Thread: Most ppl just want to be left alone?

Default Most ppl just want to be left alone?

For a while now, something has been telling me that most people, if not pushed to do other things, would be content to simply settle down and live a quiet life while raising their families.

It also seems to me that many/some, if not most people would put their families above even their country and their Gods. If that's true, it seems like it'd point to us simply being a species that wants to have kids, and see our kids have kids. In the end, not much more, not much less than that.

What do y'all think?

Quote Originally Posted by datosprivados View Post
    For a while now, something has been telling me that most people, if not pushed to do other things, would be content to simply settle down and live a quiet life while raising their families.

It also seems to me that many/some, if not most people would put their families above even their country and their Gods. If that's true, it seems like it'd point to us simply being a species that wants to have kids, and see our kids have kids. In the end, not much more, not much less than that.

What do y'all think?
    Isn't that how most animals are? Propagate your race. Seems to be the main point to existence.

yes, i dont care to be be famous or do anything amazing, just make a decent living to support a family, and have enough money to make have a nice car or two.

acorn

What do y'all think?
    Nothing more worthy or as noble than to rally to fife and drum, to lay ones life down in Flanders field then the cause to be forgotten in the sands of time.

The purpose of any organism is the reproduction of it's own kind, biologically. In reality, humans are overpopulated, and headed for a crash. Study a little biology and populations in ecology.

You ask a really interesting question here, and I'm going to disagree with you in two ways.

You live in the USA - OK, Connecticut is not a large state, but if your family propagated and grew (as inevitably it would), it would need to expand its horizons. In your country that would not, I think, be a terribly difficult thing to do incrementally - in small steps, such as you wouldn't notice.

I lived a while on a not very large island off mainland Britain. The point comes on islands where if you want your family to survive, you have to get off the island and go somewhere else - both for reasons of genetics (inbreeding is not a good thing) and resources (there is only so much land or business to go round an increasing population). It's still expanding the horizons, but in a much more radical way.

I'd contest that both these different approaches breed mindsets - so that the incremental approach or the radical approach become part of the culture of the place and the person. It can change - but it takes time for that change to happen.

Second thing: you speak about the priority of family over country or god(s). There was a fascinating example of this in 1940 in France. After the Germans invaded and the existing French government surrendered, a new puppet government led by the elderly Marshal Petain was established. Whereas the traditional slogan of the French state was "Liberte, Egalite, Fraternite" (freedom, equality, brotherhood), Petain repudiated this. To quote from Wikipedia:

When our young people approach adult life, we shall say to them that real liberty cannot be exercised except under the shelter of a guiding authority, which they must respect, which they must obey. We shall then tell them that equality [should] set itself within the framework of a hierarchy, founded on the diversity of office and merits. Finally, we shall tell them that there is no way of having true brotherhood except within those natural groups, the family, the town, the homeland.

Petain adopted the new motto: "Travail, famille, patrie" (work, family, homeland). It is a matter of history that a great many Frenchmen and women did not share his view, and at the end of the war, "Liberte, Egalite, Fraternite" - abstract concepts, all of them - were re-adopted in place of Petain's realities.

I think that history proves Petain wrong, not only because the war ended as it did, but that people are still prepared to make significant changes to their lives for the sake of abstract ideas. But I could easily be wrong...

Hugs

Artie