Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Makeshift Bottle

Default Makeshift Bottle

**The title is supposed to be "Makeshift Bottle" not makshift.**

I've seen plenty of threads about makeshift diapers, but not any about makeshift bottles.

I've managed to rig myself a bottle.

I posted before about how the old baby bottles got thrown out before I could sneak them away. (I would NOT have taken them if they were still being used. I knew they were going to be thrown in the trash, which I thought was a waste.)

The new nipple I was planning to use was still in the back of the drawer in the kitchen, though, so I smuggled it out. It wouldn't have been used for any actual babies, just for the record. It had been in there for a couple of years and I don't think it would be used since the last bottle drinking baby was just weaned off of them this summer.

Anyway, onto the makeshift bottle. I've got one of these Rubbermaid "Hip Sips" bottles. I got thinking about how the old baby bottles had nipples that just stretched over the top of the bottle without the ring to secure it. I started wondering if the nipple would work that way if I stretched it over the nozzle on the Hip Sip bottle. The nozzle is pretty big on them, I measured it just now and it's about an inch in diameter.

So I got the nipple, washed it and tried it. It actually works very well with no leaks. It looks a little odd, and it's slow, but it's so fun to actually have a 'bottle' that I don't mind.

I think it's slow because the nipple has tiny holes. I'm not sure what size it is since it's been in the drawer for a while. I'm not sure how to stretch them out without damaging the nipple. I tried running a needle back and forth through the holes, but they just stretched and shrank back.

When I get the chance, I'm going to get some silicone nipples...this one is latex and it tastes a little funny to me, even though I've washed it thoroughly.

I thought I would share so that if anyone who needs to hide their *Bness could try doing this. It's much easier to hide a nipple than an entire baby bottle.
    Last edited by CuddleWoozle; 07-Feb-2011 at 15:59. Reason: Misspelled Title. Oops!

They make nipples in lots of various flow rates based on the target age of the baby. It is certainly possible to increase the flow rate but I would get the needle really hot first, maybe over a flame. I'm not a big bottle user but we have a really nice set of real glass ones that we used with our kids. I'm never going to throw those away.

If you manage to obtain a new silicone nipple and collar, you might be able to find a normal beverage bottle that is threaded the same. If so, that would be a great solution because all you would have to hide is the nipple and collar which should be easy. You should look at various sports drinks/teas/etc because I believe the openings on those are pretty close to the size of a baby bottle opening. There are also several standard sizes of bottle collars if you are having trouble finding a bottle to fit.

I'm going to have to give that a try later on. I think I might have a bottle that would work for that kind of thing already. It's one of those aluminum water bottles.

I think the nipple I found is a slow flowing one. Everything I've read screams not to tamper with the holes, but I'm pretty sure that's for babies because they can't yell out "Hey mom! That's too much milk!" I did read two alternate methods, one was to heat a needle and wiggle it around the hole and the other was to use a small pair of scissors to widen the holes.

I'll have to get a fast flow and see how it is. This one is making my jaw hurt from trying to get the liquid out.

I know this will sound radical, but I used a corkscrew to enlarge the hole on mine. On another, I simply used a wood screw. It accomplished the same thing. I can't imagine how a baby gets anything out of those tiny holes. I was surprised the first time I got a baby bottle and used it. It really regressed me more than I could imagine. It's very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    I know this will sound radical, but I used a corkscrew to enlarge the hole on mine. On another, I simply used a wood screw. It accomplished the same thing. I can't imagine how a baby gets anything out of those tiny holes. I was surprised the first time I got a baby bottle and used it. It really regressed me more than I could imagine. It's very nice.
    I don't have a corkscrew handy. I'm going to try the tiny scissors I have for sewing. They should do the job if I'm careful.

I was pretty surprised. I mean I read that there's supposed to be a steady drip and this would drip a few times and stop. I think it might be because I'm trying to pull it from the bottle through the original spout and the tiny holes in the nipple.

It is very nice, though. I had a lot of fun cuddled up with my BearBear and blanket watching My Little Pony yesterday.

Isn't it easy to buy baby bottles though? I mean you can get really cheap ones so it's not really something conspicuous...

Quote Originally Posted by Rissy View Post
    Isn't it easy to buy baby bottles though? I mean you can get really cheap ones so it's not really something conspicuous...
    For that I need money, and I have none to spare at the moment. It's why I still don't have a pacifier even though I really really want one. All of this stuff is on my list of "Things to get when I have the money".

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    If you've ever seen a newborn infant drink out of a bottle it's funny. Those tiny holes can actually run TOO FAST for them and they end up gulping on it.

CuddleWoozle, I sincerely hope some money magically comes your way and you can experience the joy of pacifiers and bottles.

Quote Originally Posted by happydl View Post
    If you've ever seen a newborn infant drink out of a bottle it's funny. Those tiny holes can actually run TOO FAST for them and they end up gulping on it.

CuddleWoozle, I sincerely hope some money magically comes your way and you can experience the joy of pacifiers and bottles.
    Wow. I figured it would be right since the little guys and gals have tiny mouths, but I didn't think it would be too fast!

I've been working on getting a really good job, actually. I'm pretty much just waiting for them to give me a call with the date I should report to work. (I don't want to go into too much detail on here about it, but I've been unemployed since last May. It sucks muchly!)

Real baby bottles actually have air vents to relieve the back pressure. Lack of these vents would significantly hinder flow.