Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning question.

Default Cleaning question.

Over the last week, a foul scent has developed in the food disposal in my kitchen sink. It has been getting progressively worse over the last couple of days, and now the scent has reached my living room and attacks me when I walk in my front door.

I have tried several cleaning supplies down that sink, and nothing is killing that scent.

Anybody here have any bright and safe ideas I can try?

Try some baking soda and vinegar. It will bubble and fizz and get any gunk that's stuck in places other things can't quite reach. Once it's done rinse everything well and if it still smells try sprinkling some baking soda and leaving it awhile or even putting some lemon peel through it. Another thing people forget sometimes is to clean the under side of the opening where food can get splattered and left.

A few kettles of boiling water might help. Other than that, do you have any sterilising fluid, like Milton?

Can you remove the outlet pipe from the food disposal?

I do not know how to take apart a food disposal system, nor do I dare to try anything of that nature in my rented apartment.

I am trying the baking soda and vinegar route now, though.

AndrewThatsMyName

You know what, if you have a lemon tree, this would help. Get a lemon, and cut it in half. Then turn in the garbage disposal, and throw it down. THAT should do the trick.

Sterilizing it isn't going to do anything. If it stinks, it means there's something trapped in it that isn't getting washed down. Most Drano or similar products are safe to use in garbage disposals, check the label and try one of those. If that doesn't help, I would talk to your landlord about disassembling the thing for a thorough cleaning.

Yeah, I did just now discover there was something trapped in there. It's clogging like a motherfucker.

Maintenance will be here in a few minutes to help deal with that. I gotta love living in an apartment complex where the maintenance crew works on Sunday.

Thanks for the advice, all!

I was gonna suggest coffee grounds. I heard somewhere that they are good for cleaning a stinky garbage disposal.
    We also use coffee grounds in our fridge at work, and it keeps our fridge smelling nice.

Less than two hours after I call maintenance, I get a new garbage disposal installed under my kitchen sink, free of charge. I guess that they took one look at the inside of it, and declared it was no longer working. They just finished installing the new one, and they're testing it out now.

Quote Originally Posted by KaworuVsDrWily View Post
    Less than two hours after I call maintenance, I get a new garbage disposal installed under my kitchen sink, free of charge. I guess that they took one look at the inside of it, and declared it was no longer working. They just finished installing the new one, and they're testing it out now.
    Wow! That's service!