Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: State of the Union Opinions

Default State of the Union Opinions

I thought this would be a worthy thread to have, to get the opinion of you political buffs (or non-buffs) on what you thought about the President's speech tonight.

I missed some of it, so I'll have to catch up and post a bit later.

Add to this, the thread can also be used to discuss the Republican response, as well as the Tea Party (if its not an official response by the Tea Party, do correct me) response.

Obama is a great speaker and so I thought it was a good speech. I like much of what he had to say about education. The problem is that words are cheap. The economy will not support most of the goals of our nation. I must say however, that he did follow through on many of his promises from when he was elected, the most difficult of these was the health care bill. It will be interesting to see what gets accomplished in the next two years with a Republican House.

As a republican I won't bash Obama this time as I was thrilled he wasn't hammering on businesses or wall street so my investments won't crash tomorrow. In fact it was one of the most balanced speeches I have heard him give and it seemed to be a more of a patriotic rally call.

Quote Originally Posted by bbwanab View Post
    As a republican I won't bash Obama this time as I was thrilled he wasn't hammering on businesses or wall street so my investments won't crash tomorrow. In fact it was one of the most balanced speeches I have heard him give and it seemed to be a more of a patriotic rally call.
    Oh yes, I have to agree here. It seems like every time a politician opens their mouth, my stock portfolio crashes big time!

Yawn.

Can we please go back to the time where the SOTU was delivered in written form so we wouldn't have to go through this snoozefest?

It was a very centrist speech, remarkably so, even. He basically listed common sense ideas that, in a sane world where the parties were actually willing to work with each other, might actually appeal to enough of the membership on both sides (e.g. immigration reform that focuses on obvious stuff like immigration pathways for those on student visas and some form of the DREAM act).

Not that any of it really matters. A split Congress isn't going to get much of anything done that isn't absolutely required. A relatively token amount of badly needed infrastructure investment? No, that would be "more failed stimulus". Replace the subsidies we have for oil (little known fact: we subsidize oil more than we subsidize food), with subsidies for emerging clean energy sources, a move that makes sense both with respect to giving our country a competitive advantage in emerging technologies and incentivizing rather than disincentivizing a move towards energy independence? The oil-producing states tend to be major Republican strongholds.

It would be nice to see some of this stuff happen because it's sensible little stuff we could do that builds on common ground, but American politics is currently too polarized for me to have much hope for such.

AmbezeSubHealth

It would have been nice to hear him say something about fascism especially after we have recently learned about his strangely cozy relationship with GE.

Quote Originally Posted by AmbezeSubHealth View Post
    It would have been nice to hear him say something about fascism especially after we have recently learned about his strangely cozy relationship with GE.
    wat

Did I miss something, or did we really just invoke Goodwin's Law out of nowhere just 7 posts into a thread on the SOTU?

I thought it was a pretty good speech. How much is going to be done...

Really, it seemed like he spoke for 61 minutes and said nothing. He hit a few center-right topics that we need to figure out, but where were the policy suggestions on *how* to do any of those things? Nice speech, but lacking substance.

Paul Ryan did nothing to convince me that he's at all sane. He spent the time going on right-wing talking point after right-wing talking point about the deficit, all while ignoring that W never put the wars on the books.

Bachmann was on too late, but I'm sure it was laughable. She's about as smart as a sack of hammers, so I'd be genuinely surprised if anything of substance came from her mouth.

All in all, not the greatest night of political speeches.