Thread: Computer randomly restarting

Default Computer randomly restarting

My desktop PC is having problems. Its 3 or 4 years old and is an EI-System E302 running XP Home 32-bit.

It will be working perfectly, then it will just die. There is a 5 second gap between the computer completely freezing before the power is cut and it will then go back to start up. If I'm listening to music it will jam on a piece of music. It doesn't shut down just dies then starts up again.

I have changed the RAM, and it now has 2GB instead of the 1 that was there to start with. It still does it.

I have tried 2 different hard drives, all with different OSs on, still does it.

I have disconnected everything except keyboard, mouse and monitor, still does it.

Done virus scans from AVG and Radialpoint - Nothing come up

All drivers have been updated, still does it.

Tried all software and it still does it.

Its not a problem with overheating. It is set to beep when it gets very hot, and it has only done that once.

Since the computer started doing this, on startup there is a very loud high pitch buzz which will last for a minute or 2, then it goes back to normal.

There is nothing that i have done that always kills it, but there are some things i do that are more likely to kill it. This is usually leaving it on without touching it for more than 10 mins, or anything that uses flash.

Thats all i can think of to tell you at the min. Ask if you want any more info or you want me to try something.

In your BIOS, you should be able to view statistics of the hardware (fan speeds, core temps, etc.). Google how to get there on your motherboard/BIOS and leave it alone and watch for fans spinning down, voltages doing weird things, and other abnormalities.

sounds like you need to upgrade your PSU wattage, although I could be wrong, you should try starting it in safe mode to see if it still does it (press f8 while it's booting from bios).

I feel soooo stupid. I just went to take another look inside and the motherboard's power connection was loose. Just clicked it back in. Gonna leave it for a bit and see what happens. It doesn't exactly explain it all, But maybe it will have sorted it.

I restarted it and the buzzing has gone, So maybe that was it.

Thanks for the help anyway.

Just a quick update - Its still working fine now, But i'm going to reinstall the OS, Then have tomorrow putting all my software back. OH JOY!
    Last edited by PaddedPuppy; 25-Feb-2011 at 19:42.