Thread: Hello from DprScrt

Default Hello from DprScrt

Hello all,

I am trying to follow the cheat sheet here. I'm a long time DL who works as an engineer. I'm almost 30 and I enjoy PC games (attempting to build my own PC right now). I am also on the hunt for a motorcycle. I took the MSF course last Fall and want to explore the hobby a little more. I fell in love with automatic watches at one point, but between PC hardware and riding gear I don't see me buying a fancy watch any time soon.

To be honest, I registered for this site to be able to read through the marshmallow thread. It seems I've found a good group of like minded folks to communicate with and learn from. I'm not the most prolific poster though, so be warned, I tend to come and go, throwing comments or questions in here and there.

Anyway, thanks for having me!

Excellent introduction! For the sake of the ignorant here (I.e. Yours truly), what is an automatic watch? I understand wind-up ones and battery ones, and I've heard of the ones you shake once in awhile. Automatic, though, confuses me in terms of a watch. Then again, I'm one who calls my cell phone my watch, although I do have a wind-up watch a former manager brought back for me from China. It does in fact have chairman Mao, and the second ticker is his arm waving to a crowd.

Anyways, welcome!

Well, you seem to know already! Automatic winding watches have a weighted rotor inside that spins around as you move your arm throughout the day, keeping the mainspring wound. If you take it off and set it down for a day or two it will wind down and stop. This one looks like the model I'm wearing right now actually.

A friend of mine had a big collection of Omega watches that were all self-winding. He had this glass display case (Omega branded even!) and each watch was inside it and the case continually moved each one around so that they were always wound. No idea what that could have cost...

Yes there was a time when automatic watches represented one of the heights of sophisticated engineering. The big deal was their being shockproof, waterproof, accurate, and not too big and heavy; all this alongside the inherent complexity of the winding mechanism. As said above it involved a weight which could pivot freely in one direction (using a ratchet, similar to ones mechanics use to tighten bolts) but whose movement would turn a gear in the other which would tighten a spring, the same spring that powered the escapement, which is basically the mechanism that divides the time into bits .

Culturally there was a giant leap in price and quality from a manually wound watch to an automatic, and brands like Rolex, Bulova, and Seiko held their own; plus many of the top end watches were Swiss: it was Switzerland's biggest claim to fame after banking. So the automatic watch was very much a cultural icon.

I hope this explains a bit more about why a person would collect them, what is so special about them, why they were historically important... than just saying how they work mechanically.