Thread: how to start a brazier fire?

Default how to start a brazier fire?

Hi,

As a follow up to having to "burn nappies" I'm going to get a garden incinerator tomorrow: a metal bin with holes and a tiny chimney on top. I can't post a hyperlink for a picture because it seems to go mental with a paragraph of babble, but google "garden incinerator" for a pic of what I'm getting.

Does anyone here have experience of lighting one? Obviously it requires throwing a match in but how do I keep the fire lit and get it to burn hot. Also, how do I avoid bits of the fire (noncombustible granules for example) falling out around the place and make a mess?

Should I use coal as a fuel (excess heat won't warp the bin?) or newspaper and some twigs? Add some flammable liquid perchance? Petrol will explode and take my eyebrows off I hasten to add!

I've never used one in my life so I need to learn since I'm going to be using it weekly!

I used to use one on a ranch in Wyoming, your best bet is a small amount of kindling on the bottom, a small amount of petrol (and by small amount, no more than 100mL), and place your refuse on top. Then add fire and enjoy. You should stay away from coal, chances are good the fire would burn far too hot.
    If you're worried about bits and pieces falling out, use it on a surface that can be easily cleaned, like a stone patio or drive.
    As for keeping it lit, all a fire needs is good airflow and something to burn. As long as you don't let the ashes build up you should be in the clear.

Would like to say that I will obviously put a spark guard/arrestor in the chimney sticking out the top! The last thing I want is a problematic fire on my hands because somehow I don't think a CO2 extinguisher is going to put out a burning tree :P

---------- Post added at 06:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:17 PM ----------

Hi Zedd,

Burner will be sat on top of a concrete patio 2.5 metres from the house itself. I read you're supposed to poke the air holes with a stick periodically to shift the ash: they're almost "set and forget": the hotter it burns the more air it sucks in, and the hotter it burns and so on until equilibrium is reached...

"Hi Zedd,

Burner will be sat on top of a concrete patio 2.5 metres from the house itself. I read you're supposed to poke the air holes with a stick periodically to shift the ash: they're almost "set and forget": the hotter it burns the more air it sucks in, and the hotter it burns and so on until equilibrium is reached..."

Yeah, but if you use some kind of fuel that burns too hot, you could end up with a pile of warped and twisted metal where you once had a nice incinerator.

Yeah that is true - I sort of am hoping to avoid that happening! Well, what should I do if it does get a bit hot? Block the air holes on the side with a fire blanket perhaps? Something to arrest the airflow would be good. I'm sort of looking for a relatively hot fire, but not one that warps and melts the incinerator!

As I said I am a beginner to natural draught fires, so there probably is a bit to learn as I am a little too used to automated pressure-jet oil burners. Still I suppose it's never too late to learn something new

---------- Post added at 06:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:31 PM ----------

Incidentally, I was looking at spark arrestor prices: 70 not including P&P. Could I make my own with very fine chicken wire or suchlike? Or would that interrupt airflow through the flue too much, causing burn problems?

You'll be fine as long as you just let the fire burn on its own. Refuse will burn plenty hot, but not enough to destroy your incinerator. Just don't get any "bright ideas" like putting coal in, or drenching the whole mess with an accelerant.

That's good that it won't self-destruct if it uses natural draught only and no accelerants, apart from a tiny quantity of petrol to get it to light as you said in the first reply. I can't imagine anything that's liable to turn the air blue and send my blood pressure even higher than an incinerator that melted itself lol.