Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Decisisions, decisions...

Default Decisisions, decisions...

Well, this is what's going on. My sister is taking driving lessons (didn't get her license yet, even though we're the same age) and her classes are 2 hours long, with a fifteen minute break between. My boss, mistakenly, gives me 30 minutes to visit her between classes (I'm within walking distance). I tried to tell him that it's only 15 minutes, but he said that he'd like to keep it an even 30 *shrugs*. Anyhow, I walk near a Dollar General, that would allow me to buy a Visa Gift Card, non-reloadable. What I want it for is to make online purchases, mainly for getting some Abenas, and commissioning a few pieces of art, all over the internet.

One of the problems here, is that my parents didn't want me to get a prepaid card. They know about the Walmart Money Card, that has tons of hidden fees, and is basically a credit card with training wheels, if I can make that metaphor. Though, technically, I'm not going against their wishes as of now, but I can't just say "Hey mom, can we go to dollar general so I can get a prepaid card?" or something like that.

Note: I don't have my license, so this may be the only chance I get for some time. Even after that, my parents will monitor my driving closely, so I may not be very flexible. Right now, it works, because my mom is picking me up from work every day, and she gets there slightly early, and would notice me coming out of another store, and ask what I bought, etc. This problem would be eliminated if I got the card on break.

What should I do? Should I get it now, risking its possible expiration while I'm waiting for an opening to buy diapers?

ValkyrieTheWolf

It wont expire for a few years if you get one.

Expiration is a year after activation for Visa gift cards, you'll be fine there. I would personally get it now, you never know when the opportunity may present itself...

I was thinking of getting it now, so I was mainly looking for someone with a little experience, I guess...

There's only the $5 activation fee.

Not all cards work online.
    The purple Vanilla Visa cards are nice. they can be loaded with anything from $20 to $200 so there is less waste. To use it online, you'd need to register it on the vanillavisa website. You just put in your zip code...

Quote Originally Posted by Me :p View Post
    There's only the $5 activation fee.

Not all cards work online.
    The purple Vanilla Visa cards are nice. they can be loaded with anything from $20 to $200 so there is less waste. To use it online, you'd need to register it on the vanillavisa website. You just put in your zip code...
    I'll take a look at the available cards next time I'm at the store on break.

Quote Originally Posted by Dann View Post
    I'll take a look at the available cards next time I'm at the store on break.
    The Green Dot cards are just as good, (Visa or AmEx) but you have to have yout SSN available when you register it online. If you're under 18, it gets angry, and tells you that you won't be able to refill it. It works perfectly though.

ValkyrieTheWolf

Quote Originally Posted by Dann View Post
    I was thinking of getting it now, so I was mainly looking for someone with a little experience, I guess...
    I bought a case of bambinos using one I got for X-Mas :3

I think its the way to go, personally.

Id get it now as you never know when you might get a chance, and if a year comes too soon you can just go spend it on something random.