Thread: Incon due to psychological trauma?

Default Incon due to psychological trauma?

I'm not entirely sure that this is the proper place for this thread, but it seemed more fitting than the others.

This site has been bringing back a lot of my childhood memories, and this is one that has been surfacing often enough I felt I should talk about it. When I was 11, my house burned down. We ended up living at my grandparents house for the next 6 months while we rebuilt. I've never had a problem with bedwetting, but after this, I was wetting the bed almost every night for three months straight, over the next few years it slowly decreased until finally going away when I was 13.
    I've since heard about psychological trauma causing this sort of thing, but usually only in anecdotes, never anything in detail. Has anyone else experienced something like this? I'm fairly certain that 'A' was the direct cause of 'B', but, as mentioned, I've not found any real details about this sort of thing. If you have experienced this yourself, or if you have children who have, I would love to hear from you.

This has never happened to me, but I think your assessment of yourself is correct. Not only did you lose your house and home, but your lives were threatened as well. Because it was traumatic, you may have psychologically wanted to go back to a time when things were innocent and safe. Somewhere in the back of your mind, it chose this way to deal with it. I'm sorry that you had to experience something so frightening.

So this could actually turn into a pretty long answer, but I am going to try and keep it short. From a medically/psychiatric standpoint what you describe is a fairly common response to some form of trauma, and while the type of regression and the inciting event often vary. As far as personal experience, I can't say I have seen it a lot, but I have seen/discussed cases were children who suffered an acute psychiatric or traumatic insult have lost previously achieved developmental milestones (depending on their age) such as starting to wet the bed after having previously been dry at night.

Thanks, bdb2004, Thats more than I've been able to dig up on my own. This is one of those things that has been at the back of my mind for years, and I'm glad to hear that regression is more common than I had thought.

Well, without getting too gruesome?
    I (now), recall having troubles with bed-wetting/bowel troubles, throughout my childhood. Some of these, I never 'forgot', though the real reason(s) remained hidden to me for a very, very long time.
    Bottom line is that, due to being sexually abused, and other bad things, I had some trouble with being incontinent as a child.
    When the memories began to return, nearly 3 decades later (damn, but that makes me feel so old to type it!), I started having flashbacks, which were bad enough. Later-on, during nightmares, I started having incontinent issues, again.
    Well, I don't know why I can't seem to 'STOP', though with all the other troubles (IBS, etc.), I suppose it's just one piece of the entire puzzle?
    I wish you well in yours, and anyone else's Healing. It can be a very tough road.

Psychological trauma can cause bedwetting, although rare it can cause IC as well. Granted I have never experienced it directly myself I have seen it first hand on multiple occasions. Not with children but with adults so not sure if that helps much with what your looking for.