Thread: video games and the music within them

Default video games and the music within them

honestly i think there are some rather overlooked songs in games if your into just about any genre and these are just some of my picks...

Orchestra: YouTube - Ace Combat 6 Soundtrack: Liberation of Gracemaria
    Liberation of Gracemeria
    k. kobayashi

Rap(ish?): YouTube - The World Ends With You- Three Minutes Clapping (Full)
    Three Minutes Clapping
    i wish i knew who composed it/sung it

Techno(ish): YouTube - Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep - Wheel Master Boss Battle Theme
    Tumbling (thats the official name the video calls it something else)
    yoko shimomura

SPANISH FREAKIN GUITAR(yes i made that a genre and i highly recommend this one!): YouTube - Ace Combat Zero - Mission "Zero" Music
    Zero
    keiki kobayashi again

i have a lot more that i love but... i wanted to keep this short and only one per genre (i know of a lot of good VG tunes just about everything from ace combat to Z.H.P.)

whats your thoughts on the music of video games? like or dislike? what are some of your favorites?
    please do give at least some of them a listen (preferable the last or first one) if you want to chime in

Hmm. I quite like the first one. Not sure about the fourth. Though if you like Spanish Guitar, try the Gerudo Valley Theme from Occarina of Time.

I think the problem is that most gamers aren't really paying attention to the music most of the time, and most non-gamers don't realise that games left 8-bit MIDI tracks behind a long time ago (though even 8-bit could be pretty good - I've always liked the Introduction Theme from Utopia, and Megablast from Xenon 2 is an all-time classic). But that's hardly surprising. Non-gamers don't appreciate just how much time, effort and money goes into a major gaming release. The idea that a game would have a fully orchestrated score probably wouldn't occur to most people.

My favourites are the soundtracks to Mass Effect I and II (which are the first game OST releases I've ever bought - the first I've ever seen) - in particular M4 Part 2 (Faunts) and Suicide Mission. I've also liked every version of Hell March from the C&C: Red Alert series. Oh, and of course, the Monkey Island Theme.

So, just for fun, a list of all the VG OSTs I own in actual commercial CD release: Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete, Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete, FF VI, FF VII, Metal Gear Solid, Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Soul Calibur III, Deus Ex, C&C: Tiberian Sun, No One Lives Forever, Icewind Dale, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Grandia II, Age of Empires, Growlanser Generations, Kingdom Hearts, Kingdom Hearts II, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, WoW: TBC, Halo, Halo 2, Halo 3, Dance Dance Revolution 2nd Mix, DDR 3rd Mix, DDR 6th Mix
    . . . never done that before; hadn't realized how big collection's gotten.

I think the music in Halo: Reach is really good, especially in the cinematic you see at startup

-G

Quote Originally Posted by Akastus View Post
    Hmm. I quite like the first one. Not sure about the fourth. Though if you like Spanish Guitar, try the Gerudo Valley Theme from Occarina of Time.

I think the problem is that most gamers aren't really paying attention to the music most of the time, and most non-gamers don't realise that games left 8-bit MIDI tracks behind a long time ago (though even 8-bit could be pretty good - I've always liked the Introduction Theme from Utopia, and Megablast from Xenon 2 is an all-time classic). But that's hardly surprising. Non-gamers don't appreciate just how much time, effort and money goes into a major gaming release. The idea that a game would have a fully orchestrated score probably wouldn't occur to most people.

My favourites are the soundtracks to Mass Effect I and II (which are the first game OST releases I've ever bought - the first I've ever seen) - in particular M4 Part 2 (Faunts) and Suicide Mission. I've also liked every version of Hell March from the C&C: Red Alert series. Oh, and of course, the Monkey Island Theme.
    who hasn't heard of one of koji kondo's best works (besides the zelda main theme of course) although he seems to have a lot of them

but i think for the most part with zero you either love it or you don't there does not seem to be much middle ground

I love this song so much. First thing I practical did once I got my cell phone was set this as my ringtone.

Though I edited a copy of it to be from 3:02 - 4:22 for the ringtone. That part honestly makes me happy to listen to.