Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Diapers and Travel

Default Diapers and Travel

I almost posted this in the diaper vending machine thread but I was meaning to open a discussion on diapers and travel anyways so here goes...

Before I get into this, check out the restroom I found in the Phoenix, AZ airport today:

http://www.adisc.org/gallery/showpho...anging&cat=501

After seeing that sign, I HAD to go in and see what that was about. Sure enough, there was an adult-sized changing table there.

So back to the point of this thread, does anyone else try to check out the local offerings on adult diapers, especially when traveling to foreign countries? I seem to find TENA products almost everywhere but sometimes there are other interesting local options. A few years back I was at this large shopping mall in Singapore just looking around to kill time because I had a 9 hour layover. Inside the mall there was a large store that sold almost everything from produce to office supplies to household goods, etc. While I was looking in it, I found a fairly large section of adult diapers ranging from stuff that looked really cheap and ineffective, to some above mentioned well known brands. I remember one was called Dr. P, which kind of cracked me up.

http://www.adisc.org/gallery/showpho...e-mall&cat=501
    Singapore Shopping Mall

I've also spent quite a bit of time in India. The thing that always really annoyed me about trying to buy adult diapers in India is that if you appear remotely Western looking, every employee of the store wants to be your personal shopper. If you so much as glance at the adult diaper section, they immediately start pulling packages down and trying to sell you on this one or that one (I've had this happen!) One other notable thing about India is that adult diapers seem to only come in small packages. I think the largest ones I've seen had a quantity of 6 or 8, and as low as 3 and they are relatively expensive. In the pharmacy below, they only had 3-packs. (But the place next door called Happy X-Ray is so funny!)

http://www.adisc.org/gallery/showpho...india1&cat=501
    Indian pharmacy

So, does anyone else do this and if so, have interesting stories?

EDIT: Let me know if you can't see the pictures. It was tricky getting it to work.

Interesting, I've put a lot of thought into travel and I've always been curious as to diapers over seas. May I ask which foreign country has the best?

I ALWAYS look for diapers when I travel. Never had any luck (other than Drynites) in Europe in regular stores. When driving across the United States, I try to stop in as many stores as I can to look for diapers. Never had any luck in Sydney, when I went there, despite my best efforts (I purely looked around the harbor), and I've never been to Asia...yet.

Wow that is incredible which places have changing stations for adults who wear diapers, I guess it goes to show perhaps more people are becoming open minded than before.

Quote Originally Posted by RPM1978 View Post
    Wow that is incredible which places have changing stations for adults who wear diapers, I guess it goes to show perhaps more people are becoming open minded than before.
    Or more people are traveling with their IC family members. I honestly think it's less to cater for people who just like to wear and more to be convenient for those who must wear.
    Last edited by CuddleWoozle; 18-Jan-2011 at 14:37. Reason: clarifying...

Quote Originally Posted by CuddleWoozle View Post
    Or more people are traveling with their IC family members. I honestly think it's less to cater for people who just like to wear and more to be convenient for those who must wear.
    That's a good point

Quote Originally Posted by RPM1978 View Post
    That's like saying, "I see more and more handicap accessible places around. I guess it goes to show perhaps more people are becoming handicap than before."

For those of you traveling and looking for diapers, you might just want to try a pharmacy, probably the most reliable place, period.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetsativa View Post
    Interesting, I've put a lot of thought into travel and I've always been curious as to diapers over seas. May I ask which foreign country has the best?
    Singapore had the widest selection. I've also looked in a few other countries without a whole lot of success. I think that it might be harder to find them in some countries that have socialized medial systems because they are provided directly to patients for free rather than people having to buy them at the store. If you are looking and want a high rate of success, check out pharmacies or medical supply stores.