Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wetting - Sign of things to come?

Question Wetting - Sign of things to come?

I'm not a particularly well individual, but I used to consider myself healthy none-the-less. Granted with this new symptom comes a whole new set of problems.

A couple weeks ago we found out that my kidneys are functionally almost-perfectly. I won't need surgery, or any medicine which is wonderful. But we did find that my bladder isn't functionally normally, or at all sometimes. And with my urethra the way it is (too tight), the majority of the time my urine just can't get out. It only knows how to build up in my bladder, or come out when it's way too full. Even in public, which made for some really bad days let me tell you.

So, a lot of the time it's like a living hell.

I have a procedure done every few weeks to make it more comfortable, but doesn't always work. And it never has lasted yet.

What I want to get at is that I'm afraid that with the push and pull that my bladder is going through, I feel like I will be incontinent in only a few more years. My Urologist told me that I have a great chance of it, but that "you never know". And that's what I have to keep to.

I don't want to be left in diapers all my life, so I need some support. Or perhaps just a "It's OK" thing. I don't know.

Uhm, *hugs*?

It's good news that your kidneys are functioning well. Very, very good news; I would personally focus on that, since you need those kidneys in good working order to live. And even needing dialysis would be a hard way to go through life.

But as far as how your bladder is functioning--that sounds pretty hard to deal with, too. Right now, I've got an upcoming surgery that could leave me incontinent. I'm crossing my fingers that it won't and it probably will not--it's not a common complication, but it has happened to people before, and it is a possibility. I've been mulling over the question "how would I deal with it?". Short answer: it would definitely have an impact on my life (such as figuring out how to integrate diapers, or possibly a catheter, into an active life); it would flat out suck some of the time; but it would be livable. It surely wouldn't kill me. I would find ways to enjoy everything in life that I do now, but with some inconvenience thrown in.

Full-on incontinence is not something that I have to deal with right now (so maybe some of the other people here will have a differing opinion), but it seems that attitude would be a major factor in how well one handles it. Actually, I think that goes for pretty much every unpleasant--but livable--curveball that life can deal us.

Thank you so much!!! I truly wish you all the best on your upcoming surgery! *hugs*

I'm really sorry to hear about your problem, I hope it turns out better for you than it sounds like. I can't really offer you any advice here, as my accidents are much more infrequent and only at night...

We're always here for you if you need to talk, though.

We're very adaptable creatures, we people. We're also capable of making ourselves misterable - that's the other side of the same "coin." Just remember that what-ifs don't count. What if this? What if that? Soon enough you'll make yourself crazy and distraught. Don't go there. What-if's don't count.

I'm sorry for what you are going through, but there is a way to bring back your quality of life!!

More information on incontinence, symptoms, therapies and treatments can be found at Home | Incontinence, Nocturia, Enlarged Prostate, and Prolapse Information. The National Association for Continence is the world’s largest and most prolific consumer advocacy organization dedicated to public education and awareness about bladder and bowel control problems, voiding dysfunction including retention, nocturia and bedwetting, and pelvic floor disorders such as prolapse.

Check out our blogs! Powder Room Talk or Bladder Break

Thank you so much, that just means everything to me at this point! the world

---------- Post added at 02:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:28 AM ----------

I will try to remember that, thank you!

i have been urinary and fecal incontinent my whole life. it used to be a great source of shame for me and i did what ever i could to try and hide it from people and thats not an easy thing to do. now i live my life the best i can....i get out on a regular basis and even though i could qualify for disability given my disabilities and the fact i got it as a kid, i choose to work when i can find it. life goes on with incontinence. its not easy and there are many possibilities to be embarrassed but it could be worse......

Sorry that you are going through this. It's not something that is always easy to deal with or live with. As you said the good news is your Kidney's are working fine. I too have bladder problems to where I have no control of it. It let's go when it wants no matter when/where/what I am doing. For me I will have to be in diapers the rest of my life unless I allow them to remove my bladder and make my kidney's empty into a bag attached to my belly. Not it isn't something that we want to live with, but after all that I have gone through, wearing diapers all the time is a much better choice than going through major surgery. Keep doing what you have to in order to live the quality of like you want. Keep up your spirits, we are here to listen and answer when we can.

A few of my 'coping mechanisms: Attitude of mind is vital; a social network of people able to genuinely say "I know exactly how you feel"; a space to share how I feel; remembering the beautiful things in my life; not allowing 'what if?' and 'But ...' to linger in my thoughts; Thank you adisc and thank you to you guys for your support.