Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: why do you give a stuffed animal a name?

Default why do you give a stuffed animal a name?

Something I have wondered a bit over. Why give you favorite stuffed animals a name?

Could it be that it will become more personal? Or it could be something psychological behind it?

I usually call my stuffed animals: cute nose. Its more like a nickname.

Because I like talking to them and it seems more personal if I call them by name.

I think a name adds personality to a stuffed animal. It also makes it unique; there are many identical stuffed animals out there, however, only one will have a particular name. That's how I see it.

I got myself a teddy bear today, and I have yet to give him a name. I'm still trying to figure out what kind of personality I want him to have.

You give names to things that, at some level, you regard as people - and it's human nature to anthropomorphise inanimate objects if we form an emotional attachment to them. I mean, why do we, and every maritime culture in world history, name ships? And if you go to your stuffed animals for comfort, you are bound to form an intimate emotional connection with them - especially if you've had them since early childhood. My stuffed dragon has been with me through thick and thin for nearly thirty years. He is by far my most precious possession - the only one I regard as absolutely irreplacable (he's actually bequested to my mother in my will - the only specific bequest that I've made).

For most people (certainly here), at some point, their stuffed animals were their best friends. I would feel pretty callous if I didn't care about my best friend enough to give him a name. Although, in Figment's case, he came with a name, and I was too young to even think about changing it.
    Last edited by Akastus; 05-Mar-2011 at 07:31.

Quote Originally Posted by Akastus View Post
    You give names to things that, at some level, you regard as people - and it's human nature to anthropomorphise inanimate objects if we form an emotional attachment to them. And if you go to your stuffed animals for comfort, you are bound to form an intimate emotional connection with them - especially if you've had them since early childhood. My dragon is by far my most precious possession - the only one I regard as absolutely irreplacable (he's actually bequested to my mother in my will - the only specific bequest that I've made).

For most people (certainly here), at some point, their stuffed animals are their best friends. I would feel pretty callous if I didn't care about my best friend enough to give him a name.
    Yes you have a very good point.

I name most of my plushies. Which says a lot about me I think.

Usually they're named after some kind of feature, like 'Gumdrop', who happens to be a fat, round pink furred rabbit with a pink fuzzy nose or 'Long Neck', who is a giraffe. Although if you've ever watched The Land Before Time you were probably expecting a dinosaur. I have one of those, too. Littlefoot and Sara.

I name them because it just makes things feel 'cozier'. Rather than "That's stuffed opossum number one." it's "That's Curly over there." Before someone asks...yes, he's named after the Stooge of the same name. Nyuknyuknyuk! Of course sometimes I have trouble coming up with names and I have to wait a while for a good one. I always make sure I name my Build-A-Bear critters and get their 'birth certificates'. I have them all in my room and it's like having companions, so I suppose I do see them as rather anthropomorphic.

Naming them isn't so much a conscious thing with me...it's just something I do. Actually this is the first time I've really thought about 'why'.

I usually name mine although I have a number that aren't named. Or sometimes the name is very generic like "Bear.". Quite a few times I've named real animals after their description. Like Big Kitty and Little Kitty and Mangy Kitty which were regulars to my doorstep in the neighborhood I used to live in.

Well weather it be a nickname or a name in general, it shows a connection to you, I have names for lots of things, my teddy bear is mr.bear (generic I know) my car Audrey (named after my grandma) it just shows that there is a connection on more then just a material basis.to make the things you have mean something special to you even if there is a million duplicates out there!

Okay, I finally found a name for my teddy bear.

His name is Bloobeary