Thread: Door to Door Sales

Default Door to Door Sales

Hey there, ya'll.
    Corri is off on another life adventure, this time I have found myself in California, and working as a door to door salesman. Those of you here, do you have any stories to share if you have done this kind of work?
    I'd like to hear some, maybe we can even swap tips 8P

Right now, I am dealing home appliances door to door with a 50% commission over 'retail' which is what the warehouse tells me I actually pay them out of the final sales price, the other 50% goes to the crew leader.
    I do quite enjoy the work, it's pretty boss. I just have a little trouble actually getting prospects, and into their home.

How bout you guys?

I did it shortly after I was married. I decided to get my reality's license and sell houses. You're probably thinking, you can't sell houses door to door and you are right, but what we had to do was sell our self. We had cards made up and we would canvass a neighborhood, going door to door. I would knock and introduce myself, saying that the average person moves every 7 years. I would give them my card and some literature from the company that I worked for. I would tell them then if they had to sell their house I would work hard for them as their agent. We had to go back every 6 months. The theory was that over a period of time, the home owner would say to themselves that this guy must be a real go getter. It worked, but I hated doing it.

The irony of this was that it was 1979 when the country went into extreme inflation under President Jimmy Carter, and interest rates for home mortgages skyrocketed to at least 15 percent. No one was selling or buying.

Quote Originally Posted by Corri View Post
    I just have a little trouble actually getting prospects, and into their home.
    No one in stockton let's people into their homes anymore for safety concenrs. Also if I was buying appliances I would rather much shop at the home depot or Lowes which California is FILLED with. Rather then some stranger who think's he can push me into buying a appliance, when my current ones are working perfectly fine.

I hope your not paid on commission and if you are, just get out now and find a actual job.

A group of friends and I were accosted by a door-to-door-salesman salesman. He was trying to sell people getting a job and he was getting money for it. Fortunately I had the gall to refuse right away. Unfortunately one of my friends didn't, and so we all sat around for 30 minutes while he gave semi-fake information so the guy wouldn't contact him.

I don't mind people selling stuff at my door depending on what they're selling. If it's some crazy expensive stuff then why would I have the kind of money to buy it? If it's food I'll sometimes peruse the catalog

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    No one in stockton let's people into their homes anymore for safety concenrs. Also if I was buying appliances I would rather much shop at the home depot or Lowes which California is FILLED with. Rather then some stranger who think's he can push me into buying a appliance, when my current ones are working perfectly fine.

I hope your not paid on commission and if you are, just get out now and find a actual job.

Sadly, people are concerned about safety in a post 9-11, and fear centric media world. It really is not hard to have someone invite you into their home to show them your product. It's how people did it not even thirty years ago most of the time, and people opened their doors quite easily. They know the Electrolux/Kirby/Rainbow/Whirpoool salesman when they saw him, and knew what he had to offer. Then came the retail storm, when things are made to break...
    Again, the classic sales man hits the street, showing you the product before you buy it.

Some things you can't buy online, or in stores. Door to door marketing is still alive and well, plus... it's a bit more convenient then going to a retail outlet and looking for the appliance that 'looks good, and has good reviews' that you cant base off of anything, then the one that was shown to work in your own home right?

Define an actual job, my friend :p
    An actual job could be McDonalds, but that doesnt pay shit. It might be guaranteed pay, but it's not enough.
    No one is gonna push you into buying something you don't want to. Sales work is thankless, especially door to door. Everyone envisions the 'shark' with his greasy finned up hair, cheap suit, smooth persuasive talk, and high pressure solicitation of retirees.
    Most are just college kids looking to make more money then they can at Starbucks. Keep in mind the value of commission based work for people who can cut it.
    A usual standard for commissions is about 60% over the distributors 'value', a good salesman makes around 4 sales on a very slow week.
    Lets say the commission on those is each 200, 2*4*10=800.
    Thats 100 hours at Starbucks, at 8/hr, at forty hours a week (10/4=2.5)
    It would take 100 hours at a 'normal' job, or 2.5 weeks of 40 hour days, to equal the same amount of cash flow for four (very lousy even) commissions. Sales work is some of the best paying work you can get into, behind healthcare, and piloting. Marketing Directors get payed up to 35h/r, starting. That sort of career starts with sales work.

