Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slow Cooking

Default Slow Cooking

I've just bought myself a 3.5L slow cooker in a sale. I'm now looking for some interesting recipes to try with it. I've tried a beef goulash and a couple of curries so far, and they turned out alright. Now I'd like to try something more elaborate. Anyone got any good suggestions?
    Last edited by Akastus; 18-Feb-2011 at 23:15.

Although not very elaborate a few good dishes that work well in slow cookers are swiss steak, pot roast, and chili.

One my family (and others around here) have done before is make shredded beef (or pork) in the slow cooker before. It isn't elaborate, but done right, it can taste amazing.

Something bean-based, perhaps:

- proper Boston baked beans? (salt pork in a piece, onions, haricot beans, tomatoes, treacle/molasses and mustard)
    - or beancrock (haricots, pig's trotter, onions, belly pork, stock, a little cider. You don't eat the trotter: it improves the taste/texture of the gravy)

Artie

Hotpot!

Everyone should make hotpot as often as possible, especially if you have a slow cooker!

my wife a few nights ago put some frozen chicken breasts in the crock pot, and dumped a jar of salsa. No added seasoning. Became one of my favorite dishes.

Quote Originally Posted by Karibw View Post
    my wife a few nights ago put some frozen chicken breasts in the crock pot, and dumped a jar of salsa. No added seasoning. Became one of my favorite dishes.
    Huh. Interesting. Hot or mild salsa? I may have to try it with my hot pepper marmalade.

I prefer spicy food, but her stomach can't handle as much. I think she used mild. Still very tasty.

Quote Originally Posted by Akastus View Post
    I've just bought myself a 3.5L slow cooker in a sale. I'm now looking for some interesting recipes to try with it. I've tried a beef goulash and a couple of curries so far, and they turned out alright. Now I'd like to try something more elaborate. Anyone got any good suggestions?
    Something from my personal archive: Cochon Soul (French for "Drunken Pig") - my attempt to elevate a classic New England pot roast.

1 pork shoulder or "butt" here in the states (4-5 pounds)
    1 T light olive oil
    3 large potatoes, 1 pound of carrots, and one large onion cut into 1-inch dice
    6 T minced fresh garlic (roughly one medium head)
    3 T kosher salt (or coarse sea salt. Don't use iodized table salt, whatever you do)
    1 t ground black pepper (grind yourself, don't use that nasty sneezing powder)
    1 bottle (750mL) sweet vermouth
    1/4 c flour
    2 T butter
    2 T dried tarragon (or 4 T fresh)
    1 t salt
    Salt and pepper the meat and sear in oil on high heat on all sides until nicely browned. Place meat in crock along with root vegetables, garlic, vermouth, and just enough water to cover. Cover and cook on high heat for 3-4 hours, or until meat falls apart with a fork.

Add butter to a small saucepan. Melt and add flour, stirring constantly, until it forms a paste and begins bubbling. Add tarragon, salt, and cooking liquid from above. Continue stirring until thickened. Serve over meat and vegetables.