would get owned all over the place. He even gets furious playing the game through on it's normal settings.

Similar Threads

  1. Little brother.... what to do?
    By Dann in forum Off-topic
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 08-Feb-2011, 20:22
  2. How many Brother/Sisters do you have??
    By Siege89 in forum Off-topic
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 03-Jun-2009, 03:56

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.