Thread: College

Smile College

I've been going to college since I was 14 with a scholarship, since I can't afford it otherwise. But I finished all of my high school courses, and the majority of my college classes while I was there. My only problem is that I'm going to transfer to a new college to receive my degree, and just wanted to know if there are any tips/tricks in getting into college almost free.

If not, I'll deal. If so, please spill.

I'm going to FAFSA Saturday, but just thought I would look at ADISC's community's advice.

Thanks!

Check around and see if any charitable organizations in your area offer scholarships. The Rotary club around here does a bunch every year. I don't believe they're full ride, but every bit helps.

Also, see if your new college has GPA-based incentives. My college has a contest every quarter for students with a 3.5 or higher cumulative GPA, and there's apparently about a 1 in 3 chance of winning free tuition for as many classes as you can handle in one quarter.

locololo

three words, join the army

locololo has a good point

the military is a great way to pay and You dont have to sign up to go into battle, such as my friend who did dental school through the navy. Now he practices on the navy base, but he hasnt acually had to go in to combat

locololo

Quote Originally Posted by Orcaway View Post
    locololo has a good point

the military is a great way to pay and You dont have to sign up to go into battle, such as my friend who did dental school through the navy. Now he practices on the navy base, but he hasnt acually had to go in to combat
    i am from an army family, and it actually isn't that bad, it helps your kids grow independent if they live as one, and the college and retirement pay isn't too bad

Joining the military can work, though if one were to go that route, getting into a military academy or a ROTC program is probably the best way to go about it.

Most of getting money outside of a need-based route happen is dependent on the colleges to which you apply, i.e. simply applying to schools that potentially offer merit aid to a student of your caliber, and filling out any silly paperwork needed to apply. Generally speaking, the colleges that will give you merit aid will be those for which you are way above average for an incoming student (they wouldn't be incentivizing you otherwise), so merit aid tends to be a trade-off between one's dream school and an affordable one.

All that aside - you mention that you've finished most of your courses and have been attending community college on scholarship, so you're a really special and unique case. You're probably not in a position to get most merit-based aid because most merit-based aid is for incoming freshmen rather than transfers. Check schools' websites to see what they offer.

The scholarship on which you've been attending community college - is it need- or merit-based? If it's need-based, then presumably you should be able to get need-based aid anywhere else you attend as well.

make sure your classes transfer, and your school is accredited. Besides that it shouldn't really matter.

I must caution against the military route. Regardless of career field you can be sent into a combat zone. Also boot camp is no walk in the park. But to make things worse the pay is horrible for low ranking recruits, and they are not always reliable about paying benefits. Add in the possibility of being recalled after your tour of duty and you've got the potential for a whole lot of suffering.
    I am not saying that joining the military will automatically mean problems. Many are better off for their service. But I have personally known quite a few whose lives were made worse by joining.
    Last edited by ImNotHere; 19-Feb-2011 at 02:25. Reason: Reworded sentence.