I have been working as a professional salesman at mall kiosks on the east coast for the past year and a half, and one of my coworkers sold U.S. Meat door-to-door before this job. I can give you a wealth of information on this topic.

Moreso than any other job, door-to-door selling is thankless and frustrating. It's incredibly boring to stand in one spot and have to explain what a sugar glider is over and over to any shmoe who walks by, but it is an incredible blessing that there are interested people who want to learn more. You do not have that luxury; Jacob says that on average, with his excellent looks and charming personality (which I can vouch for) he could only get his foot in the door about once every 20 houses. When he did get someone willing to have a conversation, he would say "great, let me go back to my truck so I can show you what I'm talking about." He would LEAVE the house, pick up a box of meat from the cooler truck, and bring it into the house so he could demonstrate. Being willing to leave the scene makes a very strong impression that you aren't worried about them slamming the door in your face and you aren't a "pushy" salesman. It shows an incredible amount of confidence and control over the situation, even though they always have the choice of saying goodbye; the same principle applies in hypnosis, where the subject is voluntarily giving up control, rather than control being wrested away from them. Be pushy, but do everything to dispel that appearance.

What is most important and 100% vital is to have a sales script. Write down an 8-page script that goes over an uninterrupted pitch, and 20 common questions. Have your manager and regional director and maybe even the president look over your script and ask them for advice. If they gave you a script already, read it over and learn it word-for-word, and practice it until you can say it in your sleep. I have literally said my script in my sleep, dreaming that there were customers around my bed (not a fun night.) Once you have the words down cold, focus on your vocal inflections and facial expressions. To appear sincere, think the word "soft" or "gentle" in your mind while talking, and your eyes will melt. Use your eyebrows; if they can't see your eyebrows, get a shorter haircut. Don't get too excited, but try to build excitement in the customer, and feed into it; always match your energy level to theirs, but a little bit more. RELATE to the customer; if you are good enough at your pitch, you can alter your mannerisms and expressions to be more "on their wavelength," but this is an advanced technique; in the beginning you will want to develop your own sales persona which works for your product/script, and build that up to an expert level.

Another advanced technique: Always end your sentences on a down note. Your voice should rise in the middle and fall at the end, like the Japanese he . Each WORD should also have a tiny rise in the middle too, and it's incredibly difficult to train yourself to do that fluently, but it is so worth it if you can. The thing is, if you end a sentence on an up-note, that's like asking a question, and it shows you aren't confident in your statement. In my script we say "If you just put him up to your nose and smell him, he kinda smells like a puppy. There's no rodent kind of odor is there." In the past I would say it like "There's no rodent kind of odor is there." But that is too question-like still. It's better to say "There's no rodent kind of odor is there. The difference is incredibly subtle, but it is very useful to punch words and phrases that you want to stick, while de-emphasizing negative parts while still stating them.

Also, do not blow THROUGH your pitch and get all the words out. Every sale is critical, especially in your job, and you want the customer to follow along with what you're saying. Say each word clearly, and decide which sentences you want to PUNCH by saying slowly, or which sentences you want to de-emphasize or joke about by saying quickly. But after almost every other sentence, you want to pause for the briefest of moments, close your mouth, and get a reaction. This makes it sound less like an infomercial, and more like a tennis match. They feel like you won't continue until they give their opinion, but they got nothing, so they'll nod, or blink, or change their facial expression. Once you get the tiniest of reactions, you can continue. If they look confused, repeat exactly what you said before, and don't lose them. You want to be in control of how they feel about your product.

Psychologically, you want to be fresh and ready to go every house you visit. You should enjoy your job as much as possible, and genuinely want people to get a good deal on home appliances. People are dumb, but even dumb people are perceptive, and they, like animals, can pick up on subconscious nonverbal cues that say you want to deceive them. Be extremely confident internally, but remember to relate and "walk with them" so they feel comfortable. Stay hydrated and pick up some powerbars to munch on. I like the ones with a lot of protein, because I expend a lot of energy by standing and shouting at people, and carbs give you gas. Avoid anything with the tagline "lots of b-vitamins!" like 5-hour energy, because that shit's a joke.

I'm sure this part was covered in your training, but it's best if they sit down in their favorite couch. Being in contact with, or holding, a soft or warm object makes people more willing to buy.

Nothing else is coming to mind at the moment, but if you like what you're hearing, let me know and I'll elaborate.

I think that they do lose our time! the door-to-door saleman!