Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Article: How long should a diaper last?

Darkfinn

Default Article: How long should a diaper last?

I found this while cruising the 'net earlier. It proved an insightful read... and it talks about my favorite diaper... the Secure X-plus.

I hope y'all enjoy.

How Long Should a Longer-Lasting Adult Diaper Last? | Gilbert Guide

EmeraldsAndLime

You know, sometimes I get the feeling you like diapers waaay too much.

But the article itself is quite interesting, especially reading it from the designer's perspective. He makes a few good points, particularly about cost saving in the long run (using fewer diapers per day) and hence, lowering the environmental impact. To be honest, I've never really thought about it from that angle.

As a side note, I really do wonder how people get into the diaper-design business.

Also, I've noticed a link to this site has appear at the bottom of the comments list (entry number 38). I wonder what response that'll bring on...

Darkfinn

Quote Originally Posted by Lukie View Post
    You know, sometimes I get the feeling you like diapers waaay too much.
    A distinct possibility. I'll consider it an addiction... it doesn't really bother me though... most of the time it's really fun.

I wonder if that same guy designed Bambino.

usually I wear them longer then normal when I'm almost out and have to buy another pack. Of course, I can't stop people from thinking that's gross, though. You can't please everyone!

He didn't really do a fair comparison. He said in the article that US diapers tend to last 4-6 hours where as he went for the European mindset of 8-12 hours. He then compared it to having to use 6 US style cheap ones to using 2 European style diapers per day. He used the low number (4 hours) for the US cheap diapers (4 hours x 6 diapers = 24 hours). Then he used the high number for the European diapers (12 hours) for the European diapers (12 hours x 2 diapers = 24 hours). When in reality he should of either used 6 hours for US diapers or 8 hours for european diapers to make it fair. So what it should be is 8 hours x 3 diapers = 24 hours. For a final comparison of 6 diapers to 3 diapers per day, instead of 6 to 2.

Which inturn makes the European style diapers actually cost 90 cents more per day than the US diapers, because it now costs $4.50 instead of $3.00 going by his numbers (1.50 x 3 = $4.50 per day). Compaired to the 60 cents per diaper he used for the US diapers (0.60 x 6 = $3.60 per day). Hence costing 90 cents more for the European diapers ($4.50 for European - $3.60 for US = $0.90).

I still agree with him other than that, I just wanted to point that out.

Darkfinn

Cost analysis is really a hard thing to generalize. Diaper usage habits vary widely from person to person... but I do see your point. It depends on what matters most to the wearer... capacity or comfort.

When I was using the Secure X-plus only I would wear 2-3 of them a day. Using Attends only I wear 4-5 per day.

Comboing the two allows me to use just 3 diapers per day. Two Attends for at work... and one Secure when I get home.

The only reason I switched to the Attends is comfort. Don't get me wrong... Secures are really great... but I find that a thicker diaper is just too hot during the summer time... especially at work where I'm moving around a lot and there is no AC. The Attends are really comfortable... but I have to sacrifice some absorbancy to get the comfort.

Personally I don't mind that at all... as changing halfway through the day gives me a nice little chance to cool down and clean up for a few minutes (the bathrooms have AC) before I get back to work. Nothing beats the feeling of a fresh diaper on a hot afternoon... the wet ones get icky really fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkfinn View Post
    Cost analysis is really a hard thing to generalize. Diaper usage habits vary widely from person to person... but I do see your point. It depends on what matters most to the wearer... capacity or comfort.
    Personally I'd have to agree with you, I was just pointing out a flaw in his article that bugged me. High capacity isn't always a good thing for the trade offs it has. Like when your out in public thinner is better for me, less noticable and not as hot in the summer is more important.

I don't even really even agree with those numbers. Like here in Canada I can get a bag of 20 medium depend fitted maximum diapers at the local drugstore for $20, or $1.00 per diaper. Where as I can go to a local company that imports European diapers into Canada and get a bag of 20 medium Kendall Lille Supreme Fit Maxi diapers for $25, or $1.25 per diaper. The kendalls are only 25 cents more per diaper than the depends are, but hold over twice as much as the depends do. So as far as cost per capacity the European ones would be a lot cheaper in this case.

I like the kendalls because they are nice and thick and hold quite a bit, but they arn't always the best choice for hot days and going out in public. So it does really depend on the person and the situation, like you said.

Darkfinn

Quote Originally Posted by jabo View Post
    I don't even really even agree with those numbers. Like here in Canada I can get a bag of 20 medium depend fitted maximum diapers at the local drugstore for $20, or $1.00 per diaper. Where as I can go to a local company that imports European diapers into Canada and get a bag of 20 medium Kendall Lille Supreme Fit Maxi diapers for $25, or $1.25 per diaper. The kendalls are only 25 cents more per diaper than the depends are, but hold over twice as much as the depends do. So as far as cost per capacity the European ones would be a lot cheaper in this case.
    Local costs are always a big factor. Thus why I prefer to order all my products online... shipping is always free... and you get good deals when ordering in bulk. You are right on the money there.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkfinn View Post
    Local costs are always a big factor. Thus why I prefer to order all my products online... shipping is always free... and you get good deals when ordering in bulk. You are right on the money there.
    Yup, by bulk is definitly cheaper. Thats how I always buy from that local company that imports European Kendall and European Tena diapers. They don't even like selling by the bag, though they will if you ask. This company also delivers for free. They deliver it themselves, so its a lot like ordering a pizza. Call them up and tell them what you want and they usually get it here within a couple hours. I hate ordering online because I always sit there wondering when they are going to show up and if there is going to be anyone around at the time to notice and all that. Its not too bad if you atleast get a tracking number though.

Darkfinn

Quote Originally Posted by jabo View Post
    I always buy from that local company that imports European Kendall and European Tena diapers. They don't even like selling by the bag, though they will if you ask. This company also delivers for free. They deliver it themselves, so its a lot like ordering a pizza. Call them up and tell them what you want and they usually get it here within a couple hours.
    Wow... that's a sweet deal. I can't find any place here stateside that sells Euro Tenas period... local or not.

I guess there aren't enough diaper wearers in Charlotte yet... I'll have to work on that.