Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rift a better alternative to WoW?

Question Rift a better alternative to WoW?

So i was thinking about going back and play WoW but i been hearing a lot that the newest expansion is not the best. So i look around for something else and founded "Rift" Anyone have any idea if this will be a good game. When it comes out in March?

RIFT

It sounds inspired by Rifts. I knew a couple of guys who played it at university, and it seemed like an interesting way of blending just about every fictional genre into one. How they'll have translated this into an MMORPG, I have no idea. I'll stick with EVE, personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Akastus View Post
    I'll stick with EVE, personally.
    I tried EVE, but that game has a huge learning curve. It told me i fly to this guy to get a mission but some how i end furter away from where i had to go. I just could not get fully in to it.

EVE isn't user-friendly, I'll concede. And it's a very harsh place. But that just adds to its charm.

Rift is going to be the same old same old compared to other fantasy MMO's. But frankly it's going to be lacking content, and odds are people will be hitting max lvl within a week, and then the pvp harassing starts. Not to mention from day one everyone will get spammed my Chinese gold farmers/power levelers. Sure it looks pretty and might be fun for a little bit, but honestly trying to get into a new MMO is hardly worth the time.

This is my own experience, from playing more then a handful of MMO's at launch. None of them ever live up to your expectations, and they always just feel like more of the same.

If you are looking for new MMO I would suggest waiting for Star Wars: The Old Republic, or TERA to launch. Both of them will offer something different. SW:TOR is Bioware and will have tons and tons of content, Bioware knows they can't mess this up they have too much riding on it. And TERA offers pretty graphics and more of an action based combat, not a target and click. It'll feel more like you are actually fighting your enemy not just locking on and hoping to hit.

That's my

Quote Originally Posted by Amaranth View Post
    Rift is going to be the same old same old compared to other fantasy MMO's. But frankly it's going to be lacking content, and odds are people will be hitting max lvl within a week, and then the pvp harassing starts. Not to mention from day one everyone will get spammed my Chinese gold farmers/power levelers. Sure it looks pretty and might be fun for a little bit, but honestly trying to get into a new MMO is hardly worth the time.

This is my own experience, from playing more then a handful of MMO's at launch. None of them ever live up to your expectations, and they always just feel like more of the same.

If you are looking for new MMO I would suggest waiting for Star Wars: The Old Republic, or TERA to launch. Both of them will offer something different. SW:TOR is Bioware and will have tons and tons of content, Bioware knows they can't mess this up they have too much riding on it. And TERA offers pretty graphics and more of an action based combat, not a target and click. It'll feel more like you are actually fighting your enemy not just locking on and hoping to hit.

That's my
    You will have goldfarmers and people pvp harassing in any mmo can' really blame the game on that.

I know all about the expectations things. Warhammer and APB I bought on release day, they did not do what i hoped.

I looked in to ST:TOR and tera but they don't have a set release date yet with rumors that ST:TOR maybe delayed till September. So that wont help me with this urge to play a MMO right now.

Well for something a bit different then what you might be used to I'd say give my addiction of 5+ years a shot, City of Heroes. For being older then WoW, it's still going strong, comparatively, has a friendly community, and TONS of content. Not to mention it looks better then WoW and doesn't take you forever to get from point A to point B, travel time wise.

Edit: and next to no "gold/pl spam"

For a fantasy-based MMO that's been going strong for a while, there's always Guild Wars (if you don't play already). There's quite a lot to do, and you can filter spam. Solo-play is reasonably well-supported. Best of all though, once you've bought the software, the game has no subscription fee!

OT: Rift looks pretty cool, I haven't researched it too much, but the class system is nice. I might give the free-trial/beta a whirl at some point (when there is one) if I have time.

FFXI is my baby at the moment.

One of the oldest MMORPG's. It's not user-friendly, I'll tell you that. It takes getting used to, and is slow in the beginning. But it has a very friendly player-base.
    The type of play-style is unique, if I say so myself.

I been playing Lord of the Rings online. No Gold spammers and you dont have to pay to play.