Thread: Greetings

Default Greetings

So, I guess I'm new here. Or, well, I've been a member for a while, but I never actually posted anything. So I'm new-ish.

Anyway, I used to be a bedwetter, and eventually wearing diapers at night sort of led to me liking them (I guess as something like a coping mechanism), and so here I am, mainly a DL, but with a few AB tendencies.

Other than that I enjoy video games- computer mainly, since I don't have any new systems- fantasy books, politics, and D&D. I've played 4e and 3.5 of D&D, and I've also dabbled a bit in Mutants and Masterminds. I also read some manga, and watch some anime, but not much.

I'm a college student in Arkansas. I'm majoring in Political Science, and I'm considering adding a minor or another major in Sociology.

If you have any questions, or just want to talk about something, feel free to say hi.

Welcome to ADISC! If you've been passive for a year, what induced you to finally post, if I may ask?

Any particular games you're into? Any sporting or outdoor interests?

Welcome Battlemage! What books do you like? I love to read.

Nothing specifically moved me to start posting, I've just found more active online in general lately, from other diaper-related sites to gaming sites to reading the news, so it was more a case of finding this site again.

I particularly fond of the Elder Scrolls series of RPGs of computer games, the Total War and Civilization series of strategy games, and I've recently started in on Dragon Age: Origins, but I'll give almost anything a try as long as it is strategy or fantasy.

Fantasy, mainly. Jim Butcher, Terry Goodkind, Robert Jordan, and Feist are some of my favorite authors.

Outdoor stuff? Nope, not really. I'm very much an indoor person. The closest I come to liking sports is enjoying watching Olympic fencing.

Cool, I have Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind. I like strategy as well but I prefer the Heroes of Might and Magic series to Civilization.

Welcome! Have you had the opportunity to try anything under the Savage Worlds system yet? It's a great universal system that truly does live up to its tagline of "Fast, Furious, and Fun." Deadlands runs under that system (which is a supernatural western type setting), and one can run superheroes, fantasy, whatever. One of my friends is actually under contract and is writing source material for Interface Zero, which is a cyberpunk game under Savage Worlds.

Between D&D 3.5 and D&D 4, which do you prefer?

Anyway, welcome! Between politics, fantasy stuff, and gaming, I suspect we'll get on just fine!

Heroes of Might and Magic is a pretty good series, but in my opinion none of the matches last long enough. That's why I prefer Civilization- a single game will last for a week. But Morrowind is an excellent game. I prefer its storyline to Oblivion's any day. I do have big hopes for Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim that's supposed to be coming out soon.

I haven't had a chance to look into Savage Worlds yet. I don't have any friends in my area who are big into tabletop gaming, so most of my experience comes from 2009-2010 when I was in Kansas City, which primarily involved D&D4e and a system one of my friends there is helping to create, Fire-Breathing Tribbles (FBT).

To be honest, I haven't played enough 3.5 to be able to make an honest opinion on that. Most of the 3.5 I played involved myself and a friend each running two characters and bullying his little brother (who at the time was around 10-13) into being our DM. So that didn't go so well.

But from what I've seen 4e made an effort to simplify the rules (especially the skills. 3.5 had a terrible skill set), to keep mages from being completely pointless in prolonged fights (which I, preferring arcane classes, quite approved of), and allow for a bit more customization within a single class. In some cases they did oversimplify, but in general I think making things more easily-accessible to a wider audience is a good thing.

And I dislike the argument that some 3.5ers put out that you can't roleplay in 4e. That is, in my opinion, absolute bunk. You can roleplay any character you can get your hands on, if you're not too busy cussing at Wizards for ruining the game.

Welcome to ADISC. Hope you are going to have a great time her whit us.

The 3.5 defenders I've encountered seem to be defending something just for the sake of defending it because they fear change. Personally, I find 3 and 3.5 to be completely unplayable broken shit systems, especially 3.0. Spellcasters kinda shot their wads and then were pretty hosed for the rest of the battle, psionics was completely ridiculous and broken, as were a couple multiclass combinations involving barbarians, and the skill system meant a lot of wasted skill points on stuff you'd never use.

My advice-leave 3.5 in the past and let it die. It's a bad system that deserves it. D&D 4 has, IMO, more opportunity for actual RP than the previous systems because you're not getting bogged down in rules nearly as badly. Besides, good role-players can RP in any system. Bad players cry that the system is preventing them from RPing instead of coming up with a creative character story arc (or cuss at Wizards for ruining their game ). Most of tabletop is describing your action. The system is mostly a determinant of whether you can make your character do the thing and whether the experience of making that happen is enjoyable.