Page 1 of 24 123451121 ... LastLast

Thread: Evolution vs Creationism

Cool Evolution vs Creationism

I recently had a conversation with my bio-mom, and to my surprise she does not believe in Evolution whatsoever. Which made us fight, and just pissed me the hell off.

It's fine if you want to believe in a God, but why completely not look at the evidence that does surrounds us? She tells me to look at the sky, and tell her there is no God. Well, how does she know that this "God" created it? Perhaps it was the Flying Spaghetti Monster?

I'm just pissed, so sorry if this is a bit too strong.

I believe everything can be explained, but she just completely ignores all the facts. Even those that are right there in front of her. I'm frustrated with trying to talk to her about it, so I'm not. Nothing I will say can change it, so what can I do? She's drowning in her own ignorance, honestly.

But, anyway. Sorry. I just wanted to ask, what are your views on this topic? (I won't bite, I swear.)

Butterfly Mage

I certainly don't believe in the Bible's story of creation -- not one whit. It takes only a cursory knowledge of astronomy, biology, or geology to understand that the Earth is *much* older than 6,000 years old. Likewise, there is no evidence of an "extinction-level event" that corresponds to the Great Flood.

That isn't to say that I'm an atheist. I'm not. I will say that science has conclusively ruled out the Bible as a viable explanation of how the universe came to exist.

My view is that there is some kind of universal creative intelligence. Probably most religions have an inkling as to the nature of deity but no religion (including my own) has anything more than a tiny glimpse as to the how this being functions. I would think that the creative intelligence has an interest in the universe containing life. Whether that life involves human beings is a rather nice coincidence.

I believe in evolution. I think that deity may occasionally put in a guiding hand. But I believe that deity doesn't micromanage our lives.

What I want to know is why haven't we spent the requisite time and effort looking into the scientific underpinnings of the Norse creation stories? Once you go off the rails of simply following the evidence, why not pick a story that appeals and try to make the facts fit them?

Butterfly Mage

You won't find to many modern-day pagans that believe that the Norse mythos is anything other than a myth. It's a pretty cool myth, mind you, but it's not science. It's not claimed to be science.

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly Mage View Post
    You won't find to many modern-day pagans that believe that the Norse mythos is anything other than a myth. It's a pretty cool myth, mind you, but it's not science. It's not claimed to be science.
    That's my point about creation stories in general.

im a christian ablbeit a very liberal one and i personally support both....thats just me though as most either support one or the other. i dont think its wise for christians to discount sciences and the theory of evolution just because they dont explain everything but i also cringe when people with no faith discount creationism because it doesnt explain things with scientific proof....then again faith is essentially beliieving in something with out proof.....

I am an atheist, but evolution is not what converted me from theism. Actually, I don't see why evolution disproves God at all. What if it was part of God's master plan?

Quote Originally Posted by Wambles View Post
    In my opinion, this is a topic you should avoid at all costs unless your on your deathbed.
    Why? Debate forces us to consider other views and question our own. Why should I be afraid of upsetting someone by comparing our opinions? If somebody comes up to me telling me that reflexology cures everything from cancer to enlarged prostates, and I can present evidence that it doesn't, why shouldn't I try to convince them of their folly? If I can do the same with biblical creationism, why shouldn't I? What makes religious belief so special that it's got this special protected status? We can debate politics, science, sports teams; religion should be no different. If I want to draw the prophet with a turban made of dynamite to make a point, why not? Nobody would make much fuss if I did the same with Zeus.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    That's my point about creation stories in general.
    I agree - creation stories are usually pretty awesome, but I don't believe a word of them other that On the Origin of Species.