Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Windows vista

Default Windows vista

I was wondering if vista could run on 256 MB of RAM

Kip

I highly doubt it. I don't have Vista, so I'm just guessing. Depending on what brand your computer is, you might be able to get a RAM upgrade chip. I got one for a Dell laptop through Dell's website.

Quote Originally Posted by chevre View Post
    Lol. I wouldn't touch Vista with under 2GB, sorry.
    Bah, it works fine with 1GB.

there is software out there called vlite. Basically it strips down vista to a basic level. And there has been reports of running vista on 256MB ram. But well be very limited and generally not worth it. You are better off with XP or even 2000 pro. Personally I would like to have at least 512mb on my machines these days, it will be relatively cheap to upgrade, dut that depends on what hardware you have and if it can support more than 256MB.

I had 2gig and the Home Premium ran slow. With 3gig and Vista Home basic my computer runs great.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandi View Post
    I had 2gig and the Home Premium ran slow. With 3gig and Vista Home basic my computer runs great.
    I got a Home Premium laptop with 1GB and it works perfectly, as long as I don't do anything that consumes too much bandwidth.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandi View Post
    I think it depends entirely how you use your system and what for. My laptop has 1 gig of ram and Ran RC1 and RC2 fine. But when the real thing came out, it just ran slowly but never the less everything worked without too many hiccups.

Personally, I would use at least 4GB and be on 64Bit. By the time I've got the money to upgrade, 64 bit would be more widely used.

Which brings me to an unrelated note, Why the hell do OEMs give out 32 Bit Vista on all computers capable of 32bit? I mean the customer won't be able to tell and its not that expensive compared to 32it. Oh wait! Drivers... Hardware vendors should get off their ass and make some decent drivers for once.

Can it run? Probably. Would it be tolerable? Probably not in the slightest.