Thread: Furry MMORPG

Lightbulb Furry MMORPG

I had come up with this for some reason while at school today. It started out as an AB/TB/DL MMORPG, but I thought that wouldn't work. I then turned to other games and saw that a fursona would fit perfectly as your profile and character. I would need help with programming (thinking of using JAVA(Not that good at java, most I can do is a simple text adventure)), graphic design (I suck at drawing), 3d Modeling and animation(never tried that), Beta testing (I'm only 1 person, I would be bound to miss mistakes or bugs), sound design(again, never tried that), and just people who can be administrators of the game. If anyone has questions please ask. Also, I need a name. I would compare this game to runescape's graphics and MMORPG-ness, Roblox's customizability of your character, Yoville's pad customization, and stickrpg's gameplay style.

Sounds ambitious but a good idea. Don't think i'd be much help though, other than to say good luck.

If it every gets up to Alpha/Beta testing, I'll be more then happy to help.
    Done it for a few games myself.

Other then that, good luck to ya mate :'3

Second life... that is all. I mean, I hate it, but obviously everyone else in the fucking furry world uses it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeru117 View Post
    Second life... that is all. I mean, I hate it, but obviously everyone else in the fucking furry world uses it.
    You and me both =/
    Never got around the way it feels, ya know?
    Too overly-complicated.

I still need programmers and grphic artists. Shinx, you are signed up as alpha/beta tester. You will recieve becuase of that, the premium membership for life, free. Second life is shit if you ask me. It is a complete mess. Runescape has way better graphics.

Don't use Java. Since you aren't using sprites and you want full 3D animation/models, you will be using an actual game engine. Learn C++.

JATO - based on your original post, it sounds like you basically want a development studio to build this for you. You have stated in the opening that you don't know how to program, you don't know how to design, you don't know how to market, and you don't know how to develop - you just want a furry MMORPG.

What (essentially) are you, other than someone who wishes there were a furry MMORPG? Do you have storyboards, mockups, even so much as an outline of how the game works (other than "kinda like Runescape, Roblix, Yoville, and stickrpg")?

Trust me (I went through this a couple years ago, and my idea was far more well-developed than yours is right now) when I tell you that you need to sit down and think out every component of this game concept. If you are, essentially, nothing more than the idea man, you'd better have every detail of that idea fleshed out in your head (and on paper) before you try to reach out and get people to help you build it. Otherwise, people are going to pretty much laugh at you.

You'd also better be prepared to shell out some cash (even if it's piece by piece to Indian farm-houses) to have the programming get done, because you won't find anyone willing to invest the thousands of hours developing an MMORPG in exchange for a promise of riches once it launches, never mind a lifetime free membership to the site (what you seem to be offering here). Again, this is experience talking. I learned this the hard way. Freelance programmers get asked every single day to take on projects with no guarantee of compensation until the project actually takes off and flies. They're jaded to it. They don't even pay attention to it anymore. Most just suggest exactly what I did, which is break the project up into small pieces and farm out the individual pieces to Chinese and/or Indian programming sweatshops, because you'll get off much cheaper that way, especially if you can bring that big pile of pieces back and hire one guy to be a true admin and put all the pieces together to make the site work.

Quote Originally Posted by WBDaddy View Post
    JATO - based on your original post, it sounds like you basically want a development studio to build this for you. You have stated in the opening that you don't know how to program, you don't know how to design, you don't know how to market, and you don't know how to develop - you just want a furry MMORPG.

What (essentially) are you, other than someone who wishes there were a furry MMORPG? Do you have storyboards, mockups, even so much as an outline of how the game works (other than "kinda like Runescape, Roblix, Yoville, and stickrpg")?

Trust me (I went through this a couple years ago, and my idea was far more well-developed than yours is right now) when I tell you that you need to sit down and think out every component of this game concept. If you are, essentially, nothing more than the idea man, you'd better have every detail of that idea fleshed out in your head (and on paper) before you try to reach out and get people to help you build it. Otherwise, people are going to pretty much laugh at you.

You'd also better be prepared to shell out some cash (even if it's piece by piece to Indian farm-houses) to have the programming get done, because you won't find anyone willing to invest the thousands of hours developing an MMORPG in exchange for a promise of riches once it launches, never mind a lifetime free membership to the site (what you seem to be offering here). Again, this is experience talking. I learned this the hard way. Freelance programmers get asked every single day to take on projects with no guarantee of compensation until the project actually takes off and flies. They're jaded to it. They don't even pay attention to it anymore. Most just suggest exactly what I did, which is break the project up into small pieces and farm out the individual pieces to Chinese and/or Indian programming sweatshops, because you'll get off much cheaper that way, especially if you can bring that big pile of pieces back and hire one guy to be a true admin and put all the pieces together to make the site work.
    Well, I am currently in the planning and design phase. I have some friends willing to put some time in, and FYI I can program, just not so well in JAVA. I just need one or two more people to help me out as an intern/volunteer. Also, most games like this are chinese copies of each other and just have one or two more features added. It is those features that make people fly from one game to the next. I have seen the same person on Roblox, Runescape, Minecraft, and other MMORPG's, but they only play the most recent because it is just new. I have some advantage with that. This would be a public game, but would exclude most of the "darker" sides of being a furry.

I would love to see this take off and fly, but that might not happen for all I know.