Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Friends" on ADISC

AndrewThatsMyName

Default "Friends" on ADISC

Question:

Is it bizarre to add someone as a friend if you don't know them in real life?
    What brings this up is a post on an unnamed person's page, this certain someone said

"I've noticed that you've randomly tried to friend people. Most people here view their friend list as actual friends. This site is not like Facebook where your "friends" may be people you randomly added." ~Name Withheld

So would it be bizarre to add someone you don't know in real life as a friend on ADISC, and if so... I must seem like a creep.

Well, not really. Just kinda knowing them woud sorta make them friends. Damnit, I can't explain myself.

Randomly adding people, sure, it's discouraged, but if you kindasorta know the person, then I guess that can be okay. think about RL friends, usually having something in common makes a friend. Anything perhaps, not always. But since we're ADISC, it has to be more than just sayin' "I like diapers too" or "I also live in imaginetown".

id be willing to bet that a majority of the people on this site dont know each other in real life. meaning that they havent had dinner together....texting or talking on the phone in my opinion dont count....with any site though you will have cliques that will form and you can see them by viewing friends list....its more common for those people to complain about random friends requests/adds....i personally take it as a compliment if a random person adds me....its like saying there is something about you i like....some people are more guarded i guess....

Caleb

Yeah, the friends I have on this site, I don't know any of them for real. But it's like how I end up with my Facebook friends list, it's people I see around (like at school and stuff) and I'll say yes to them (or add them), because it's the thing to do and/or I find what they say cool.

I'm really picky about my facebook friends, You can be just as picky here. I would keep my friends here to people I share common interests in (beyond the obvious) people that I may want to meet in person. There are people here I would not want to befriend, as there are sure to be people here that would not care to befriend me.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThatsMyName View Post
    Question:

Is it bizarre to add someone as a friend if you don't know them in real life?
    What brings this up is a post on an unnamed person's page, this certain someone said

"I've noticed that you've randomly tried to friend people. Most people here view their friend list as actual friends. This site is not like Facebook where your "friends" may be people you randomly added." ~Name Withheld

So would it be bizarre to add someone you don't know in real life as a friend on ADISC, and if so... I must seem like a creep.
    As the person who said that, I think you misunderstood what I meant. I admit that is my fault, as "actual friends" and "randomly tried to friend people" were a poor choice of words.

By "actual friends," I didn't mean people you know in real life. There's not a single person on my ADISC friend list that I know in real life. What I meant was that friend lists here are more likely to contain people that you've talked to, not friends that you've never talked to and never probably will.

The phrase "randomly friending people" was an accidental mix-up, as it is the FB term for adding someone to your friend list. A more accurate term would be "randomly adding people without ever talking to them before." My intent was to warn that member that sending friend requests out of the blue can result in negative reactions, especially if the person is new.

It's certainly not bizarre and definitely not creepy to add someone after you've talked to them a bit. Hopefully, that clears things up.
    Last edited by HogansHeroes; 27-Feb-2011 at 10:10. Reason: bad choice of wording...again. I'm just going to go to bed and hope this looks reasonable tomorrow. :/

Peachy

I never quite understood the idea of a "friends list" - it seems like nothing but an e-penis phenomenon to me. You don'T make friends by clicking the "friend request" button, or accepting a friend request. It's something that works beyond the realms of bits and bytes, and something even Facebook cannot replace.

As such, I don't put any value on my "friends list". There's a bunch of people on there, all of whom I've had some contact with previously. However, I preferred the friends list of the old aby.com website: It lets you distinguish between "internet friend", "friends" and "partner". So "friends" on there were exclusively people I have met IRL before, while "internet friends" are just that...people I've met on teh intertubes.

Peachy

crazykittensmile

I have about 40 friends on adisc, but I have only met one of them in real life (and we met after we were friends on adisc anyway). I figure most people are the same. As a general rule I only add people as friends on here if I have had some form of conversation with them. Some of my adisc friends I have spoken to more than others, but I have at least discussed something with them on the forums/groups or exchanged a couple of visitor messages, lines of chat or PMs. If somebody adds me and I have no idea who they are I usually reject their friend request.

As for the comment about facebook, for me it is the complete other way around. I only add people to my facebook profile if I know them in real life and have a good friendship with them - just because I've met someone in real life doesn't mean they get to qualify as a facebook friends. I have personal info on my facebook page that I would not want strangers to see. On adisc my real-life identity is private and so I am nowhere near as fussy about who I add. Usually if we've exchanged a brief hello I will accept a request. Personally I don't really send them out very often though, I only send out a friend request if I have spoken to people extensively (or if they have their profile hidden to non-contacts and I am feeling nosy!).

Many people nowadays just add anyone randomly even if they don't know them, the only friend I have on there is Calico, but then again I know her from other forums aswell.

All the friends on my list are people I've either met in RL or wouldn't mind meeting in RL. If any single person on my friends list said they were coming to my hometown I'd jump at the chance to meet them.

If anyone else adds, ESPECIALLY new people who I've never spoken to before, then I just decline it.