Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's bad enough being incontinent, but having the flu!

MATTTYCO

Angry It's bad enough being incontinent, but having the flu!

It's been quite a day and I've been through one too many changes thanks to our friend the stomach virus. I woke up this morning, and for the first time had discharged a lil loose #2. If it wasn't bad enough for me to be throwing up and sick, having to change nasty diapers just made me even worse!

Ever had the same issue?

*Pats* your brow gently...
    "Oh,,, yes... Two years ago, starting New Year's Eve, of all times!... Never, ever, been so ill in all my days! I damn-near slept IN the bathtub, to save me the trouble of trying to keep clean!" ::ICK!::
    Drink LOTS of fluids (NO cola, coffee, alcohol, and watch the fruit drinks, too! [excessive acids in things like orange/pineapple juice can make your tummy revolt even more!] ) If things don't improve after a couple-three days, seek medical attention. Dehydration is a real danger...

I wish you all the best, Matty!.

B.

ya, high acid drinks makes it worse. Don't feel like yer all alone I'm right there with ya. Been coughing my tail off too! *I'll spare the rest of the details

Keep up your fluids! Try dioralyte sachets from any chemist/pharmacist. Hope you will feel better soon. I know it's rotten but it will pass. If not, seek medical attention!

MATTTYCO

Thank goodness it was a 24 hour bug.. arg! OK- the flu season just needs to stop. That's the 2nd illness I got since new years. First time was just a cold, but this one was worse.

I too lived in the bath for 24 hours to stay clean! I love a good bath, but enough was enough for me.

Last year there was a particularly nasty bug going around at work, the initial 'typhoid mary' coworker described it as "can't trust a fart" flu. Truer words never spoken. Once at work and I think somewhere around 5 times at home I re-discovered this truth. I think I was too rattled and feeling bad to consider I could have just padded up and saved myself a whole lot of grief.

If there is a next time, I will be making a point to pad up 24/7.

Quote Originally Posted by MATTTYCO View Post
    It's been quite a day and I've been through one too many changes thanks to our friend the stomach virus. I woke up this morning, and for the first time had discharged a lil loose #2. If it wasn't bad enough for me to be throwing up and sick, having to change nasty diapers just made me even worse!

Ever had the same issue?
    Yep, but in my case, it was food poisoning. Lasted for three days.

You must have had a REALLY good reason for not getting a flu vaccination? Right?

I don't know about others, but my doc told me not to get flu shots (family history considered). I have had food poisoning 3 times in my life, and here is my recommendation: no matter how much better 7 up makes you feel, pomegranate flavored is a very bad idea. You cannot tell if you have ruptured something, or if it's just food dye.

If your doctor tells you not to get the flu vax, he is either very uninformed or a quack - the vaccine, despite the media frenzy, is remarkably well tested and proven. Unless there is a specific contraindication to vaccination, such as an egg allergy, it should be given. In the USA, or any industrialized or post-industrialized medical system, no one should ever die from flu - period!

Number two point, if a person thinks they might possibly maybe have the flu, they are probably wrong. It could be adenovirus, or RSV, both of which can be very severe (and both kill many young children and a few adults every year); or it could be one of the dozens of other very common, but pretty uncomfortable "cold" bugs; but influenza itself is severe... Influenza is not the cold, and though it can be mild, it is also quite very deadly. Influenza-related pneumonia kills tens-of-thousands per year.

Influenza is a remarkably misunderstood and under appreciated illness, even by experienced medical providers. This misunderstanding is what makes it dangerous. Medicine, as a science, is advanced enough to halt deaths from flu if we were to address it properly (from advancing vaccine development to treatment once infected); but unfortunately, medicine, as an art, is resistant.

The media misinformation is disturbing to say the least, and this is what drives the 'art' away from logic.

At least, IMNSHO...

Urgh, that reminds me of when I got my wisdom teeth out. I was in a lot of pain, so I diapered myself to give myself some comfort and relax me little bit, but somehow I got an infection (or, really, it coulda just been a poorly timed case of the flu, I'm still not sure which), which, when combined with my muscles being loosened and made less responive due to the painkillers I was on, the diapers became an absolutely essential necessity.