Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Psychology of DL's and T/AB's

Default Psychology of DL's and T/AB's

I am currently a college student at a state college, as of this year i've taken, and am taking, two different psychology classes, one general, and another of religion, but those aren't horribly important. As of the last few weeks I've been kind of curious about a few things: what is the psychology behind the pleasure we DL's, A/TB's get from our diapers and other baby gear? Is there any true research done on such a topic? i'm curious about all of this and more that relates back do AB, TB, and DL psychology.

And Now here's what i'm asking for help with: does anyone know any solid information, or where one could easily find information. Also feel free to talk about theories on it if you want to.

Not to discourage your quest, but I think the first thing one would need to accept in this pursuit is that even among a "pure" AB or DL, you won't find consistent causes or ways in which the appeal expresses itself. On the AB side, some common responses are that the AB experiences a sense of comfort or removal of stress or care, so for someone who gets that out of it, it's simple enough to see why this would be appealing. The larger question would be how or why does a person find this among all the possible "normal" things one might use to achieve this same effect? DLs more often (and again, this puts to the side the minority responses that don't fit) describe diapers as something that feels good or feels right. It might have to do with wearing them or using them.

I think the primary complication is something I've said here before. What we describe as ABDL or any individual slice within it is just a general description of a group of behaviors and desires that seem externally similar but may come from very different places. If we had enough research, we might draw some conclusions but even there, I'm not entirely sure, since it would be based on reports from many of us where what we think of as the triggers happened when we were very young, and we may be the only ones who know these things. I know that my memories from when I'm very young can be unreliable and I expect others are the same. Things that I consider personally important to the origins of my ABDL-ness may just be things I have manufactured rather than real events. Even if they are true, I also expect that others could be exposed to exactly the same situations and not have the same reaction. It is interesting stuff, but I think we also have to understand the limitations in our search for self-knowledge in this area.

Trevor: may we please add this question/bent/topic to the articles/wiki/Post-It/stickies/whatever that we will have?

This comes up frequently, and it typically ends up that OP is rebuffed and deflated that they're not going to find THE GRAND UNIFYING FORCE at work here.

Quote Originally Posted by h3g3l View Post
    Trevor: may we please add this question/bent/topic to the articles/wiki/Post-It/stickies/whatever that we will have?

This comes up frequently, and it typically ends up that OP is rebuffed and deflated that they're not going to find THE GRAND UNIFYING FORCE at work here.
    If it's to be an article, which is the preferred mode for dealing with recurring questions, someone has to write it. For good or ill (and I think I can take a wild stab in the dark as to where you'd come down on this one) institutionally, we do not wish to have a big list of stickies that tend to get glossed over or to hit new members with the line that essentially everything has been argued over and there's nothing more to discuss. I suppose my response might be construed to mean that but I think responses are interesting, even if I don't think they have any scientific validity whatsoever as provided by members of this forum.

AndrewThatsMyName

According to Wikipedia, or some other wiki I was reading, as of 2009, little to no research has been done on this fetish.

I think it should be said, that of our diapered friends and community, we have pretty much done all the research we need, as many say they can pin-point this back to when they were a child, saying something like "I thought it felt nice" or something about a young relative. This would interesting to find out if there is an only child/grandchild of the family that likes diapers, then would it have been referred to from a friend?

But we pretty much think this stuff out ourselves, and should more research opportunities come along, it would be nice to participate in it.
    Last edited by AndrewThatsMyName; 26-Feb-2011 at 21:58. Reason: Additional Details

What percentage of the total population do you guys think are AB/DLs? It can't be terribly large. I know I've never met an open one, but that's not surprising to me based on the subject matter. I didn't even know they existed until the past year.

AmbezeSubHealth

KTH I think most of the field of psychology is a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by AmbezeSubHealth View Post
    Um, okay. Why do you think so? I don't know much about psychology.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    Not to discourage your quest, but I think the first thing one would need to accept in this pursuit is that even among a "pure" AB or DL, you won't find consistent causes or ways in which the appeal expresses itself.
    Actually....this is like everything else in psychology, a good example being that not all Schizophrenics have the same cause or even same expression of the disease, BUT they do share similarities in basic context (Can't think of a good enough word for there) of what they do, as do many DL's and A/Tb's so things don't have to always be 100% same, but there is likely something in the brain that causes it or makes one more likely to becoming one.

And psychology is the scientific study of mental process's and behavior, not just in humans, because they do do certain experiments on animals.

Quote Originally Posted by AmbezeSubHealth View Post
    I think that you probably don't have any idea what "most of the field of psychology" does.

This is the only way I can see anyone having this view.