Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Over 30

Default Over 30

I don't know if I'm being overly sensitive, or if I'm misunderstanding a few scattered posts, but I need to know something. Does anyone else get the feeling that people over the age of 30 are less welcome here? I've been reading a lot of threads, including closed ones, and I've sen enough comments about older people, that I'm starting to feel a little uncomfortable. I really hope I'm misunderstanding, or that by random chance I've seen a batch that isn't representative of the community.
    I'd like comments, info, anything. Thanks
    k

I'm sorry. This happens to be the same universe as Logan's Run. You have your warning...

As for if they're treated differently, yes and no. I think that members that are older have a harder time fitting in when they first join (for obvious reasons), but I think that they fit right in after a while. Dogboy is the oldest member I can think of off the top of my head (no offense, Dogboy >_>), and he's probably one of the cooler members, in my opinion. It's his age and life experiences that are interesting. On the other hand, most people over thirty seem to be the kind of people who are looking for a fetish site and will post things that are inappropriate for people under 18 that don't fit with the site's mores. They usually get treated pretty harshly, though I'd say that's their own fault for not looking around and seeing the lay of the land, first. The over-thirties that are here just to chat and meet interesting people I think are met with a bit more skepticism than the teenage/college/university crowd, but, for me personally, that's due to the other group of over-thirties that act creepy and ruin things for everyone else, which makes me extra cautious.

Are there any examples that you are thinking about, in particular?

Yes, unfortunately it is a little like that here, and many other sites. It's hard to really get rid of these attitudes, as many stereotypes go around this site from teens and young adults about older adults, I'm just 19, so I'm in the age that usually will stereotype about older people, but I don't, i know many nice people over 30 here, with great personalities, and i can see it in them that they are good people. I won't mention names, as that will just be embarrrasing or something for their part, i suppose.

The general concensus is:
    Older AB/DLs are creepy.
    Younger AB/DLs and TB/DLs are pure and innocent.

Though this really true at all, yes there are a few people over 30 that are downright creepy out there, but as i said there are many who are perfectly normal too.
    On the other hand I have seen some quite messed up individuals from the age of 13 to 19 too from the TB and AB spectrum too. So it's a two sided coin really.

The most important bit is that you don't let this get at you too much, I have heard stories told by other ABDLs on just how hurtful this can be sometimes, so i have a fair understanding of the sort of discrimination you go through, so to speak.
    Just be vary about how you act, and you should be ok and eventually blend in with the ADISC crowd too.

I guess it just hit one of my "am I really a freak after all?" buttons. I'm starting to think I won't fit in anywhere. *shrug*
    Last edited by Kalis; 10-Feb-2011 at 21:57.

A lot of younger folks join sites like ADISC as a part of their grand realization that they're ABDLs and that there are others out there like them. That's one reason why there are so many of us. I think for the older folks (though what counts as "older" is a rather tenuous distinction), they're more or less settled with their identity, and so being involved in an online community is perhaps not as pressing a need as it might be for a teenager.

Occasionally, there is a bit of ageism that flares up, but my impression is that a minority of forum members are ageist against older people. By and large, I think most ADISC regulars make no fuss about the 25+ crowd. I, for one, am rather appreciative of the life experience and input they share.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    I don't know if I'm being overly sensitive, or if I'm misunderstanding a few scattered posts, but I need to know something. Does anyone else get the feeling that people over the age of 30 are less welcome here? I've been reading a lot of threads, including closed ones, and I've sen enough comments about older people, that I'm starting to feel a little uncomfortable. I really hope I'm misunderstanding, or that by random chance I've seen a batch that isn't representative of the community.
    I'd like comments, info, anything. Thanks
    k
    Yes. The site has, over the past few months, begun to tip and gain speed to the side of being run for, by, and with the 13-21 crowd.

The advice of over-30s to those under is unwelcome, as well, and many threads seem to conflate opinion with attack, assistance with inquisition, and hard-won experience with "you just don't understaaaaaaand!" There are a lot of waaaaambulance victims here.

But there are also a few folks who can be told something dead-accurate yet hard to hear, be pissy for a day or so, then come back and have a re-think. And this used to make it worth it, but the prevailing Culture of Me is making this increasingly rare.

I'm not certain if it's worth shoving horse-heads into water any longer.

But, yes, your observations mirror the very strong impression I have of the site, especially as of late.

I am over 30... and it doesn't bother me. I read through some of the younger stuff but not all of it.

If I think the post is great I respond. If I don't like it, I don't respond.

There are people of all ages on this forum and I have felt welcomed by most everyone except one person in chat. I don't know who that was now but I haven't been back since. But you have to kind of wage your wars... if something is upsetting you, get away from it. But there are plenty more that will help you than hurt you.

I remember when I was young and thought 23 was old... boy if I could only go back to that age... although, I don't miss the drama!

I'm 40 here, and I don't feel I've been shunned by anyone in this community. But, at the same time, I have been told that I don't necessarily act like I'm 40. My kids have to fight for time to play on the Xbox 360, I listen to heavy metal (and still go to rock concerts like A7X, Disturbed, etc.). I think anything that comes out regarding older people on this forum being un-welcome is when they come in searching for fap material, but that happens in a lot of age groups.

The people I see that are older here tend to be non-judgmental, helpful, kind, and seriously interested in the support aspect of this site. They don't tend to throw their age around demanding respect, instead they earn it through being active, responsible members of the community.

Mostly it's because I was reading and came across several places where someone said basically "I'm not an over 30 creepo looking for fap material". It left me feeling like the prevailing opinion was that if you're over 30, then you must be creepy. I don't think I'm creepy, but I also don't feel over 30 most days. I know I don't act it, except at work.
    BTW who or what is a Deeker, and why is he/it hated? I've been too cautious to Google it.

Loopygone

Deeker was an abdl site that came very close to being pedophilic, and just generally showed the whole community in a very bad light.

I think the thing with the perceived creepiness of older people is down to the fact that most abdls get to a certain age, get married, and basically move on from the online scene, leaving a lot more creepers in that age group. Personally when I was younger and just finding out about this, I didn't want to interact with sites like DPF and stuff, since it seemed to be filled with older men, only in it for the sexual stuff. And lets face it, the thought of a 50 yr old fapping in a diaper isn't the nicest of thoughts.

I think this is changing, slowly. As more and more people become internet savvy, and people who've had access to the internet for a good part of their life grow older, the tendency for there to be more "normal" older people will become more prevalent. It is up to the teens and the younger people to become more accepting, and realise they will get older as well. I hate the distinction that some people seem to have, that TB's are all innocent and pure, whilst AB's are some how more creepier and freaks.