Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The word "Fag".

Unhappy The word "Fag".

I'm really just hurt right now, so if this comes off in a wrong way, I truly apologize.

My mom, and I spoke for 2 hours about several topics. One of religion, and for us that's a difficult one. My mother is a Christian, and I'm an Atheist so we clash heads a lot. At least on certain topics. We agree on most things (kindness, giving, love, forgiveness, etc), but it's the categories that mess us up.

One in particular being homosexuality. Now we didn't talk about it tonight, but we have and it was just awful. She's against them (considers them awful, from what I can tell worse than murderers by the way she acted), and I love them. I try to cherish all types, so for someone to say something bad about another just because of their orientation really pisses me off. So, I yelled. She did too. And that's all that was accomplished that night.

Anyway, tonight we just talked about religion. My studies on Christianity, made us talk about her church, which made her talk about one particular service where the preacher waved his hand trying to represent a "fag". As she said it. It's so stereotypical, and so incredibly offensive that I just wanted to defend it right then. But I didn't.

I just let it slide. And now I'm just really upset with myself. I hate the word "fag", I hate it for what it tries to represent, but completely fails at.

No person is the same, no homosexual is a fag, and I am sick of everyone trying to fight everyone for no reason.

Let people live, flourish, and be happy. And if nothing else, just let our future generations learn from our mistakes.

AndrewThatsMyName

I use the word, "Fag" on many levels, but none to compare a homosexual. I believe that I was grown into the word "Fag" as it was said through out my middle school/high school years, and came to believe that "Fag" was someone of whome was not right in the eyes of us, someone who could be considered popular, and too unaware of those beneath. but I feel the word has become too involved into slang for it to refer to a homosexual. Like if I wanted to say a person was gay, I would not blatantly say, "Hey, that person's a fag!" No. Incorrect use. I also use the word "gay" in slang too, but don't use it as a hate word against actual gays. I guess many people use it as a slang word, like "retarded" or "bitch". But if someone, like your mom, uses it as a hate word against homosexuals, that does not come off to me as anything good.

I completely agree. I hate the word and just the general way people use it, it's just not right.

The word fag to me means nothing more than its definition of a "Cigarette" or faggot "A bundle of sticks" just as the word gay to me also means "Happy"

They are just words, I know it may not seem like the right thing to do, but just try to ignore them. The people who use it in other contexts have low self esteem and are obviously just covering up for a way they were treated by others.

Seems to me that word has become a lot more negative over the past six or seven years. Used to be something we'd call each oterh at school as an insult, but now it's like, super offensive and stuff. Like that nasty "N word" almost, except for its not the "F word" yet. I guess we already got one of those. Maybe it should be phag instead, I dunno. Disirregardess, seems much more offensive these days. Still here folks call people gay, but fag is crossing some sort of line. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. Probably neither. Don't need words to hurt people at all.

Speaking of which, and regarding the original topic, doesn't seem like much a word Jesus would use to describe a person, so why would a Christian?

I use the word an awful lot.

But I like to believe that it does not represent homosexuals, but is merely a replacement for simple profanities.
    (i.e.: dumb-ass, etc.)

I mean no disrespect to homosexuals, considering a large number of my friends happen to be homosexual.

Personally, and this may be that I am heterosexual, I do not see how the word can be taken as offensive.

I've always had a bit of a love hate relationship with the words "fag" and "faggot". Amongst my friends the two have all but become terms of endearment. At the same time, if someone uses either in a hateful context, I start getting homicidal urges.
    I guess it's just like any other word, it all depends on how it's used.

Quote Originally Posted by Zedd View Post
    I've always had a bit of a love hate relationship with the words "fag" and "faggot". Amongst my friends the two have all but become terms of endearment. At the same time, if someone uses either in a hateful context, I start getting homicidal urges.
    I guess it's just like any other word, it all depends on how it's used.
    I agree with this. I don't find words offensive - it's their intent that counts. We assign meanings to words, but we often use them improperly, so that really does have to be taken into account.

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryRaven View Post
    Let people live, flourish, and be happy. And if nothing else, just let our future generations learn from our mistakes.
    I couldn't agree more! I've been a bit put off religion because of all of the people who have told me I was "possessed" by the devil or Satan, that my mother must have done something horrible and I was being punished because of her sins, people trying to drag me into church while I waited for a bus, people stopping me in odd places to pray for me and telling me that if I just prayed more I would be "cured". (I've been blind and had Cerebral Palsy since birth and a spinal cord injury in 2004.)

I don't have anything against religion, but I do wish people would stop trying to force their religious beliefs onto other people. I think everyone should be allowed to believe whatever they want to believe. If people were left to decide for themselves then the world would be a much happier place!

I couldn't have said it better myself WildKat. People just need to find there own truth, or at least their own morals. Leaving it to others (or other religions) just seems to mess things up.
    But I completely agree!