Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High Specs or Creativity ( Graphics vs Gameplay)

Question High Specs or Creativity ( Graphics vs Gameplay)

Last year at E3 Nintendo showed off their next-gen handheld, the Nintendo 3DS. 2 days ago Sony officially announced their next-gen handheld, the NGP(next gen portable/PSP2). Both are good looking systems but the NGP has near PS3 graphics.

So my question is: based on creative games vs power, which one would you choose?

It depends on the system.

For the Wii, I'm playing Monster Hunter Tri this very moment. The graphics are alright, they aren't amazing, but it's a Nintendo console. The game has enough content to keep me going, while remaining fun in the long run.

On the PS3, I tried my hand at Just Cause 2 a few months back. Due to not having an HDMI cable at the time, (I do now,) and the game looked terrible. I couldn't go on, nor could I enjoy it. I handed it back to Family Video, the rental place whom I rented from, and found another game.

All-in-all, it depends on the system the game exists on, the developers who create the game, and the publishers who.. publish the game.

Of course, games can be creative and good looking. Example: PS3 exclusive, Demon's Souls.

I have always been a gameplay gamer from the start, storylines get me hooked on certain games (Kingdom Hearts, for example) and graphics have never bugged me.
    I always categorized game systems into 3 separate types.
    If you want fun, kid-friendly games or awesome platformers, get a Wii.
    If you want intense, graphically amazing games and gameplay, get a PS3.
    If you want extreme multiplayer action and impressive graphics, get an Xbox 360.

(I'm probably not accurate at all, but that's just my opinion. Wii = Fun, PS3 = Graphics, Xbox 360 = Multiplayer)

Quote Originally Posted by Roxas View Post
    I have always been a gameplay gamer from the start, storylines get me hooked on certain games (Kingdom Hearts, for example) and graphics have never bugged me.
    I always categorized game systems into 3 separate types.
    If you want fun, kid-friendly games or awesome platformers, get a Wii.
    If you want intense, graphically amazing games and gameplay, get a PS3.
    If you want extreme multiplayer action and impressive graphics, get an Xbox 360.

(I'm probably not accurate at all, but that's just my opinion. Wii = Fun, PS3 = Graphics, Xbox 360 = Multiplayer)
    I agree with you on the categories. It's like Nintendo isnt worried about graphics like the other 2, they care more about gameplay and innovation in games.

I personally prefer getting both, thank you very much :P
    No seriously, I do find the graphics to be very important. Not necessarily the technical aspect, but at least the art style (and it's possible to make games that are very graphically appealing on the Wii - Super Mario Galaxy and Kirby's Epic Yarn are two examples). So essentially, I do have a problem with developers that don't put an effort into making there games pretty, but I have a bigger problem with developers that fail to make to, say, make the gameplay responsive.

As for the 3DS - NGP, I'm fairly sure I'll be getting a 3DS at launch, if for no other reasons that to see the technology first hand. As for the NGP, I haven't taken much of a look at it, but I don't doubt Sony will be pushing out some good hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by AstroDL View Post
    Last year at E3 Nintendo showed off their next-gen handheld, the Nintendo 3DS. 2 days ago Sony officially announced their next-gen handheld, the NGP(next gen portable/PSP2). Both are good looking systems but the NGP has near PS3 graphics.

So my question is: based on creative games vs power, which one would you choose?
    I hope your not implying that NGP ( sony's new handheld) can't have good and creative games at all.

Anyways I perfer games that are more creative then powerful but that doesn't mean you can't have both. Examples of such are Mass Effect, Garry's Mod, Left 4 Dead, Half Life series, Little Big Planet etc.

This next portable generation could have their roles reversed for the most part. The 3DS may flop since it can't do anything too impressive while the (NGP) could be doing all sorts of stuff thanks to various input methods, a better CPU and a good amount of ram.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    I hope your not implying that NGP ( sony's new handheld) can't have good and creative games at all.

Anyways I perfer games that are more creative then powerful but that doesn't mean you can't have both. Examples of such are Mass Effect, Garry's Mod, Left 4 Dead, Half Life series, Little Big Planet etc.

This next portable generation could have their roles reversed for the most part. The 3DS may flop since it can't do anything too impressive while the (NGP) could be doing all sorts of stuff thanks to various input methods, a better CPU and a good amount of ram.
    Oh no I'm not saying that the NGP can't have creative games at all. I mentioned the 3DS and NGP because they made me think about it. I thought the original DS wasn't going to do well but I was wrong. I just saw it as a underpowered ugly hand held that would fail at first. But my question wasn't specifically about the NGP and 3DS. Just in General.

Quote Originally Posted by AstroDL View Post
    Oh no I'm not saying that the NGP can't have creative games at all. I mentioned the 3DS and NGP because they made me think about it. I thought the original DS wasn't going to do well but I was wrong. I just saw it as a underpowered ugly hand held that would fail at first. But my question wasn't specifically about the NGP and 3DS. Just in General.
    I answered both. I think creative games are better then something like Crysis.

As for the newest handles it's too early to tell and this time I'll wait a while and let the fanboys and early adopter's fight it out until there is a clear leader. (I'm betting on the 3DS though.)

I definitely much prefer gameplay and a good story. Graphics are nice, but they're really secondary and all they need to do is contribute to good gameplay. I tend to like RPGs and Adventure, so I'd probably expect more from PSP2. But I'd definitely like to play some 3DS games. Nintendo does makes some fun games.

I definitely don't expect top notch graphics from a hand held system but I expect fully featured games. I'm a PC gamer anyways so my graphics are already better than a PS3's.