Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What now?

Default What now?

Hi Everyone,

So here's my problem a package of Abena Abri form x plus arrived today (ordered from B4NS). I missed the delivery and go to the post office and try to claim it but couldn't. The attendant said I needed photo id and needed to be 19 years old. Is it true do I need to be 19?

Thanks
    Roadkill

I see you're in Canada, so I can't answer your question directly. For our U.S. readers, I've never heard of an age requirement, but they do require photo ID.

I honestly can't understand why you'd have to be 19. That's essentially saying that you have to legally be 19 to receive mail. Have you tried going back at a different time? Perhaps a different clerk will be more willing to help you out.

With Canada post, I've been asked for ID, but I think that's just to verify that I am who I say I am, and has nothing to do with age.... If your name is on the package, your age should not matter, but usually, if you miss a delivery, they put a card in your mailbox and tell you where you can pick it up. If you can present the missed delivery card to the post office, you should get your package... If you don't have photo ID, which you should, because I see you are 16, bring in a piece of mail with your name and address, and something like a SIN card, credit card, pretty much anything with your name and address printed on it, they should give you your package. If they still won't, ask to speak to the manager of said post office, what you say they told you doesn't sound right at all to me...... Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Roadkill View Post
    So here's my problem a package of Abena Abri form x plus arrived today (ordered from B4NS). I missed the delivery and go to the post office and try to claim it but couldn't. The attendant said I needed photo id and needed to be 19 years old. Is it true do I need to be 19?
    I'm also in the USA so not sure what's different for you, but here some of the shipping companies are more like franchises, they're not OWNED by the parent company exactly. So they can make their own rules to some degree. Airborne Express is that way here.

If they're tossing a strange rule at you, get out the phonebook and call them. If its anything like ANY of the companies here, you WON'T be calling the local depot, you'll get the head office somewhere far away. Talk with them and find out what the rules are. I'm betting there's not an age limit. There's no purpose to an age limit. If they agree there's no age limit, have them contact your local depot and "educate" them.

Another reason to get some kind of driver's license as early as possible.

And it appears you may indeed have a bit of fuss ahead... seems the PO is fussier now about ID than before. From the list mentioned in the link there are only a couple I figure an average 16 yo is likely to have:

Bank statement
    A report card or transcript from a school, college or university
    http://www.spendonlife.ca/blog/canad...about-id-theft
    Last edited by Raccoon; 11-Feb-2011 at 04:53.

My best suggestion would be to try to convince them it's yours some other way. Tell them you can give them all the info that's on the package without seeing it. Things like the destination address, your name, confirmation number, phone nuber, stuff like that. Just have it written down or know it beforehand. They were supposed to ask for my ID at fedex before, but the guy didn't. Although Fedex isn't a government institution so they aren't as strict.
    Good Luck!

In Canada, the legal age varies from 18 to 19, depending what province you live in. In this case, in British Columbia, 19 is legal age. I guess Canada Post have the policy that only adults can claim the packages.... I don't know that you have to be at the legal age to claim the package in mail though.

Did you receive a door hanger/slip from Canada Post indicating that your package has arrived? On the slip, there should be a checkbox that says "Verify ID" or something like that. If the box is checked, then they need to check your ID. If not, they shouldn't have to.

I think it's the sender that decides whether the receiver should be ID'd or not. I've only been ID'd once, and that was because I received some official documents. In any case, you shouldn't have to be 19. Think about 18 year olds that can legally move out of the house. How would they get their mail?

Quote Originally Posted by Roadkill View Post
    thanks for the help! Got the order
    Glad to hear it! How did you manage it? Closure is a good thing for your readers