Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Startrek is becoming real again

Default Startrek is becoming real again

But they've codenamed it DH3

If they don't name it Transparent aluminum Trekkies will kill them all >:C

A new type of damage-tolerant metallic glass, demonstrating a strength and toughness beyond that of any known material, has been developed and tested by a collaboration of researchers with the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE)’s Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (Berkeley Lab)and the California Institute of Technology. What’s more, even better versions of this new glass may be on the way.

The new metallic glass is a microalloy featuring palladium, a metal with a high “bulk-to-shear” stiffness ratio that counteracts the intrinsic brittleness of glassy materials.
    “Because of the high bulk-to-shear modulus ratio of palladium-containing material, the energy needed to form shear bands is much lower than the energy required to turn these shear bands into cracks,” Ritchie says. “The result is that glass undergoes extensive plasticity in response to stress, allowing it to bend rather than crack.”
    New Glass Tops Steel in Strength and Toughness « Berkeley Lab News Center
    Last edited by leffykit; 18-Jan-2011 at 14:10. Reason: additional info added

I'd be pissed at them if they named it transparent aluminum given that the metal base is palladium, I'd be cool with transparent palladium as a shout-out to trekkies though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jewbacca View Post
    I'd be pissed at them if they named it transparent aluminum given that the metal base is palladium, I'd be cool with transparent palladium as a shout-out to trekkies though.
    I'm with Jewbacca on this one.

Butterfly Mage

Transparent Palladium does have a trekkie sort of ring to it.

My wedding ring is made of palladium. It is a pretty hard metal. It's shiny and pretty as well.

Wonders if this means we will soon see in a few years some buildings or cars made form this

that would be interseting, completely see-through cars

Butterfly Mage

Of course, palladium is $400/ounce, so it'll be likely used for military applications only.

Quote Originally Posted by Colfpup View Post
    that would be interseting, completely see-through cars
    that would be disturbing.. everyone could see what was in your trunk after coming from the medical supply store!

Quote Originally Posted by aydensboy View Post
    that would be disturbing.. everyone could see what was in your trunk after coming from the medical supply store!
    Paint meet car, car meet paint.

not to mention who want's to drive a see through car?

Quote Originally Posted by Siddy View Post
    Wonders if this means we will soon see in a few years some buildings or cars made form this
    Wonder Woman can finally get that Invisible Jet she's been asking for.