Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Breaking social norms, anyone?

Default Breaking social norms, anyone?

I have this psychology assignment coming up soon, involving me breaking a social norm in public

Unfortunately, I'm stumped D: Would anyone help me come up with ideas? I live in a rather rural area in the US*

Rules for the Project:
    No Breaking Laws (this includes public indecency, etc)
    No Simply talking very close to people's faces. That's been done by too many people.
    No turning in a blank report/observation sheet.

*Mentioned for a reference as to the "norms" that might be observed.

Do nice things for people one day, all day. Regardless if they ask or not.

do something with your clothes? maybe wear your coat under your sweater and take of the sweater when you get to class.
    maybe spend a day with your clothes inside out or back to front?
    OR
    Talk like Yoda you could, piss people off it would.

EmLamby

Wear something very old-fashioned and formal wherever you go. :3

Hold hands with another guy in public and swing your arms back and forth playfully and observe people's reactions. Rural area sounds like a great place to try this.

You could try wearing your clothes backwards, if you want something more mundane. You could also try speaking with an accent. Dance instead of walk. Make every third step on the same foot as the second step, so it would be like left, right, right, left, right, right. If it were warmer I'd say wear a coat all day. Walk backwards while holding a mirror to see where you're going. Only turn to the left. If you need to turn right, make a a 3/4 circle to the left. Trust me, it's weirder than it sounds (very hard to pull off, too). Borrow a wheelchair and get pushed around, but stand up and carry the chair whenever you reach stairs.

There are many, MANY things you can do.

Wear an awesome and kinda scary Halloween costume and go out for a day, acting totally nonchalant.
    That'll be fun to watch :3

I was watching an episode of Seinfeld once where Elaine's boss ate a Snicker's bar with a fork and knife. He cut it up into pieces and everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Dann View Post
    I have this psychology assignment coming up soon, involving me breaking a social norm in public

Unfortunately, I'm stumped D: Would anyone help me come up with ideas? I live in a rather rural area in the US*

Rules for the Project:
    No Breaking Laws (this includes public indecency, etc)
    No Simply talking very close to people's faces. That's been done by too many people.
    No turning in a blank report/observation sheet.

*Mentioned for a reference as to the "norms" that might be observed.
    Best one ever: when someone asks, "how are you?" stop and think. Treat them to a considered discussion of how you are.

I do this, but my reasons are far simpler: I don't see it as a social token but as an inquiry. I'll sometimes get sucked into it but then back away:

--"How are you?"
    "Fine. ... ... No. I'm sorry, I've just lied to you. I'm actually exhausted. Hopefully I can fix my sleeping schedule. I'm sure you don't want to know the mechanics of this, but I suppose, rather than 'fine,' I'm tired."

---------- Post added at 11:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:42 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Shinx View Post
    Wear an awesome and kinda scary Halloween costume and go out for a day, acting totally nonchalant.
    Wearing a mask in public is illegal in many places. As for the costume ... it's an idea, but it's overt rather than a small, covert touch. It lacks subtlety. ; )

Quote Originally Posted by Shinx View Post
    Best to do that in a bank I think.

Or, yell "Nobody move! I dropped my contact." in the bank.