Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying diapers when living with housemates

Default Buying diapers when living with housemates

I live in a house with 4 other students, and I'm the furthest bedroom away from the door. I can hear the door being knocked on, but I won't be the first to get to the door...

I managed to get away with a sample pack, as the postman actually put it in our back garden!

But I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to get a delivery company to leave the package behind a gate, or to phone before delivering so I can meet them somewhere?

Like ideally, I'd want them to stop the van in the road and go meet them... or deliver it to a post office...

Or, anyone have any good ideas for lies to tell housemates? Because I won't risk a big order, but even a 12 pack needs a good lie behind it!

Thanks all!

Being that you're 21, it seems like a good old fashioned "it's personal" should suit them fine. If they aren't your parents (heck, even if they ARE..) they don't need to know what you buy!

You could tell them it's just some personal old collectables and prefer not to share. And you wouldn't even be lying about it that way.

crazykittensmile

I don't think any delivery company will leave the package behind a gate or phone before delivering. Generally delivery companies want to leave parcels in a secure location, ideally inside the house (and often a signature is required) and calling recipients before delivery wastes both time and money. Your best bet would either be to get the order delivered when you know only you will be there, or when you know nobody will be home (that way you can arrange to have it redelivered to your local post office for collection). However, you will probably only be able to arrange for the item to be delivered on a specific day rather than at a specific time.

Many companies offer next day delivery, so I would order the package to arrive on a day you will be home all day. If you have a communal area near the front door (kitchen? living room?) then you could try and hang out in that room all day to be the first to the door. But even then, your housemates will likely see the package and want to know what's inside it.

Your best bet, therefore, it probably to lie about what's in the package. Bear in mind if they collected the package and have lifted it then they will have an idea with regards to weight. The key is for the item you say is in your package to be big/heavy enough to warrant the package, but uninteresting enough that your housemates won't want to see the item. It also needs to be something they would believe you'd be receiving. Alternatively you could say you are receiving the item on behalf of somebody else, but you'd need a good reason as to why they had it delivered to your home and not theirs.

Computer parts
    New pillows/towels or other uninteresting linen
    Books for university
    A gift for a friend/family member
    Something for a friend/family member (computer parts? car parts? etc) - they weren't at home any day this week to sign for it and knew you would be so had it sent to your address.
    New shoes/boots

I have found with my housemate that when I have told her what's inside the packages I've received she hasn't really challenged me. I'm fairly sure that she didn't believe me last time I tried to give an excuse for what was in the very large box I received, but your housemates are unlikely to turn around and say 'You're lying!" even if they don't quite buy your story. Saying it is a gift or package for someone else is a particularly good excuse as it also gives you an excuse not to open it yet.

Also, bear in mind that, if you are using frequently, the more times you order the more chances you have of being caught. The first time I ordered nappies in my current house I only ordered a small number. I soon ran out and had to order more, which meant I was once again receiving a strange large box I couldn't quite explain through the post. As I said, I don't think my housemate bought my excuse (although there was nothing she could really say about that). Whilst receiving a large box with several packs of nappies in it is harder to explain, one large box you receive once will be easier to explain than receiving several smaller packages over the course of a few months. Once you have used an excuse once, generally that is it and you won't be able to use it again. So, if you know you will go through a 12-pack of nappies quickly and will be in this position again in a few weeks, you may decide it will be easier just to receive one large box of nappies which will last you much longer.

Good luck. Make sure you order from a discreet seller where there is nothing incriminating written on the box, and as said by FadeLB above me, what you order is not the business of any of your friends, and if they start trying to hassle you to show them what is inside the box then you have every right to tell them that you don't want to open it right now.

With many delivery companies you can request that the package be held at a local facility. You can often do this through UPS or fedex's tracking page. I have done this a few times as I live in an apartment and all of the packages go through the management office.

You can then go to the ups or fedex office and pick them up.

I've taken the risk and ordered some Abena off bambo-nature.co.uk - from what everyone's said on here they should be pretty discrete. Annoyingly, they required two items or more before they'd ship anything, so I had to get 2x12 which worked out more than 1x24... but I'd rather see how big the 2x12 pack comes to than risk getting 2x24 delivered!

Fingers crossed it will be here tuesday or wednesday, I'm free most of each day, and hopefully can get to the door without anyone noticing! Does anyone one know roughly how big 2x12 will be? I'm hoping not a big cardboard box - though I'll go with the "mum sent up clothes and shoes" if it's too big...

Excited!!!

Babyjess had some sound advice. It's much easier to hide a large number of diapers than it is ordering them like grains of sand.
    As for the sizing. 30cm by 20cm by 30cm sound like a good guess? I haven't ordered any abenas. But they don't differ from too much in size from everyone.
    The good thing about ordering in large volume is that you have a better chance of planning to receive it on a day when no one else is in (or will be awake at least). I mostly do this during the holiday periods when everyone goes home. But you may not have the plans to stay there longer than you want, or you have the odd housemate that is staying in there all the time due to work or being an international student where home isn't that easy for them to get to.

seen as you are in England? use allaboutincontinence.co.uk they have a little delivery options thing and they will leave it where you ask.

I agree with mango, this is how I would go about it.

Quote Originally Posted by mango View Post
    With many delivery companies you can request that the package be held at a local facility. You can often do this through UPS or fedex's tracking page. I have done this a few times as I live in an apartment and all of the packages go through the management office.

You can then go to the ups or fedex office and pick them up.

Tehnoob

If is in a discreet box just say I ordered 6 cases of condoms and tell them to get the hell away from my mail

Quote Originally Posted by Tehnoob View Post
    If is in a discreet box just say I ordered 6 cases of condoms and tell them to get the hell away from my mail
    What if they want you to share said condoms? That is a TON of condoms!