Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which ps3 should I buy?!

Default Which ps3 should I buy?!

Okay so as you can probably tell from the title, I want to buy a ps3.

Don't get me wrong Xbox is amazing but, I am curious to see why people are so obsessed with ps3. Plus the fact that Ps3 has some awesome games only made for it is kind of a plus too. :P

But one of the main reasons I want a ps3 is so I can play some old fashioned ps2 games like Jak and Daxter or The Hobbit..

But the problem is that the new ps3 slim doesn't have ps2 compatibility..

So now I am forced to choose between the 1st or 2nd generations.

So I was wondering
    Between the 1st and 2nd gen. which brand of ps3 is better and longer lasting?

They are both the same, nothing much new between them.

2nd Gen is clearly different from the previous, first gen, so there must be either a fix, feature or possibly a different design than what the 1st Gen has.

PS3 slim has no backwards compatibility due to problems between the two.

If you just want to play PS2 games why dont you buy a PS2? Their pretty cheap. And you didnt mention blu ray so their really isnt any reason in buying it just for a few games, kinda crazy lol but whatever floats your boat i guess. I recommend getting one of the first gen ones, cheaper and not overpriced pieces of crap like the later ones and it will play your PS2 games
    Last edited by BabyNaruto; 23-Jan-2011 at 16:03.

I'd actually get the first generation model. I just like the design of it, plus it has the PS2 compatibility (well, mine does, anyway. Not all of the first gens have it either). The newer model has more HDD space but this is irrelevant as it uses laptop HDD's so it's easily upgrade-able. Also, the first gen is far cheaper which is always nice. I got mine for $250 and have no regrets about it. Though like LittleDaniel said if you only want to play PS2 games, PS2's are only about $50 now.

I think the second gen is an overpriced piece of junk, tbh, but that's only my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleDaniel View Post
    If you just want to play PS2 games why dont you buy a PS2? Their pretty cheap. And you didnt mention blu ray so their really isnt any reason in buying it just for a few games, kinda crazy lol
    The PS2 can't upscale the game resolution. The backwards compatible PS3's can. Even though the resolution isn't as good as it would be for an actual PS3 game, the picture still looks better than what a PS2 will output (when connected to an HD TV). Also, you don't have to buy memory cards or extra controllers for the PS2 (even though both would likely be cheap).

But do watch out which 'phat' PS3 you get, if you get one. They aren't all backwards compatible, and some only have BC via software emulation (doesn't support as many games as hardware-based 'emulation'). You'll want one that does BC by hardware (it actually has the PS2 CPU, in addition to the PS3 CPU). Check out the chart on this page: PlayStation 3 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Only the first two PS3's on that list (20GB and 60GB NTSC) have hardware BC. Of those two, only the 60GB (model numbers CECHAxx) has WiFi.

I have a CECHAxx and I love it. That said, the smaller form factor of the PS3 Slim is kind of nice if you plan on transporting it a lot. And its processor and graphics chip are smaller than what was used in the 'phat' PS3, so it consumes less power and runs cooler (see chart: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3_hardware). However, if you want BC, tracking down a CECHAxx is the way to go.

I won a PS3, so I only have experience with the slim, but there are tons of PS3 only titles, and PS3 Only DLC. I would suggest getting the newer slim model, and a PS2.

Quote Originally Posted by JATO457 View Post
    I won a PS3, so I only have experience with the slim, but there are tons of PS3 only titles, and PS3 Only DLC. I would suggest getting the newer slim model, and a PS2.
    Note that he said a ton of PS3 only titles and not "a ton of good PS3 titles". good being the keyword. (joke)

But seriously the PS3 does have GT5 finally, little big planet which was so endless it needed a sequel, also it has Heavy Rain and finally got one of the Mass effect games. Now, im willing to be Mass Effect 2 is the best all around game on the PS3 and it uses the Mass Effect 3 engine. Of course it's odd getting Mass effect 2 when they never got the first, but there's game exclusivity for ya. Sony lead it for the PS2, but are seriously lacking for the PS3.

There are also some very good PS3 only DLC such as Mafia II's current download.

Get an original 60GB US model they play EVERYTHING also theres a guy through EBAY who will reball and resolder the GPU and CPU if you get a yellow light of death and he will use LEADED solder which sticks better and doesnt crack like the lead free stuff for a reasonable fee if it breaks ^.^ (my buddy used him and got great service when his PS3 broke). My original 60 GB model still runs fine and i use it in some capacity almost every day!

If PS2 compatibility is an issue AND you want PS3/PSN games and DLC, get the first-gen PS3. If you want it for only PS2 games, just get a PS2. Gamestop just knocked the price down to $39.99. Don't go for the biggest hard drive you can find, though, because the hard drive can be easily upgrade with a standard 2.5" laptop HDD (and is encouraged by Sony). If you decide on a PS3, don't forget about the blu-ray player, all the downloadable content from PSN and the new PS Move (which is awesome, btw).

The overall question is what do you plan do use it mostly for and what is your budget?

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    Note that he said a ton of PS3 only titles and not "a ton of good PS3 titles". good being the keyword. (joke)

But seriously the PS3 does have GT5 finally, little big planet which was so endless it needed a sequel, also it has Heavy Rain and finally got one of the Mass effect games. Now, im willing to be Mass Effect 2 is the best all around game on the PS3 and it uses the Mass Effect 3 engine. Of course it's odd getting Mass effect 2 when they never got the first, but there's game exclusivity for ya. Sony lead it for the PS2, but are seriously lacking for the PS3.
    Just like any console, you have to weed through bad games to find the real gems.

In terms of Mass Effect, no idea why they didn't release ME1 but at least they give you a recap with ME2 and allow you to choose certain key decisions you would have made in the first one. Also, there IS a bunch of DLC!