Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good cheap portable Lunches?

Default Good cheap portable Lunches?

Got many classes and I want to save some money.... My ideas are soups and sandwiches but.... well one gets tired of that type of stuff rather quickly... so I'm looking for more recipes.... I'm looking for things that I can keep in the fridge/freeze. So that I can make the night before and then grab it in the morning. (I often wake up late) So any ideas would be awesome.

Buy a thermos and put pasta in it! Wheehoo.

Pretty much anything can get taken around with you if you have a thermos and tupperware.

Salads can be portable. There are some of them "Soups to go". If you have a microwave or some way to make hot water, you can always do Ramen. Get a thermos or a cooler and your options tend to open up.

Yeah I have a microwave.... BTW By good I mean Good for you.... XD I'm trying to cut down on bad food so Ramen is out (lots of sodium)

The Salad suggestion is good. Not sure how produce prices are there, but usually salad for a person of one is maybe a couple bucks at most? Fruits could be good as well.

Alright so far I have
    Salads
    Sandwiches& Wraps (many options)
    Soup's
    Pasta's

.... Any other ideas?

bruschetta is pretty good and usually doesn't cost too much.

Just found this list by MNSU that might have some good ideas. I forgot another one (the list reminded me of), chicken wraps are always good, granted they are usually like a sandwich just without bread :P.

Quote Originally Posted by dragsnick View Post
    Got many classes and I want to save some money.... My ideas are soups and sandwiches but.... well one gets tired of that type of stuff rather quickly... so I'm looking for more recipes.... I'm looking for things that I can keep in the fridge/freeze. So that I can make the night before and then grab it in the morning. (I often wake up late) So any ideas would be awesome.
    Come on, man, you're on the island. You know this one!

Plantains and rice. Throw something salty and meaty (bacon?) in there for a savory dish, something sweet for more of a dessert dish (currants? raisins?). I know that this dish has a name, and I don't think it translates to "plantains and rice" directly.

Or, as Christmas has just passed ... coquito. *drool* Not exactly "good" for you, but SO good.

Plantains, rice, beans, some pork to suit, and a couple wraps ... and you've a rather nice meal. Crap. Now I want to buy these things.

Pita bread is yummy and healthy.

Salads are really easy to make, or pasta, or pasta salad.

Take some fruit or dried fruit with you as well for snacks!

Baked apples are yummy as, and can be stewed the night before and then just heated up. Stuff them with currants or raisins to be especially healthy.

Stuffed peppers are always good, or home-made mushroom pate. You could also try crackers and cheese one day.
    cocktails sausages can be made the night before and eaten either hot or cold, as can stir-fry type dishes.

If you want some other snacks then carrot and celery sticks with some mini-dips are awesome.

All this can be made in huge quantities and put into individual portions and frozen, and then taken out the night before and will be fine by lunchtime, with the exception of pate and sausages.

Since my rice cooker sucks at making only 1 portion of rice, what I like to do occasionally is make 2-3 servings, and cook up some chicken breasts or pork. If you get the rice and the meat into the refrigerator while they are still hot, they are fine reheated the next day. Combine that with a small salad (easy on the dressing) and you've got a balanced, low fat meal.