Thread: Reality TV and the exploitive nature of it...

Default Reality TV and the exploitive nature of it...

This is a thought that has been on my mind for some time. I was channel-surfing and caught some of Toddlers & Tiaras and what I saw made me want to puke, the same way seeing Jon & Kate, 18 Kids & Counting, et al; make me want to puke.

WHY do people exploit their kids? Case in point, that stupid Balloon-Boy incident and where he said on CNN, 'We did it for the show'. That makes me so sick and right now after seeing some of Toddlers & Tiaras, I want to throw up.

I EVER have a family or a kid, I will NOT allow us to be on reality TV. Reality TV is turely the lowest form of entertainment there is. Sorry, but what I just saw- made me want to throw up.

WildThing121675

I wonder why we went from the golden age of seinfield to the likes of American Idol.

Quote Originally Posted by boch121 View Post
    I wonder why we went from the golden age of seinfield to the likes of American Idol.
    Seinfeld and Friends were both over rated IMHO.. just as Forest Gump was/is.

Anyway's, reality TV scseeds since people want to see other's destory themselves. Which is why we LOVE Lindsey Lohan, Charlie Sheen, paris hilton, etc.

This song kind of sums it all up I think.

(Can't wait till Papa Roach fucks up. it's going to be epic.)

I'd have to concur that the likely motivation is more or less shock value. I don't know if I want to blame The Osbournes or not (I'm sure Ozzy would) but as Fire2box said, people seem to relish other people's insanity. Having said that, the reason the networks like it so much is because it's a lot less expensive to pay someone like Snookie than it is to pay a professional actress or actor. Ditto for the production of an actual TV show. Why pay $1.5 million for a pilot episode when they can pay a third of that? They get a bigger margin of profit from advertising. The ironic thing is that there are people who really think all of that is reality when I'm sure hours of footage was edited down to a 22 minute episode to "weave' some kind of ridiculous storyline.

I think it's lowest-common-denominator type stuff. I find it grotesque how some people are willing to humiliate themselves and their families just to be on TV.

Quote Originally Posted by WildThing121675 View Post
    This is a thought that has been on my mind for some time. I was channel-surfing and caught some of Toddlers & Tiaras and what I saw made me want to puke, the same way seeing Jon & Kate, 18 Kids & Counting, et al; make me want to puke.

WHY do people exploit their kids? Case in point, that stupid Balloon-Boy incident and where he said on CNN, 'We did it for the show'. That makes me so sick and right now after seeing some of Toddlers & Tiaras, I want to throw up.

I EVER have a family or a kid, I will NOT allow us to be on reality TV. Reality TV is turely the lowest form of entertainment there is. Sorry, but what I just saw- made me want to throw up.

WildThing121675
    It is because our society chooses now to reward these behaviors.

Oh, and people are stupid asshats.

Very true, very true on all counts. I would not watch Jersey Shore or the like unless someone I know was watching those shows and I for one won't at home. My TV is usually tuned to CNN, Fox Soccer Channel, Fox Soccer Plus, MLB Network, ESPN, and countless old TV reruns.

I could care less about Charlie Sheen and all that crap because it's just part of the fishbowl society we live in now.

WildThing121675

Actually, I like Toddlers and Tiaras. Made me discover some new clothes to buy (which I did) The other reality shows are just stupid. Undercover Boss is good!

Quote Originally Posted by Wzrd View Post
    Undercover Boss is good!
    Some of the episodes are good.. like Great Wolf Lodge/waterparks, 7/11, White Castle.

You know... companies that you've HEARD of who's products suck sometimes. Great Wolf Lodge isn't bad.. other then you have to be a hotel guest to get into the water park. Which I can understand. Crazy expensive though and honestly targeted at families.